Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat Zyxel Modem Advice

• 18-08-2005 12:43am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

have a zyxel modem that was supplied with my package(1mb) and just somethin thats been bugging me is that the lights on it seem to be acting up slightly. the power sys and dsl lights are constant green, the usb is off as i dont use it and the 10/100M and ACT lights are constantly flashing amber, well whenever i seem to use it they flash, its as if theres a problem connecting the laptop to the modem,however i notice no problem with slowdown really, maybe the oddtime i lose connection but nothing major. i usually have it connected to a belkin 802.11g router and when i use wifi i tend to lose the signal completely after a while, but on ethernet i get the same as if im just cabled directly to the modem, anyone got any ideas for me? its just a bit irritating having the lights goin like that. as far as i remember they aint supposed to, ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

They're just link & activity lights, don't worry about them :)

splinter wrote:
    have a zyxel modem that was supplied with my package(1mb) and just somethin thats been bugging me is that the lights on it seem to be acting up slightly. the power sys and dsl lights are constant green, the usb is off as i dont use it and the 10/100M and ACT lights are constantly flashing amber, well whenever i seem to use it they flash, its as if theres a problem connecting the laptop to the modem,however i notice no problem with slowdown really, maybe the oddtime i lose connection but nothing major. i usually have it connected to a belkin 802.11g router and when i use wifi i tend to lose the signal completely after a while, but on ethernet i get the same as if im just cabled directly to the modem, anyone got any ideas for me? its just a bit irritating having the lights goin like that. as far as i remember they aint supposed to, ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

splinter wrote:

POWER & SYS - these should stay on green at all times. Any other colour indicates a fault (of course, after you first switch the modem on, these lights will blink, or turn other colours such as red or orange for a few seconds - this is part of the power on self test)

10/100M - this light will remain steady amber when the ethernet is connected and no traffic is sent/received (even if PC is off it will stay on once the CAT cable is connected at both ends). It will blink amber while data is being sent/received to/from the modem and the PC.

DSL - this should stay steady green to indicate the DSL link is up and should be lit all the time. It will blink if the connection drops, or will blink while it is establishing a connection.

ACT (ACTivity)- this will remain on amber whilst an actual connection is up. It should remain on constantly (if you have set the modem to "Nailed Up Connection") or will switch off after a certain length of time of no activity. It will blink amber while data is being sent / received to / from your exchange and the modem.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

thanks folks, just setting my mind at ease, was unsure as ive seen a few modems where the 10/100M remains constant green to show a good connection and flasxhes to indicate a bad connection, thanks again

Advertisement