Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clinton Morrison signs for Norwich

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Just seen this as a rumour on Sportinglife....wouldnt think it has gone through that quick....Sunderland and Southampton where confirmed to have bid for him this morning but nothing from Norwich!! good move anyway for him! Will be playing up front with Ashton!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Would've liked to see him go for Sunderland myself tbh; Premiership football combined with Elliot would have had good results for the Irish team (hopefully!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well it would've been nice to see him stay in the Premiership, but maybe it would be better to see him score more and have higher confidence in the Championship than be in a relegation battle in the Premiership. (And I apologize to any Sunderland fans for making that assumption!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I have to admit, im a little dissappointed he's dropped down a division. Just when Ireland got to the stage where all their players were playing in the top flight, we get Clinton & Harte droppin down.

Is Morrison DEFINATELY gonna be in the top 2 choice of strikers? If hes a regular starter at least thats something, but to be honest I would have preferred Sunderland out of the 3 teams mentioned, simply coz he'll be playing at a premiership standard against premiership defences.

Although, only time will tell. Norwich could get promoted and Sunderland relegated next season so he'll be up anyway, even if it is too late for the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Mick McCartney said earlier today Sunderland have no interest in signing him as they have enough strikers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Bit disappointed as well was hoping he would go to a premiership team, though he does need to be playing regularly, I reckon he will bang them in at Norwich. Here's hoping Elliot will start to get a run at Sunderland he looked very sharp last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

It would be much better to see him playing Premiership football than Championship football, and I'd say there's a chance he'll lose his place now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Wherever he goes its important that he plays 30-odd matches a year and is banging in the goals, 20 or so. It doesnt matter whether that is the top-flight in england or the level below that, or indeed somewhere else in Europe. Why Irish players dont consider other leagues is beyond me. There are other good leagues about. Ideally for him, it would be a premiership team, but the priority is regular games. That will help his career in the long-term too.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Well I'd rather see him playing first team at Norwich than warming the bench at Birmingham.

Well tbh I'd rather see him playing for England and I'll leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

not the best of moves but at least he will get plenty of football and scoring goals should boost his confidence. After a year of that maybe he will move back up to the priemership. Eliott moving up and clinton moving down.. its all swings and roundabouts.

Still its better clinton is getting football at a lower level than no football at a higher level. A good enough move i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Hope he goes somewhere where he will be first choice. Not in some rotation squad. Norwich would be a good choice, but personally id prefer to see him at Sunderland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Him moving to Sunderland would only make it harder for Elliott to break into the team. It would also put poor Daryl Murphy way down the pecking order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

A good move I think.
    If he has a stormer at Norwich (and keeps up his international game), he's bound to move up, either with Norwich or to Premiership level.
    His workrate and dedication is excellent, and fair play to Kerr to keep giving him his chance.
    I know a lot of people like to slag him, but his international record is pretty impressive. Lets hope he bags a hat-trick against the French to quiet the nay-sayers :D

I think he will be very strong against the french.. the way we played in stade de france really suited Clint, pity he got injured that night. His fitness, confidence and match sharpness will be a lot better compared to what were used to. Its been a very long time since Clinton has got regular games.

I just hope he got a contract where he can move to a better club in a years time if his form really improves and Norwich dont get promoted..

Im not sure if Sunderland would have been a good move, I think they are in a relegation battle right from the word go. Clinton might as well be in a club that is going to be near the top of the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

@Jubbly: Norwich wouldn't sign anyone and then allow them to leave a year later if their form improves. We're currently building a squad of players who will gel as a team and work together and if it takes a season or 2 so be it. Worthy will make sure that he will not leave on the cheap if he hits form.

Now for my overall opinion: It's a bit touch and go as I don't like him as a person and as a player he seems to need about 5 chances to score 1. And also his shoulder injuries seem to plague him a bit. However, I would rather see Ashton and McKenzie up front and have used the £2million to bring Bentley and have him here permanently but he's still at the training ground training on his own while still contracted to Arsenal.

That said, Worthington knows what he's doing and having the attackers lining up as Huckerby, Ashton, McKenzie, Morrison and Marney would frighten any Championship defense. I suppose when I see a couple of games if he signs my opinion might change but I think its rather interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Southampton would have been in with a shout for him if we weren't so scabby. Honestly, we've received £10m~ this summer and spent a grand total of...

£90k.

Rupert Lowe, its time to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Since Morrison "wears expensive diamonds" and "has to live", maybe he won't agree personal terms and will go back to the Birmingham bench. :rolleyes:

Norwich are trying not to sell one of their other strikers by asking £10 million for him. I forget the strikers name but Wigan are trying to buy him. Maybe you are right MrJoe and Norwich are serious about getting back into the English Priemer League

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

eirebhoy wrote:
    Since Morrison "wears expensive diamonds" and "has to live", maybe he won't agree personal terms and will go back to the Birmingham bench. :rolleyes:

Dont see this as a problem....his mum will prob be doing the neg in regards to his contract so he will prob get watever he wants....she is a hard woman! haha

Anyway I think he has figured out he needs first team footie to play in Irish team!!

This is Clints first crack at first team football since he left Crystal Palace ? is that right ? my god , he has been out for a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Jubbly that striker you apparently dont know who he is, is called Dean Ashton and is one hell of a striker. He's still only 21 and got a fantastic future ahead of them. Also if Norwich aren't serious about getting back to the Prem why bother playing in the Championship then

Advertisement