Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The For Sale forum and thread spoiling.

Options
  • 18-08-2005 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

You cannot sell anything these days without people dumping their useless opinions ranging from 'you can get that for 12 euro on komplett' to 'that's a sh!t deal'
    You end up with a messy thread where it's impossible to see any bids from genuine buyers.

I understand that there is a nice brotherhood on boards to prevent people for getting ripped off but it's getting very frustrating.
    The charter rules say no thread spoiling you must be bidding on the item to post but this rule is only sparsely enforced.

I post all info about the product location guide price etc......Am I selling wrong?
    Or have other people recognised this problem.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I actually agree. Before there was a real sense of community spirit in that people made genuine posts to threads on the for sale board if there was a genuine grievance with a products price simply to watch out for people that may not notice a discrepancy.

However with the last few months it seems like a huge competition on the For Sale board to see who can be the first person to make a post with why the product is worthless or unsaleable or better can be gotten elsewhere.

It is visibly difficult for people to sell items now on the board without getting unfounded and disagreeable posts.

.logic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I agree 100%. I'm not a big seller but any time I have tried to sell something I invariably end up in a flame war with one of these muppets, who don't seem to understand the concepts of shipping, VAT, currency conversion, etc.

adam

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Here here , I agreee . Every Tom , Dick and Harry spoils threads now ..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Alternatively, check out this thread :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'll look into this when I get home from Hols (leaving tonight so packing right now... well I should be packing, obviously I'm like, <i>not</i>. Ok you get what I mean...)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I have been consistantly reporting spoiler posts in FSCH for a while now.

After that appeared to have no effect I made a thread in the mod forum about the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

CuLT wrote:
    I have been consistantly reporting spoiler posts in FSCH for a while now.

After that appeared to have no effect I made a thread in the mod forum about the same.
    There's a fair few examples in that thread. This thing is getting well out of hand...

Tbh though I'd like to think there are people out there who will watch your back in case you're being ripped off...

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

There is a difference between "ripping off" and just being petty though.

Like people just posting links to items that can be bought slightly cheaper elsewhere. Doing your own reseach on product pricing is a no-brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Yeh but, for example this thread, there's someone looking for far more than what the computer is worth.

To be fair, yes anyone who would buy it at that price would have to be a complete moron and the price is far far too high but it still helps for people to tell him it's worth much less...

That thread did become a bit of a bitch fest though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Trojan wrote:
    Alternatively, check out this thread :)

Well played to the dude for spotting the scammer ... who says thread spoiling isnt a good thing :p

To the complainers / campaigners in this thread, what are you all afraid of? If something the very same as what you are trying to sell is being sold comercially for less than what you are trying to sell for (including p&p and VAT and will be delivered to Ireland) then you should of course be pulled up on it ... if you are selling something under false pretenses you should be pulled up on it...

The sellers point is most likely that what is being compared is NOT the same and/or does not include p&p and VAT and/or is on sale in Korea or somewhere and wont be shipped to Ireland... Thats all well and good for a Sony XYZ that is on sale all over the place. But sometimes the problems are where someone sells something generic like a usb hub or keyboard ... If you think that someone is thread spoiling because they can point to a 6 port usb2 hub for less than you want to sell your three port usb1 hub then you should take it to ebay and stop whinging.

If someone points to something that is much different to whats on sale and/or is ultimately more expensive then they should get a ban - permanent - a few of those and the number of muppet thread spoiling posts will decrease ..... but under no circumstances should there be a blanket ban ... some people just dont know a very bad deal when they see it, and we as a virtual community should help them (a bit)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

BigEejit

Let the buyer beware - people, generally, are not morons.
    If they do not do their own research before buying then they are.
    If they are buying on boards.ie then they are capable of using google.

You don't have a crowd of people standing behind you at the counter in power city saying you can get that cheaper down the road mate. - that would be considered ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

How about my posts in this thread?

I am genuinely interested in buying the MP3 player and just trying to get the best price.

Is that considered thread spoiling?

egan007 wrote:
    BigEejit

Let the buyer beware - people, generally, are not morons.
    If they do not do their own research before buying then they are.
    If they are buying on boards.ie then they are capable of using google.
    Ah, the nub of the problem - are people morons or not ... depends on the situation, if someone was led to believe that stuff on a particular forum or from a particular person was good value they may make a compulsive offer on something ... researching a price of something on the internet is futile most of the time, at any one time I can almost guarantee you can find a 100% or more differential in price...
    These days "Let the buyer beware" = let me sell make a nice profit on this stuff .. when i see that quoted anywhere I think someone is looking to rip someone else off
    You don't have a crowd of people standing behind you at the counter in power city saying you can get that cheaper down the road mate. - that would be considered ridiculous
    If i saw someone in an aisle (which is the equivalent of someone looking at a post i think) looking at something that was at an inflated price then I would tell them this and where to get it cheaper

cormie wrote:
    How about my posts in this thread?
    I am genuinely interested in buying the MP3 player and just trying to get the best price.
    Is that considered thread spoiling?
    Nope you are spot on, this is NOT an auction site - so haggling is the order of the day

