Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intellectually stimulating/progressive music.

• 18-08-2005 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sitting here listening to Atheist, a phenominal band that a certain DoctorJ introduced me to, and for those of you unfamiliar with the band, they emerged in the latter days of the Florida Death Metal scene merging their amazing technical Metal prowess with Jazz, before splitting up. They created something intelligent, challenging and altogether unique.

In the spirit of that, I thought I might start a thread about intelligent music. What do you find makes you think? What shakes up your noggin? Post about intelligent music, anything that's stimulating, challenging, barrier-breaking, or just outright unique. And don't restrict this to Rock/Metal either, personally, I'm quite the fan of The Mahavishnu Orchestra, a quite phenominal Jazz Fusion band.

Anyway, here's what Karl recommends everyone should own:

Cynic - Focus
    Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale

Click Here for my thread on Arcturus. I'm sure the good Doctor will be along any moment to tell everyone how amazing Cynic are aswell, and he's damn right! Focus is probably one of the most intellligent albums ever recorded.

Other bands of interest that I particularly love would be Opeth, Spiral Architect, Aghora, Enslaved, Porcupine Tree, Emperor, Sigh, Isis, Novembre, Pestilence, Cephalic Carnage, Coprofago, to name but a few!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Apart from the aforementioned I'd say Ohm are well worth checking out. Instrumental Jazz Fusion with a fairly strong foundation in Rock and all unbelievably skilled musicians. Dream Theater deserve a mention too. I'd also say Rust In Peace by Megadeth merits attention, it seldom gets the recognition it deserves as an outstanding technical display.

Rush deserve mention for being at it for so long to such a high standard.

But yes, Cynic are just the absolute greatest, IMO. The bend evolved at such an astounding rate from a fairly generic thrash/death outfit to creating one of the most inspiring albums I've ever heard and, on the way, contributed to incredible releases from the like of Death and Athiest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i would go with isis and tool as being two bands off the top of my head that have made me think.their album and song ideas and backgrounds are interesting eg panopticon for isis and 46 and 2 for tool.just makes you think,ya know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Apart from the titans you guys mentioned, i have to say Emperor again. What Ihsahn created when he was at an age younger than me is just beyond words. His musical vision is just scary and very few musicians command my respect in a way that he does. I think he's different, he stands out in a way. I don't know how to put it properly, but his perseverance in pushing his vision and creating it is just amazing. He's a true inspiration and i really admire him and his work.

Also, check out Terje Rypdal (on the excellent ECM Records). He's a Norwegian guitarist who, afaik, is the first to have conducted an orchestra using a strat. Now if that ain't something..... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

My old favourites Einstuerzende Neubauten are definitely one for making you think. Seeing them live is amazing, all these weird sounds which assume must be samples are played live in front of you. They make use of scrap metal, power tools, jet engines, air compressors, pipes, regular instruments and other odds and ends. Best thing is it's not all just a horrible racket. They play some quite complex (but not mind bendingly so) and beautiful songs.

www.neubauten.org

Another artist that really bakes my noodle is The Hafler Trio. He makes use of lots of weird psychoacoustic phenomena. One CD I have makes you feel drunk and dizzy when you listen to it. Another is meant to be played at maximum volume and most of the bass is so low that when things rattle in your room they form a beat to the music. All of that album was made using a recording of the singer of Sigur Rós's voice. Absolutely amazing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Can't believe I forgot to mention Watchtower, who truly pioneered the more technical side of Metal. Guitarist Ron Jarzombeck's side project Spastic Ink also push the boundaries in ways mere mortals would find impossible.`

Tell me more about Porcupine Tree... it involves the guy who used to produce Opeth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Anglagard- progressive music, very layered with complex arrangements
    Pavor- just plain demolish all. Plus, they have one unbelievable bass player. Both albums are fantastic, "A Pale Debiliatating Autumn" and "Furioso." Technical death metal which surpasses most.
    King Crimson- like I need to say anything about these guys.
    Ron Jarzombek- His two solo projects are truly unique, "PHHHP!" and "Solitrily Speaking of Theoretical Confinement." Superb musician, can't wait for his project with Alex Webster and Chris Adler involving that Circle of Twelve Notes he's using.
    Bone- dissonant progressive US band. Just plain odd, album is entitled "Uses Wrist Grab."
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum- must be heard.
    And if none of you have Pat Metheny yet you'll be crushed horribly from above somehow. And for God's sake get LYKATHEA AFLAME "Elvenefris".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

a friend of mine sent me a song called The General by a band called Dispatch, i'd never heard of the band before so i gave it a listen and i just think that the song is very well written and i dunno what but it just made me think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Here's some albums I find "Intellectually stimulating".

Orthrlem - Asristir Vieldriox (This has to be heard to believed...The guitarist sounds like a cross between Steve Vai and Greg Ginn)

Ornette Coleman - Dancing in Your Head (One of Coleman's most experimental and interesting records)

Sun Ra - Unity (Possibly Sun Ra's best live album)

Foetus - Nail (...)

Ulver - Bergtatt (Hm)

Big Black - Atomizer (Yeah)

Also: Arcturus do indeed kick scrotum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yeah, there's definetly a lot I've not mentioned. King Crimson, Ulver, Dream Theater, Pat Metheny, Rush, and Ancient1 is right, must mention Emperor again. :D
    There's definetly a lot I need to check out myself aswell.

