Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evanescence

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭curliq

me's a fan too. i got fallen when it just came out and anywhere but home as a birthday present. anyone know if they're gonna make a new new album?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Translation: Do you listen to anything good?

:)
    shhh,he is more tactful than that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You're a cheeky monkey, aren't you? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭curliq

me's a fan too. i got fallen when it just came out and anywhere but home as a birthday present. anyone know if they're gonna make a new new album? they rock socks and kick ass! *is a groupie*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

true true :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

You're a cheeky monkey, aren't you? ;)
    Just making sure everyone understood! :D

Just making sure everyone understood! :D

Yeah, but as Tar said, tact.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nirina

curliq wrote:
    me's a fan too. i got fallen when it just came out and anywhere but home as a birthday present. anyone know if they're gonna make a new new album? they rock socks and kick ass! *is a groupie*
    Lol, the new album is s'pozed to have all new material, but will hav unreleased songs on it, which is great!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

What is this tact that you speak of? According to Wikipedia.org:
    An example of tact would be relating to someone a potentially embarrassing detail of their appearance or demeanor without causing them distress.

Thats all well and good, but whats that got to do with a small pin?

yes, well..i was told that on the Evanescence Boards..so um..i can't wait!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 WweHardyV2

I'm a fan of Evanescence, Fallen is a great album musically with the piano the powerful guitar and Amy's amazing vocals .

But i agree with Karl Hungus they did take alot from Lacuna Coil who deserve the recognition aswell as Nightwish and Within Temptation. They've all been around longer!!!

My Immortal is such a powerful song that gets your mind thinking, the lyrics are very good. Does any1 no who wrote them?
    I think it was Ben Moody but he's gone to make rubbish music with Anastacia what a joke!!!

WweHardyV2 wrote:
    I'm a fan of Evanescence, Fallen is a great album musically with the piano the powerful guitar and Amy's amazing vocals .

But i agree with Karl Hungus they did take alot from Lacuna Coil who deserve the recognition aswell as Nightwish and Within Temptation. They've all been around longer!!!

My Immortal is such a powerful song that gets your mind thinking, the lyrics are very good. Does any1 no who wrote them?
    I think it was Ben Moody but he's gone to make rubbish music with Anastacia what a joke!!!
    Lol, glad to hav another fan on board! And i think Ben & Amy wrote that song, but i do like the song of him & Anastacia, just their voices don't match at all!!

But wat do u mean, that they took stuff from the 3 bands? also i noticed that Nightwish's "Once" cover has the exact same pic as Evanescence's "Evanescence EP" cover. and that was out before Once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

I can't really stand them that much at all, imo that they were just sort of a one hit wonder.

/awaits flaming by nirina

What I meant Nirina is that the three bands had the original gothic rock with the keyboards and the piano, but only Evanescence got the recognition!!

The vocals of Tarja(nightwish)and Sharon(WT) are not better than Amy in range but Cristina Scabia(lacuna coil) is a better singer.Nightwish, WT and Lacuna Coil started in 1996, whereas Evanescence started in 1999 with just Moody and Lee!

Also the bands don't choose the covers the record label and advertising choose it,but i dnt think tat thats important, it's all about the music!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Ahh, I think there fine

They aint no Morning Musume though. Thats for sure XD

WweHardyV2 wrote:
    What I meant Nirina is that the three bands had the original gothic rock with the keyboards and the piano

WRONG

Paradise Lost is the correct answer.

I can't really stand them that much at all, imo that they were just sort of a one hit wonder.

/awaits flaming by nirina
    *receives flaming* Yes, well thats not true!! They're no OHWs, i can name SOO many actual OHWs, but Ev sure ain't one of em. lol

@WweHardyV2: Aah, now i understand. Well its not really taking stuff is it then? i mean, maybe Ev didn't know they wer gna be more popular (well they prob are about the same populraity) than the three.But i understand what you mean, and i still respect Nightwish, WT & Lacuna Coil, for being the earlier goth rockers.

