Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What type of music

• 18-08-2005 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

I was at a house party at the weekend where I heard some great music I didn't know the type of. It was basically house with a medium-ish tempo and a very deep, slightly dark sound to it - the word I would use to describe the feeling to the music would be exploratory (if that makes sense!). I thought that it would be deep house, but I've downloaded some and it's not really anything like it. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I was at a house party at the weekend where I heard some great music I didn't know the type of. It was basically house with a medium-ish tempo and a very deep, slightly dark sound to it - the word I would use to describe the feeling to the music would be exploratory (if that makes sense!). I thought that it would be deep house, but I've downloaded some and it's not really anything like it. Any ideas?

I'd say it was probably deep tech house with some proggy stuff thrown in. If you really need to know why not track down someone who was at the party or maybe even one of the djs themselves to get a definitive answer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭sur_1_nuage

could be electro - house

These days "deep house" is a very generic term (alot like "house" really). There's alot of really funky deep house out there and also alot of darker more techy stuff as well as everything in between!

It's all good anyway... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭weak infant

http://www.ishkur.com/music/#

have a root around in there, probably the quickest way to find out what genre you are listening to. but you are probably better off giving somebody a phone call because they'll be thrilled to hear you liked it and they'll know exactly what you were listening to. you could spend years looking around for songs you heard at a party and you wouldn't find them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭grimsbymatt

http://www.ishkur.com/music/#

have a root around in there, probably the quickest way to find out what genre you are listening to. but you are probably better off giving somebody a phone call because they'll be thrilled to hear you liked it and they'll know exactly what you were listening to. you could spend years looking around for songs you heard at a party and you wouldn't find them.
    That site looks great. I'll have an explore of it at home later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

probably breaks or electro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Don't know where people are getting electro from, this sounds like a clear case of (dark) progressive house.

Get yourself a bit of Satoshi Tomiie, Infusion, Lexicon Avenue and see if it's similar.

Some mixes by James Holden, James Lavelle might also be in order.

Sander Kleinenberg also does a nice bit of breaky prog / proggy breaks.

Sico wrote:

Agreed Sico. I dig both his Renaissance and This Is Everybody Too mixed cds and I'm into proggy stuff at all really. Haven't heard anything else by him although I've heard his earlier stuff is alot more progressive (which is kinda ironic when ya think about it) - or I'm more stoned than I thought! :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭weak infant

prog is a clear case of "nobody listens to that anymore"! (i'm only messing, i don't know)
    what's the best liveset of prog you've ever heard?
    does the renaissance cd from digweed and sasha count as prog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭grimsbymatt

Sico wrote:
    Don't know where people are getting electro from, this sounds like a clear case of (dark) progressive house.

Get yourself a bit of Satoshi Tomiie, Infusion, Lexicon Avenue and see if it's similar.

Some mixes by James Holden, James Lavelle might also be in order.

Agreed, it definitely wasn't electro. I'll check out some of your suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

sasha and digweends renaissance is more old skool prog its full of leftfied tracks and the like. get your self a digweed Global Underground cd, crackin stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Satoshi Tomiie's Global Underground: NuBreed 6 mix album is one of my favourite prog mixes.

Nick Warren used to give savage mixes back in the day (him and Digweed are probably the two big-name DJs I've seen most often in my life!), although I haven't heard much I've liked in recent years bar Renaissance: Revelation with Danny Howells.

Unfortunately you don't get that much decent prog in Dublin anymore. Most of the house crowd are into gay0r funky house or cheesy disco. Stylus, about the only prog night going of late, recently finished up (partly due to lack of numbers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

prog is a clear case of "nobody listens to that anymore"! (i'm only messing, i don't know)
    what's the best liveset of prog you've ever heard?
    does the renaissance cd from digweed and sasha count as prog?
    I am one (of the few) who really likes prog. Always have really. Don't care if it's an obnoxious genre title :D

Nick Warren does have some great stuff - though his new Shanghai GU CD is probably a lot more eclectic (havn't bought it yet). Global Underground is definatley a good place to start. Personally I really like James Holden and Luke Chable's stuff... Satoshi Tomiie is a safe bet too. Renaissance are still producing good stuff - Hernan Cattaneo's Renaisance Masteers is supposed to be really good. However I'd warn you away from Renaissance's The Therapy Sessions, even though Chable did a disc of it.

I have some GU NuBreed's and they're good, however I prefer the original stuff people like Digweed/Warren/et al. did in the standard GU Format. Some of those 'might' be relatively cheap if you look hard enough.

Protonradio.com is a good place to start, as is progressivehouse.com. Maybe check out Shiloh too.

Potential others you might like (please don't nit-pick about being strictly prog):
    Desyn Masiello
    James Zabiela
    Matthew Dekay

Sorry if that's a bit vague but I'm trying to cover all angles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Hedge

You could try the Tyrant CDs. Also Terry Francis (but stay clear of his Fabric effort). Global Underground New breeds are good.

For deep house try downloading some Lawnchair Generals. They are pretty deep down and chunky. Inland Knights are good too. Look at the mix section on www.bodytonicmusic.com for a sample.

For breaks look no further than the Fingerlickin' Thang compilations (Number 3 being the most recent and accessible). Or for Old School Breaks try Fabriclive 19 (freestylers).

For some real Boompty Boompty go for some of the Classic Crew (Rob Mello, Derrick Carter, DJ Heather, Luke Solomon)

For the best backing CD at a party go for Kruder and Dorfmeister DJ Kicks

Advertisement