Speaking of Ulver though, "Themes From William Blake's The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell" is one ****ing unreal album!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Well, John Cage has some of what you might call "challenging" music, if you're into that sort of thing. Personally I think it's pretentious excrement, but, there you go; no accounting for taste. The Dresden Dolls are just a little bit "out there", and they ain't bad.
    Isis really are awful, IMO.

• Advertisement

Speaking of Ulver though, "Themes From William Blake's The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell" is one ****ing unreal album!

Yes indeedy. I think my favourite Ulver has to be 'Nattens Madrigal' though.

Could you describe what John Cage is like at all tommy?

Heh, I'll try... his compositions tend to defy alll categorisation and description though! 'Sublime mechanical asceticism' is one applicable description, or so I've heard. Mostly, though, his music is just silent....very silent. Have you heard the song "seven haiku"? Or are you familiar with his composition "4:33" ? It's four minutes and thirty-three seconds of silence. It certainly 'challenged' me, that's for sure, lol.

Silence, eh? Yeah, I see what you mean about pretentiousness so. I'd prefer to listen to something with a little more substance.

Well, granted I've only heard 5 or 6 of his pieces, I've been told he does have some more conventional music, I just havent heard it yet. I'm no authority on John Cage, really.

Mostly, though, his music is just silent....very silent. .

... Listen to some of his other music before making statements like this, please. John Cage was one of the 20th century's most important composers and a pinoeer of electronic and avant-garde music in general. Don't judge him on the strength of 4'33"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 006

devil doll
    limbonic art
    Ephual duath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Silence, eh? Yeah, I see what you mean about pretentiousness so. I'd prefer to listen to something with a little more substance.

I'd prefer to listen to something. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

definatly opeth.. they actually make me think... i cant think or devote my atention to a single other thing when im listening to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

John Cage was also one of the first people to experiment with using turntables as an instrument, and this was back in the 30s.

Sunn O))) are interesting as well.
    Pretty much everyone who has played/plays with Einstürzende Neubauten has some really interesting solo stuff. I'd recommend NU Unruh's solo stuff, and the new Alexander Hacke cd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Who are all these bands? God I know I'm old when Rush and King Crimson are the most familair names!

I nominate Blue Oyster Cult and The Who both driving rock bands with lyrics which hardly ever mention love except in an "s&m" way for the BOC! Whatever became of Kings X? Anyone remember them?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 WweHardyV2

Althougth their not as heavy as Opeth or Atheist,System of a Down are really stimulating sometimes. Their lyrics get u thinking about politics,war and death and what happens after u die!!I recommend all their albums
    System of a Down***
    Toxicity*****
    Steal this Album**
    Mezmerise****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Tool get me thinking as do Liquid Tension Experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

Miles Davis
    Captain Beefheart(makes me go HUH?? :D )
    Frank Zappa
    Edgard Varese
    Claude Debussy
    Most prog bands(Rush, Yes, Genesis, Van Der Graaf Generator, Pink Floyd, Soft Machine etc.)
    Steve Hackett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Check out this lad, he's a really great guitarist (international busker tbh), his music really makes me think and he has the two handed tapping skill down to a tee.

Here's some mp3's for ye http://home.hetnet.nl/~ksund/mp3s.html
    (legal mp3's btw :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

his playing reminds me of Pierre Bensusan( anyone who has not heard him should check him out too!!!!)

Beautiful stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Ahh I forgot to mention his name, his name is Carlos Vamos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

I don't think these have been mentioned

Jason Becker
    Cacophony
    Steve Vai
    Symphony X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

John Cage was also one of the first people to experiment with using turntables as an instrument, and this was back in the 30s.

Actually it was the fifties but he was still the first person to scratch on record on the piece "Rozart Mix". I personally think 4'33" is a masterpiece. It's NOT a silent piece. The whole point of it is that people pay attention to the sound around them. Cage was big on opening music up to "non-musical" sounds. He was more important to modern music in all its forms than most people you can mention. There's an excellent book called "Conversing with Cage" that I heartily recommend.
    Pretty much everyone who has played/plays with Einstürzende Neubauten has some really interesting solo stuff.

My solo stuff isn't that great. ;)

I'd recommend NU Unruh's solo stuff, and the new Alexander Hacke cd.

The Unruh album is excellent. Very very strange though. He's got some new stuff coming out sometime in the near future. Four performances on dvd based on the four elements. I've only heard the Air performance but it was really impressive.

Alex's album is a totally different kettle of fish. Much more accessible than Neubauten or any of the other member's side projects. Herr Hacke says he's planning a tour soon with a rotating line up that will change with each date, sounds interesting. Even if he did a DJ tour I'd be happy, I saw him in Berlin last year and it was one of the maddest sets I've ever heard. A friend of mine saw him last week doing a DJ set with Jim Thirlwell (Foetus) and raved about it. And raved during it I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Man, how could I have forgotten to mention Steve Vai. If you're into theory or complexity some of his stuff is seriously intense.

The only thing I don't like about Cage is that The Wire tend to worship him a bit which puts me off some artists.

John, has Jochen Arbeit got any solo stuff out? I've never heard of any and I've always wondered how he got drafted into the band.

Advertisement