Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ebay.ie vs. buyandsell.net

• 18-08-2005 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Ebay have been trying to muscle their way into the second hand goods market in Ireland for quite a few months now. I don't think they'll overcome the established market that is the buyandsell magazine. They've just upgraded their website (finally) and it is much easier to use. In particular, buyandsell's car market is the defacto standard for finding a cheap second hand car in Ireland.
    Will ebay ever overcome buyandsell.net?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ebay has pictures, and seller ratings, which are important if your sending money for the item.

buy&sell is good if you don't have the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

I can't buy a dog on eBay but i can buy a dog on Buy&Sell. Same goes for fridges or cookers. There's some things that Buy&Sell will always beat eBay at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

For me, it's eBay or boards.ie, only exception would be large things that you would usually buy locally, like bicycles - for that Buy & Sell might be the place to go. I don't see a long-term future for Buy & Sell TBH, as more people get on the net. At least they finally fixed the price thing, I can't believe that took them so long. Made their site worse than useless, I even resorted to writing a program to screen-scrape their site and resort by price last time I was looking for a bike.

For cars, there are car sites that make it far easier to zero in on what you want, but granted they aren't free and so won't have so many very cheap ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

for electronics ebay is generally better.

but for bulky things like fridges, tv's, cookers etc. buyandsell would be more economical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

ebay.ie hasn't 1/4 the amount of users that the buy and sell has!, for me ebay.co.uk is the best tool for getting cheap goods(and boards.ie).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I used to get Buy and sell every week - stopped when they brought 2 copies a week, cos I thought they should have had one mag with motors and one with general stuff per week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Buy and sell has an established market. Buy and sell is great for buying cheap cars, farming implements, and other large appliances.
    For example, if you were looking for a good value second hand washing machine, you might use the B&S. Shipping costs on cheap, large items make buying these on ebay/etc impractical and bad value.

Whilst, I can agree with some of what has been said; Ebay.ie/etc will take a lot of the buy and sell's market share, and is allready doingg so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 *Pexus1976*

I'm afraid Ebay will win hands down and probably send buyandsell out of business...................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

eBay for so many reasons such as buyer ratings the fact that you can see the item and the they give a huge detiled desciption. I dunno though buying in Irleand always gives me comfort knowing your only max 8hrs away from me devil-smiley-041.gif

Still has to be eBay for the shear amount and better selection; as said buy&sell is good for some stuff (ie) cars and the like but still prefer eBay.

Nukem

Advertisement