Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intellectually stimulating/progressive music.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

John2 wrote:
    I'm starting to get interested in medival music at the moment. So much so I was pricing hurdy-gurdies (£2000 for a beginners one!)

Sounds hot. Any recommendations? Is there a lot of harpsichord in medieval music? I f**king love the harpsichord. :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Harpsichord exists in medieval music but I have to admit I can't stand it. At the moment I'm just exploring, haven't bought anything yet. I like the drone aspect to a lot of medieval music, the religious music is all about working yourself into a trance. Basically I've been listening to a lot of Coil and Current 93 over the last year or two and they take a medieval influence on some of their works. I'm looking into finding stuff on Gregorian chants, music for hurdy-gurdies, hammered dulcimer and wind instruments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Good good. Waitasec...you don't like harpsichord so that means you...don't like 'Golden Brown'? ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Actually we can mention music from any age and style because intelligent music doesn't die with time! Don't you agree?

The fugue form is wonderful. Such a difficult thing to write.

Also, I love the harpsichord, even if it isn't a versatile instrument, but it has a great sound.

Good good. Waitasec...you don't like harpsichord so that means you...don't like 'Golden Brown'? ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH

I cannot stand Golden Brown.
    Undergod wrote:
    Also, I love the harpsichord, even if it isn't a versatile instrument, but it has a great sound.

There's just something about it that makes me cringe. Can't explain it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

I can't find a reference in this thread, so I'm going to evangelise here for Matthew Herbert's "Plat du Jour", which I am listening to while wandering through a backlog of emails. Got this album ages ago, but have been listening to it a lot this week for some strange reason.

xeduCat wrote:
    I can't find a reference in this thread, so I'm going to evangelise here for Matthew Herbert's "Plat du Jour", which I am listening to while wandering through a backlog of emails. Got this album ages ago, but have been listening to it a lot this week for some strange reason.

Yes! This is a fantastic album. One of the most original and interesting records I've heard in years really. For those too lazy to click on the link, the entire album is made from food and related products. No instruments, just a load of eggs, coffee, water, apples and sugar among other things. I gave it a favourable review here a couple of months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

John2 wrote:
    And speaking of Mastodon, they're on a new Melvins tribute album along with Dillinger Escape Plan, Isis and a load of other bands that I forget now. I have to check it out.

:eek:

more info please!!

herobear wrote:
    :eek:

more info please!!

Here's a link. I got and it's not very good. Even the bands I like disappointed me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

awww :(

i suppose nobody can top the originals....have you got fantomas' and melvins live cd ?(big bad monsterwork, i think its called) its bloody great!

• Advertisement

herobear wrote:
    have you got fantomas' and melvins live cd ?(big bad monsterwork, i think its called) its bloody great!

Yeah, it's deadly all right!

Advertisement