Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom 3Mb Business Broadband for Voip

• 18-08-2005 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I'm considering upgrading my Broadband package from

Eircom Home Plus (2Mb down, 128K Up)
    to
    Smart Telecom 3Mb Business Broadband (3Mb down 256 up)
    cost 70 Euro plus Vat per month inc. line rental.

Has anybody here any experience of using
    Smart Business Broadband, particurally for VOIP?

Regards,

Ken90

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

i haven't used smart but did u have problems with the eircom package?

surely 3mb is a huge overkill, i think u would be better off trying to get a package with more upload.
    i have 1mb up and down

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

Brav,
    What are you using?

It's for a few users and it must be reliable.

Eircom can be flakey if somebody else is downloading a lot.

I'm in Dublin, Ballsbridge, Beggers Bush Exchange BTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Have you tried NTL? I use the 3Mb/300Kb package with Blueface for VOIP and it works a treat. ON E45 per month too.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

I've checked, and I'm not within the NTL area,
    ie 400 metres around the Square in Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

ken90 wrote:
    I've checked, and I'm not within the NTL area,
    ie 400 metres around the Square in Tallaght.

NTL is available in Ballsbridge and Most of town and I am sure many other places. Have you checked recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

don't think you'll get NTL BB if your on the beggars bush exch. as I'm on the same exch. too, and can't get it either. if you're after a business package then BT are trying to bring out LLU packages in that area, but eircom are dragging their feet releasing the exchanges for them to upgrade to LLU.
    [align=right]13.16.137.11[/align]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Im using IBB (shock horror) and Blueface

Iknow a lot of people have had problems with IBB but i haven't had one yet, ive been with them for nearly a year now i think.

Maybe you should try to get a router with QOS.
    I'm usually not downloading when im on the phone, as i usually leave it for night time, except for the odd few small files.

If you use something like down2home to check the bandwidth used its very very little for voip. I even tried it with ripwave and it worked ok, but the only prob with ripwave was the reception went up and down but stayed at an average 40/50 kbps from servers like download.com and microsoft.com. Now my average is about 130kbps.

Advertisement