Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar at Milky Way's heart revealed (article)

Options
  • 18-08-2005 4:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't spot this in any of the recent threads and I'm sure some of you already know this but I thought this might be of interest to some. :)

Bar at Milky Way's heart revealed. (New Scientist)

Extract wrote:
    The Milky Way is not a perfect spiral galaxy but instead sports a long bar through its centre, according to new infrared observations from NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope.

(Edit)An alternative from my preferred source ;)
    A Bar at the Heart of the Milky Way (Scientific American)

The Milky Way may be our own galactic neighborhood, but it still has some surprises in store. To wit: the most comprehensive structural analysis of the galaxy ever conducted indicates that ours is not a run-of-the-mill spiral one after all.

Enjoy :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

mmmmm... Milky Way bar...

This means the map of the Milky Way they gave away with the magazine a few weeks ago is useless now... I had it on my wall and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

mmmmm... Milky Way bar...

This means the map of the Milky Way they gave away with the magazine a few weeks ago is useless now... I had it on my wall and everything.

National Geographic is better for posters in my experience. I got an "Earth at Night" one up atm. It's a nice image :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Maybe I missed something, but certainly at least 18 months ago it was taught on my degree course that our galaxy was slightly barred already.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Spear wrote:
    Maybe I missed something, but certainly at least 18 months ago it was taught on my degree course that our galaxy was slightly barred already.

Was it from a theoretical viewpoint? Or maybe barred in a different context.

I never took any Astrophysics, so I'm not that well up on this stuff. Just say the article and thought it might interest people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭planck2

It bring's new meaning to the name the chocolate bar called "Milky Way Bar"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

nesf wrote:
    Was it from a theoretical viewpoint? Or maybe barred in a different context.

I never took any Astrophysics, so I'm not that well up on this stuff. Just say the article and thought it might interest people.

In the context it was stated it was given as a nailed down tight fact.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The central bar in the Milky Way has been widely known and accepted amiong the astronomical community for about 11 or 12 years now - earlier infrared observations (like that of the COBE mission) detected a peanut shaped bulge to the galaxy that strongly suggested a bar.

The new map of the galaxy shows a cetral bar far larger and longer than perviously believed. I find it quite amazing that we can even map our galaxy from inside it.

Advertisement