Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Cab For Cutie - Plans

Options
  • 18-08-2005 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭

'Death Cab For Cutie' were a pretty unknown band.. still are.. but achieved critical acclaim with their 2003 release, 'Transatlanticism' with critics calling it their best album to date. The lead singer, Ben Gibbard, also recieved a similar amount of praise that year with his excellent side-project, The Postal Service and their album 'Give Up'

The "Death Cab" follow-up album would always be difficult living up to the excellent 'Transatlanticism'

First things first: Ben Gibbard is a phenomenal songwriter. Simply getting a copy of some of the lyrics from both 'Plans' and 'Transatlanticism' will show you that.

Is 'Plans' as good as 'Transatlanticism'?! After repeated listens, i'd say quite possibly. Standout tracks include:

- I Will Follow You Into The Dark - an truly amazing song. My favourite on the album. Lyrics are particularly strong here:

Love of mine some day you will die
    But I'll be close behind
    I'll follow you into the dark

No blinding light or tunnels to gates of white
    Just our hands clasped so tight
    Waiting for the hint of a spark
    If heaven and hell decide
    That they both are satisfied
    Illuminate the no's on their vacancy signs

If there's no one beside you
    When your soul embarks
    Then I'll follow you into the dark

- Soul Meets Body - First single.. did not like it at all at first but a real grower.

- Summer Skin - haunting background music with again fantastic lyrics make this a possible next single!

- Crooked Teeth - a very catchy song with a infectious chorus!

- Brothers On A Hotel Bed - an excellent slow but very moving song. Ben Gibbard's lyrics again a strongpoint:

You may tire of me as our December sun is setting because I'm not who I used to be
    No longer easy on the eyes but these wrinkles masterfully disguise
    The youthful boy below who turned your way and saw
    Something he was not looking for both a beginning and an end
    But now he lives inside someone he does not recognize
    When he catches his reflection on accident

I do not think there are any poor songs on the album but Different Names For The Same Thing is quite forgettable (obviously written about touring around many places which all soon seem the same).

Anyways.. an excellent album which definantly lives up to their fantastic 2003 release, Transatlanticism.

Rating: **** / *****

PS - sorry about the poor quality of this review but still very tired so a lot of repeated words / limited vocabulary! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

i was pretty worried that they wouldn't make a good follow up to Transatlanticism. but it seems done a good job

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Seems like the Day & Night magazine in The Irish Independent today agree with my review.. they also gave it 4 / 5 stars glowing review.

Seriously people... get this album! Phenomenal - have barely stopped listening to it in the last 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

A good album. Not as good as Transatlanticism (which is class), but still very good nonetheless. If you like DCFC, I recommend you check out The Postal Service for whom Ben Gibbard provides the vocals.

ReefBreak wrote:
    ..If you like DCFC, I recommend you check out The Postal Service for whom Ben Gibbard provides the vocals.
    Yep.. 'Give Up' is a phenomenal album!

Not too sure on the status of a follow-up though. Apparently, Ben Gibbard and Jimmy Tamborello are working on it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mrwyoming

...I actually rather love this new album. This might defy everything indie-iconic, but I find it more accessible than their previous records. I did enjoy those, but this is just easier to love (whether that makes sense or not?).

For me it continues in the same vein as the track 'The Sound of Settling,' which should be the title-track to any mid-twenties kid capering about in the now-naughties.

Stand-outs in the new album (from the perspective of this boy) would be: What Sarah Said, Crooked Teeth and Soul Meets Body.

And there's my fidy-cents.

• Advertisement

Yeah.. i'm starting to get into this more than 'Transatlanticism'! Not one weak track on it really!

"I Will Follow You Into The Dark" is amazing!! "Crooked Teeth" will probably be a single.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Where Soul Meets Body is a fantastic song, I just stumbled upon it and now I'm hooked.

qz wrote:
    Where Soul Meets Body is a fantastic song, I just stumbled upon it and now I'm hooked.
    Believe me mate - get the album! It won't disappoint! I didn't even like 'Soul Meets Body' at first but goddamn, it grows on you!

Been trying to get a load of my mates to listen to Death Cab - no reports back yet from them!

PS - Oh and qz... acquire 'Translatlanticm' while you're at it! Phenomenal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

basquille wrote:

Been trying to get a load of my mates to listen to Death Cab - no reports back yet from them!

Being one of your mates (supposedly, you stopped returning my calls *sobs*), I listened to it and I thought it was okay. I really liked the first song but I thought it kind of went downhill from there. There are no terrible songs I can think of on it but there was no great songs either. It's not really the type of music I like (I'm more of a death metal/reggae fan as you know) and I've only listened to album once so I'm probably the best judge.

Advertisement