Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Simple things Dempsey could do to make things better

Options
  • 17-08-2005 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

I'd like peoples thoughts on 5 or less things that Dempsey could do in the morning that would start to make an immediate difference to telecoms in Ireland.

As is stated, I'm looking for simple things he can actually do. Firing ComReg or splitting up eircom are not options.

Things like:
    Removing the Electronic Communication Appeals Panel
    Defining Broadband as being Always-on
    Making E-Net and the ESB give free fibre to GBS's etc

Suggestions please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Publicly support ComReg

Do not answer who is reponsible with "NOT ME!"

make School BB automatic GBS for area by simple expedient of sicking an Wifi antena on the school

reclaim dark fibre unused, especially where gov paid for it i.e western digital corridor

John

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

jwt wrote:
    make School BB automatic GBS for area by simple expedient of sicking an Wifi antena on the school
    John
    But then the country would be riddled with VSAT hotspots. VSAT != broadband

.brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

bminish wrote:
    VSAT != broadband

Don't start, just don't :D

John

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Surprised nobody's mentioned the USO yet. A reasonable USO wouldn't just improve the standard of living for everyone, it would put Eircom in the spotlight big time. TBH at this stage I don't think any punches should be pulled, it should be at least 33.6k, if not higher.

Supporting ComReg would be the last thing I'd do. They don't need hugs, they need a kick up the hole.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Denmark solved that problem long ago by forceing their version of eircom to make sure lines were capable of carrying ISDN...so when DSL became popular lines were in perfect condition for it.

Is the ESB still a semi-state company?

That appeals panel sickens me...as eircom know exactly what to do to win an appeal!!!
    I wonder how much they spend in their legal department?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Admit, once and for all, that the situation is not as fantastic as the regulator keeps claiming. For as long as he's in denial, will he ever have any reason to do anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Fergus Cassidy

I'd be in favour of a mandatory flat rate ISDN.

By my last reckoning there were 400,000 people on ISDN in Ireland. Due to unavailability of broadband outside of cities and large towns, I'd say that figure is going up.

The revenues for this 'service' must be huge. I pay Euro31 per month (excl vat) plus Euro25 for ISP charges. That's Euro56 per month for 64k, which ironically is called Hi-speed. With VAT added it's Euro37 + 25 = Euro62. If I lived in Dublin, that would buy me a hefty bandwidth access. The telcos are milking ISDN for all its worth and it should be stopped.

Why should any telco provide broadband to people on ISDN when the figures are this good?

Some sort of flat rate ISDN should be mandated eg normal line rental charge should apply for ISDN where exchange hasn't been upgraded for ADSL.

Fergus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

1. True flat rate for dialup users who'll never get decent broadband
    2. An appeals body with statutory powers, that have a final say, that can convene and rule in short spaces of time, made up of credible experts who are independent
    3. Decent USO of at least 28K8, rising to 33K3 after a year
    4. Reduced line rental for those on a sub standard line, allowing for a period of 1 month to have the line brought up to standard. Standard being DSL 512K minium.
    5. Misc. ComReg improvements: Decent consumer representation (where $decent ne "Consumer Advisory Panel"), power of turnover-linked fines, external & independent review of reports and review of performance and effectiveness using clearly defined metrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

cgarvey wrote:
    1. True flat rate for dialup users who'll never get decent broadband

I'd be more with Mr. Cassidy on this one. :) I don't think true flat rate (I presume you mean 24/7) is as much an issue as the combined line rental + FRIACO access price is at the moment. A smart customer pays €35 a month for rental + 2mb/128k, while I pay €37.50 a month for isdn line rental alone. Plus €27 for BT FRIACO, = €64.50 a month!

(so yeah it all comes back to line rental costs, pstn as well as isdn, but I guess imposing a big reduction isn't a perfectly simple thing he could do... ;))

Defining a USO is probably the best one then, and imposing a reasonable deadline on when it has to be 100% available.

And stopping the lies about DSL coverage. That's actually the easiest thing to do if the guy has any bloody self-respect at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ooo, I thought I had posted here. :confused:

The energy regulator barred Bord Gáis from setting up distribution networks ("the last mile" - as opposed to transmission network) in some midlands towns and tendered for other operators to build and run the distribution networks.

For comms, the same should be done with large new housing estates and development ares - e.g. the North Fringe in Dublin, Ballymun regeneration, Adamstown, etc. and in the rapidly growing commuter towns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Get ComReg some better lawyers. And scrap ECAP. And stop pretending everything's fine.

andrew163 wrote:
    And stop pretending everything's fine.
    That should probably IrelandOffline's motto for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

dahamsta wrote:
    That should probably IrelandOffline's motto for next season.

I'd like to also utilize the phrases "reality-based", "curious logical leaps" and "faith-based regulations"

:)

damien.m wrote:
    "faith-based regulations"
    I like that. The phrase "intelligent design" springs to mind too for some reasons.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

1) Use the buying power that the Government has to 'encourage' Eircom to stop the delaying tactics and enable a proper LLU scheme.

2) Put a proper regulatory framework in place, with real powers for the regulator and hefty fines for companies which breach the regulations.

3) Co-ordinate a joined up policy on BB provision in 'un-economic' areas. The crazy situation where the Schools program could undermine the GBS program is just one example of how not to do it.

4) Appoint a senior figure to co-ordinate the country's BB strategy, and plan the path forward so we can truely become an e-economy.

5) Set realistic goals for BB takeup, and make someone responsible for achieving them (see point 4)

Off course all of this requires looking beyond the next media story or opinion poll, not something which politicians, especially Irish ones, are good at.

M.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mr_Man wrote:
    ...the Schools program could undermine the GBS program...
    Curious what you mean by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

A simple example. A GBS is working to gather votes in a village and surronding area, while the local school is awarded to a wireless ISP. The ISP will provide the service to the school, and the village but not the surronding area because it is not economical for them to do so.

The result is that the people living outside the village are 'stranded' as there is not enough interest without the numbers from the village to make it viable even for a GBS.

If the schools and GBS scheme had been joined up they could compliment each other rather than undermine.

HTH
    M.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

OK, gotcha.

In theory, the community should make sure that doesn't happen. They sign off on the GBS proposal, and if it doesn't cover the area they want they should tell the provider to bog off.

I guess that depends on there being sufficient competition, of course.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Damien

1. Foster, or incentivise widening of cable modem use for provision of BB services. UPC/UGC will make this work with the merged NTL and Chorus company.

2. Expedite the three bills in communications: 1. Misc provisions. 2. Wireless Telegraphy Act 3. Broadcasting Act. Include Policy Directions under the 1972 EU Communitites Act to make rogue operators comply.

3. Execute ECAP appeals straight away and make the ECAP deliver in 4 weeks.

4. Give the Chair of ComReg back to John Doherty or Isolde Goggin in the next round selection for the helm at ComReg.

5. Stop trying to fudge figures by including leased line data in reports that should deal with loop or cable offered broadband.

5 a. Consider working with minister for the environment to make access to civils and rights of way more attractive to telcos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Tom Young wrote:
    5. Stop trying to fudge figures by including leased line data in reports that should deal with loop or cable offered broadband.

Have you got examples of that to-hand?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

we have 20000 or so leased lines , probably less nowadays, are these being double counted in the BB figures which should be DSL only ?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

The ministers intention was to count differently.

Damien, I have seen letters to mobile and fixed telco's from DCMNR requesting submissions of leased line information, as a kind of favour request to Dempsey development division. Most publicaly quoted companies could not do this for ISEQ and SEC publication rules.

Advertisement