There's a difference between pointing out vast overpricing and pointing out minor price differences which don't take into account VAT, shipping, currency conversions, etc. One is a service to the community, one is thead spoiling. The difference is crystal clear to me.

adam

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's funny how on some forums people refuse to use google, or the boards search, to look for something before starting some silly thread. Yet on the FS forums people go out of their way to scour the whole internet looking for someone selling something a few cents cheaper :confused:

(i'm not aiming that at anyone in particular, it just seems to be the general way of things)

stevenmu wrote:
    It's funny how on some forums people refuse to use google, or the boards search, to look for something before starting some silly thread. Yet on the FS forums people go out of their way to scour the whole internet looking for someone selling something a few cents cheaper :confused:

(i'm not aiming that at anyone in particular, it just seems to be the general way of things)

True - that's where heavy moderator presence and banning the obvious cases would cut down on it.

BigEejit wrote:
    Nope you are spot on, this is NOT an auction site - so haggling is the order of the day

But wasn't I essentially taking part in an auction or creating one?

BigEejit wrote:
    they may make a compulsive offer on something ...
    Well thats a personal problem
    BigEejit wrote:
    researching a price of something on the internet is futile most of the time, at any one time I can almost guarantee you can find a 100% or more differential in price...

I don't know where you get this out of!!
    This really shows that you are argueing for the sake of it. - Researching a price on the internet is far from futile and probably the first thing everyone does now before buying anything.

And i would really like see you find me 100% price differences

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

As far as I see it. It isn't buy and sell where you can rip someone off who doesn't know better. Of course pettiness is another matter.

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote:
    As far as I see it. It isn't buy and sell where you can rip someone off who doesn't know better. Of course pettiness is another matter.

To get this thread back on track
    Nobody is saying it's bad to point out a rogue trader
    In fact i like that about boards - as i said in the original post...
    What we are trying to do is get morons banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Ya it appears that almost all FS threads are getting spolit these days. It's impossible to sell anything here anymore without smart comments, flame wars etc. with complete muppets....

dahamsta wrote:
    There's a difference between pointing out vast overpricing and pointing out minor price differences which don't take into account VAT, shipping, currency conversions, etc. One is a service to the community, one is thead spoiling. The difference is crystal clear to me.

adam
    I agree 100% ... I was not arguing for a situation where people are saying you can get that item for 1% cheaper elsewhere ... its just protecting people from price gougers (€280 for a crap laptop - Grandad may think that would be a great price for a nice laptop for his grandson - he may not know a celeron from celery)

As for 100% price differences ....ahem.. I may have got a bit carried away ;) ... but you will definitely see 50% price differences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I just had to comment on something today, I couldnt help myslef. Some selling UT2 for Xbox for 40 euro second hand, when its 20 new.

I know in fairness its up to the buyer, but I HATE seeing things that potentitally might lead to someone being ripped off.

Fair enough as it turned out the guy had no idea that it was so cheap new and adjusted his price, but alot of the time people are out to make an insanely obvious fast buck riding on the back of those thats arent so knowledgable.

The FS computer forum is bad one for potential rip offs....other threads not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

stevenmu wrote:
    Now there's an observation worth a clap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

can a mod or anyone please inform me if i was in this situation thread spoilling for future reference.

I was interested in buying a phone and put in an offer, reinforcing it saying that it was more than the same phone was sold for a week ago on boards.

Yes, this is what I'm not too sure of either, if you are genuinely interested in the item, where do you draw the line as to what resources you use to get the best price on it?

I think it's fair if the person posts an actual potential price of the product, including the stuff I mentioned above. That's fair feedback imho, which will serve potential buyers and show up genuine scams or mistakes. Of course that would mean they'd have to take the relevant item to the shopping cart, so taxes and shipping could be calculated, and they'd have to convert the currency if it's not in Euros.

But if that's the rule, those Google muppets will all-but disappear. All that'll be left are people that actually know the price, because they bought the product themselves for example, and they won't need to do all that work anyway. All you need then is a few bannings, because I reckon these spoilers are just a small bunch with bugger all to do with their time anyway.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

I just had to comment on something today, I couldnt help myslef. Some selling UT2 for Xbox for 40 euro second hand, when its 20 new.

I know in fairness its up to the buyer, but I HATE seeing things that potentitally might lead to someone being ripped off.

Fair enough as it turned out the guy had no idea that it was so cheap new and adjusted his price, but alot of the time people are out to make an insanely obvious fast buck riding on the back of those thats arent so knowledgable.

The FS computer forum is bad one for potential rip offs....other threads not so much.

Same typical scenario half the time In the Fs Forums but rather than "I didnt know the current price to say x"He/she well knew and tries to chance his arm.
    But you are right there is many Users who just dont know what the current price is since you probaly can get it on the net cheaper etc..
    Like look in the Fs Mobiles section,Im in there alot and the 1000€ Meteor sim is just mad.

• Advertisement

Barrie wrote:
    many Users who just dont know what the current price is since you probaly can get it on the net cheaper etc...
    www.google.ie
    Barrie wrote:
    Like look in the Fs Mobiles section,Im in there alot and the 1000€ Meteor sim is just mad.

If someone needs to be told that a sim card is not woth €1000 then they deserve to get stung!

Advertisement