WRONG

Paradise Lost is the correct answer.

yes indeed , and boy were they awesome,
    I think also we could give credit to My Dying Bride

Ok Karl Hungus I'm wrong on that 1 but I'm not old enough to know a band that started in 1988!
    Thanx though i jst downloaded "Forever After" from Paradise Lost from ur link.It's quite good!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

WweHardyV2 wrote:
    Ok Karl Hungus I'm wrong on that 1 but I'm not old enough to know a band that started in 1988!
    Thanx though i jst downloaded "Forever After" from Paradise Lost from ur link.It's quite good!!!

huh 1988 is a pretty recent band imo, sure half of the bands i love were around before i was born.

• Advertisement

Nirina wrote:
    and i still respect Nightwish, WT & Lacuna Coil, for being the earlier goth rockers.

Well "Goth rock" started off in the late 70's, born out of the post-punk scene. Bands like Siousxie & The Banshees and Bauhaus are a good example of Goth Rock. But that's very different from what would be considered "Gothic Metal" which was pioneered by the likes of Paradise Lost who added a Baroque quality to their music with piano and female vocals on their album Gothic, and as Nadir points out, My Dying Bride who had Violin/Keyboard player Martin Powell back in the day. Astonishingly original stuff.

Of course, I think what they were doing back in the day has seen been watered down a LOT, taking us to the point of Evanescence which is watered down so much it's just pop with some guitars and a slightly mournfull edge. Now that's nothing against the band, they're quite alright altogether, it's just that they're certainly not "Goth" or for that matter barely Gothic at all. It's like comparing Avril Lavegne to The Damned as far as Punk goes.

Christ, I've just got a real hankerin' to whip out the old My Dying Bride albums. On goes "Turn Loose The Swans" then! Everyone should give a listen to the song "Sear Me MCMXCIII" for a real taste of something Gothic. Christ, it's so dark it's unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I don't like them. I don't like female vocals in metal as a rule, but Evanescence I really don't like. I just don't think they do anything new and they sound far too close to Linkin Park for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not a fan of Evanescence. Strange... because I'm a big Nightwish fan, and I also love Lacuna Coil. There's just something about Evanescence that gets on my nerves. A lot of the songs on Fallen are very bland too. I've fallen asleep listening to it before.

I don't think Ev sound anything like pop. Ok, maybe not gothic, but definately not pop!! And i know wer you're coming from with the violins/keyboards and female voices for metal music. But all in all, i still love Evanescence, and none of youz can change my mind! :D lol

Nirina wrote:
    I don't think Ev sound anything like pop. Ok, maybe not gothic, but definately not pop!!

Exactly as pop. It follows the exact same standard verse/chorus/verse/chorus/verse song structure as pop, so while you might not want to call it so, it's still following the rules of pop: The simple structure, the big catchy choruses. That's pop music.

WweHardyV2 wrote:

you should listen to icon, if you want to get into them, its pretty accessable
    but Shades of God is probably my fav. Totally awesome album.
    Nirina wrote:
    I don't think Ev sound anything like pop. Ok, maybe not gothic, but definately not pop!! And i know wer you're coming from with the violins/keyboards and female voices for metal music. But all in all, i still love Evanescence, and none of youz can change my mind! lol

They are pop, for sure, no question about it. They follow the same basic format,
    verse
    pre-chorus
    chorus
    verse
    pre-chorus
    chorus
    different bit
    verse
    pre-chorus
    chorus

and like all the variations inbetween, they are also, 'pop'ular XD,

definately pop.
    I mean, thats why Frank Zappa isn't pop for example.
    But Im not saying that's a bad thing. I love pop music its great XD, it's so happy, and like quick, its like an album for a week or two, and then onto the next thing.
    Granted though some of it is really good, and you can listen to it over and over again. XD
    I mean, even Paradise lost above have some stuff that takes this same format, tracks on icon in particular, it's still great, just not particurly original in the format. :) Music can still be great though.

Exactly as pop. It follows the exact same standard verse/chorus/verse/chorus/verse song structure as pop, so while you might not want to call it so, it's still following the rules of pop: The simple structure, the big catchy choruses. That's pop music.

lmao, looks like u bet me to , it , I cant believe it took me 15 mins to put that post together.

well then they're pop rock but i don't care wat genre they are. i still love their music!! :D

Nobody is asking you to stop liking them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

<stunned>

This thread is still going and on 90 posts !!!!

Advertisement