Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help or to point at and laugh at!!!! cheers

Options
  • 18-08-2005 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

here goes

Ibought this set up a few weeks ago and booted up fine,

301418 Fortron/Source Powersupply ATX 400W rev2
    120mm, SATA Special Edition, 24pin

Sapphire Radeon X800XL 256MB GDDR3
    PCI-Express,Tv-Out, DVI-I, Full-Retail

2x Crucial PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL3 5ns
    Unbuffered, Non-parity, 2.5V, 64Meg x 64

Abit Fatal1ty AN8, nForce4 Ultra, Socket
    -939,ATX,S-ATA,GbLAN,Firewire,PCI-Ex16

Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA
    8MB 10000RPM

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Socket
    939, 1MB, BOXED w/fan

The only problem arises when playing battlefield2 and to a lesser degree halflife2 both on full settings at a res of 1024x798@75Hz

Sometimes reboots during loading of BF2 but mostly crashes to desktop after a few minutes of play.

There is 1.5G memory install 2 modules are the following
    2x Crucial PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL3 5ns
    Unbuffered, Non-parity, 2.5V, 64Meg x 64

and another, same size and speed but unbranded stuff.
    I took out the unbranded module but same thing happens.

attached are some captures of CPU-z

Running xp pro sp2
    all latest drivers and firmware have been installed
    Its a pain when you spend lots of time any money all for the sake
    of FPS and realism in games, Sad really!!!

Last thing when it doesn't crash it gives around the 30-40 fps

Clock Information
    BIOS VPU 400.00
    Current VPU 398.25
    BIOS MEM 490.00
    Current MEM 492.75

Monitor/Panel: Dell P991
    Adapter: RADEON X800 Series (Omega 2.6.53)
    Adapter: RADEON X800 Series Secondary (Omega 2.6.53)

And I must get normal CPU and RAM settings too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

afaik, they fixed sme issues wit BF2 and the XL cards in the Catalyst 5.8 what was released yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭simonp1

Will give it a try tonight
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

See, lot's of help! Also you are using non-standard drivers (Omega). Try with the official Catalyst drivers first. I have often had beta/tweaked drivers crash my machine during games etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Also I note you have Overclocked yer X2 to 216mhz FSB, whilst your RAM is non-branded PC-3200. That could cause issues too.

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Inquitus wrote:
    Also I note you have Overclocked yer X2 to 216mhz FSB, whilst your RAM is non-branded PC-3200. That could cause issues too.

It happens when he takes out the unbranded stick too. I agree with you do though - my first candidate to point the finger at is that the RAM can't take the overclock

Switch back to 200FSB and report back here

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote:

Inqui
    /me kicks myself

I didn't notice that. I agree with both Inquitus and unkel, drop back to stock and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭terbo

simonp1 wrote:
    Will give it a try tonight
    thanks

Hi.
    I had similar problems with my x800xt pe, it turnes out that the motherboard used intel chipset, if your does go to the intel site and download the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard, the windows installer is very handy.
    also make sure you have .net framework installed as this causes crashes to desktop if not installed.
    im no techie but i hope it helps

thanks guys

Ill try that tonight, its overclocked with a utility that came with the motherboard OC Guru. I havent come to grips with overclocking really just used this utility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

"Sometimes reboots during loading of BF2 but mostly crashes to desktop after a few minutes of play"

usually when this happens to me it is graphics card overheating, either that or a non stable overclock on gfx or cpu

Temps top 71c on the gfx and system 55c can't remember what the cpu hits I'll check tonight again they all seem normal enough but I might be wrong.

• Advertisement

simonp1 wrote:
    Temps top 71c on the gfx and system 55c can't remember what the cpu hits I'll check tonight again they all seem normal enough but I might be wrong.

hmm.. 71 a bit high

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

71c is very high for a Desktop. My laptop gpu peaks at 71-72c when playing gpu intensive games but laptop gpu's are made to handle the heat.

Make sure that your gpu fan is running properly.

you arent using the stock x800 cooler are u??? if so stop right now and rip that cooler off and put at minimum an artic cooler on it. the stock x800 coolers are CRAP to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

terbo wrote:
    Hi.
    I had similar problems with my x800xt pe, it turnes out that the motherboard used intel chipset, if your does go to the intel site and download the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard, the windows installer is very handy.
    also make sure you have .net framework installed as this causes crashes to desktop if not installed.
    im no techie but i hope it helps

Intel don't make chipsets for AMD processors, unless it was some I/O logic slapped on the side.

Thanks to all for the advice seems itwas a software issue ati tray tools and the uguru that came in the bundle. Running ccc 5.8 driver and just uguru for overclocking and all seems well no more crashing to desktop or reboots.

Glad to hear you've got it fixed!

well at least it turned out to be software and not hardware, that would have been a pain in the ass

Jumped the gun with the card, RMA it now crashes constantly no matter what game, even FlightCombat Sim 03 wont load. Anyway waiting for RMA from Komplett

Simon

simonp1 wrote:
    Jumped the gun with the card, RMA it now crashes constantly no matter what game, even FlightCombat Sim 03 wont load. Anyway waiting for RMA from Komplett

Simon

sorry to hear that man, that suks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

power supply?

• Advertisement

Could be but according to Komplett when I bought the parts that power supply was ok

Advertisement