Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown Thomas Cork v. Debenhams Mahon Point

Options
  • 18-08-2005 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I hear Brown Thomas are going to close their cosmetics department because Debenhams is taking all their business because nearly every product of theirs is dearer in BT's. Serves them right for trying to rip us off. Glad Debenhams in Mahon Point is not closing down. Its so easy to shop and opens until 9pm weekdays.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

BT customers have always payed a premium and knew it too. Didn't know that Debenhams did the same products as BT though. Must make a stop there after work and get some Clinique shaving creme then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Admit it Damien, you're going for the apricot facial scrub.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

lindawards wrote:
    Its so easy to shop and opens until 9pm weekdays.

Only if you have a car or can be arsed to share the no 10 bus out to Mahon.

Can't imagine that BT is facing that much competition from Debenhams tbh, the BT customer is probably very loyal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

lindawards wrote:
    I hear Brown Thomas are going to close their cosmetics department because Debenhams is taking all their business because nearly every product of theirs is dearer in BT's. Serves them right for trying to rip us off. Glad Debenhams in Mahon Point is not closing down. Its so easy to shop and opens until 9pm weekdays.

I doubt it. BT isn't all that bad imo. Sure, the make-up is a bit pricey, but if you want cheap stuff, go to Boots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is Lindawards PR for Debenhams or something? Seems to really like that shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

gimmick wrote:
    Is Lindawards PR for Debenhams or something? Seems to really like that shop.

Was just wondering that myself. Like Simu said, if you're prepared to spend that kind of money on make-up, you will. Otherwise you head to Boots, or the like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 irishreturner

I think you will find cosmetic prices are the same in every shop in every country may be its price fixing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

I think you will find cosmetic prices are the same in every shop in every country may be its price fixing:)
    I don't know about that. I was with a friend a few years ago who is a huge BT fan and one day we went in to buy some Elizabeth Arden foundation whose counter used to exist in BT. It cost mid twenties range. Went into what was Roches afterwards and the exact same foundation compact was there for I think €18 or so.

I do agree that BT customers would be pretty loyal and I don't think this would affect their cosmetics department in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Alot has to do with the upgrading of the store in Patrick's St especially in the cosmetics section, but as already stated BT's would have an incredibly loyal customer base and they also have a MAC counter which Debenhams dont have.

They're competing against GQ and Best for alot of brand like Hilfiger who might sell cheaper doesnt mean they're closing the Mens department!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

razorblunt wrote: »
    Alot has to do with the upgrading of the store in Patrick's St especially in the cosmetics section, but as already stated BT's would have an incredibly loyal customer base and they also have a MAC counter which Debenhams dont have.

!

Apart from Lancome/Clinique/Clarins BT's and Debenhams have different products.

BT's have MAC, Laura Mercier, Bobbi Brown, Jo Malone, Bliss, Creme de la mer, Aveda so I really doubt they'd be closing the make up department.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

The girls in the make-up section in BT are better looking in my opinion too.

Fabio wrote: »
    The girls in the make-up section in BT are better looking in my opinion too.

Yep I'd agree with that. Keep the hotties in their jobs please ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

razorblunt wrote: »
    Yep I'd agree with that. Keep the hotties in their jobs please ;)

My god they're the most awful looking tramps in the world. Caked in the ****, orange every one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Kold wrote: »
    My god they're the most awful looking tramps in the world. Caked in the ****, orange every one of them.

yep, some look like they've come straight out of the Wonka Factory but some are rather pleasing on the eye I must admit. The funniest however is catching them giving each other sneaky bitchy looks..it's hilarious to see, I'd say the amount of back stabbing going on in there is unbelievable.

Don't be stupid there's some fantastic looking girl in there, some are nice some aren't but don't tar them all with the same makeup brush ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

i remember seeing a stunner in a diff designer frock every weekend while i worked in reardens, always out with a minging nerd monster.... i was convinced she was a high class hoe (and fair play to her!) but i was in BT one day (for the atm of course!) and there she was with a name badge...... not a hoor at all.... i was quite disappointed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

her day job maybe? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

castie wrote: »
    her day job maybe? :)

oh i dunno.... i mean where would she get the energy to lie on her back all night after breaking your hole selling perfume and make up all day in BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jdhayes93

i doubt bt will close its cosmetic range cause i think brown thomas is still better than debenhams although it's only cause of the fact of your status shopping there lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

jdhayes93 wrote: »
    i doubt bt will close its cosmetic range cause i think brown thomas is still better than debenhams although it's only cause of the fact of your status shopping there lol

Status my hole, their both crap shops, roches stores was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Anyone who figures they're upper class for shopping in the most expensive of about 4 department stores in Cork should be shot. Yuppies in Cork amuse me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

craichoe wrote: »

+1 I miss the huge selection of hair dye! And the old lady coats you could buy upstairs that'd look dodgy but would keep you toasty and dry for the whole winter for 50 quid, none of this designer nonsense :P

*minutes silence for roches*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

craichoe wrote: »

i loved roches they had everything at reasonable prices. i always loved there sales and gorcery place. im talking more so about wilton though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Debenhams in Mahon Point is much better and cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

I buy on-line. ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jdhayes93

i dont think roches was that great, marks and spencers has replaced the food and debenhams has replaced its clothes and there both of better quality.

Advertisement