Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds/Private schools - your opinion

Options
  • 18-08-2005 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

OK my personal opinion is that if I or my parents could have afforded it I would happily have gone to a grinds school last year.

I didn't go to school at all for the last year and that badly hurt my results, my parents did offer to send me to a grinds school when we moved back closer to Dublin but I didn't want them spending that much money on me.

Are grinds/private schools a good idea, do you get a better standard of education than from public schools?

How many people on these forums go or have gone to private/grinds schools and what are your experiences of it.

If you went to a grinds/private school was it of benefit to you 36 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 36 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

From my experience of people who went there. They were ungrateful for the thousands of euro their parents spent on them and simply wasted the year, granted thats just the odd few people.
    IMO its such a cop-out going to a grinds school, such an unfair advantage over everyone else. Its so true. The inequality and injustice of our educatonal system is shocking. Rich kids pay for their education while the rest just have to work HARDER for it.

On a related note, Do u think that people who get 600 have no lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

some people are just damn smart. and some have that photographic memory thing (damn never had that..).
    but there are a few that you'd just wonder

no amount of smartness can make u get 600 without studying like mad. The worst thing is hearing people say, didnt really study for it, got 500 or someother bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

ah hell, it's all over. never again. hellll yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

ehh i think it's a bit unfair to lump private schools and grind schools into the same category there mate. A grind school isnt officially a school in the eyes of the government, it's a private limited company, which is why they dont do 1st to 3rd year (it's compulsory to attend a SCHOOL at that age.) This is also why they sit their leavings in real schools, grind schools cant be an exam centre. A grind schools pays entirely for the teachers wages themselves, with no government subsidising.

A private school is an officailly recognised school, and the teachers wages are paid entirely by the government. The reason they attract good teachers is because of the good name they have and the fact that many students return to their alma mater. The fees paid by parents don't go towards just 'buying an education', they go towards building facilities for extra curricular activites so the student isn't just geared towards the leaving like a grind school. Indeed, in many places the fees are used to support a scholarship scheme for disadvantaged students, for instance, in my school 15% of all students are scholarship with a view to get that number up to 25% over the next 5 years.

I think there's a big difference there that should be noted and it should be realised that all private schools aren't like CastleRock out of Ross O Carroll Kelly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

If you are the sort of student will work hard, has academic ability, and a desire to succeed, do you think it makes a difference whether you go to a grind school or not?

Do you think it makes a difference where you go?

Is it about perceived quality of teaching?

If those three (all A1) kids in Cork had gone to grind schools would they have done even better?

Are their teachers better/worse than grind schools?

Does the fact that your parents are paying out lots of money for you to go to a grind school influence how hard you work?

People get what they work for. For someone to say they got 600 points without working at all is a lie and an insult to people who have to work very hard to get a bare pass. There is nothing shameful about working hard and getting what you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I've given my opinion on this loads of times, again, I really disagree with grind schools for the majority of people. Yes Leaving Cert results are important but school is about more than results. You get lots of notes yes but if you spend the time studying books etc you get in a normal school you can still get good results! Yes there are some bad teachers in some schools but the majority will go out of their way to help you if you show that you're putting in some effort.

I went to the local VEC, did my LC in 2004 and got 590. There were awful messers in some of my classes, some who didn't care but teachers knew that some of us did and went out of their way for us, coming in early staying late etc. Also I had great fun continuing debating for the school in sixth year, having a laugh with friends and going to all the school events.

As for the other question, I did have a life! Yes I studied most days after school and on Sundays, but I saw my bf every Friday and Saturday. Went out with friends during the week. And yes I know I didn't get 600 but couldn't have got much closer.. 89% for my A2!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

The worst thing is hearing people say, didnt really study for it, got 500 or someother bull.

Yes, I knew I wasn't going to get 600 points but I was horribly dissapointed with what I did get and it's been a little sickening looking at these pages with the amount of people here who have gotten 480 or more.

From the amount of people here that had high points it seemed like a lot may be from grinds schools. They may not have gone to grinds schools and just worked hard or got very lucky but I have a feeling there's a good few people here that did take the private root.

Fair ****s to anyone that got that amount of points. I don't begrudge them their results. If I have kids I'll be sending them to private schools.

I'm going to private college in September and because my maths didn't work out I have to do a supplementary maths exam and then get a place on the course. They have been incredibly helpful over the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

GDM wrote:
    From the amount of people here that had high points it seemed like a lot may be from grinds schools.

Many of the LC students on boards have internet access at home. They are not representative of the majority of people who sat the LC. It's quite possible many or most of them attended private or grind schools, but this is not the norm nationwide.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I went to both they seriously can not be compared.

Private schools from my experience have smaller classes,more one to one contact with students,more in the way of extra curricular activities then normal schools.
    Grinds schools (the institute) has huge classes,no extra curricular activities in 6th year and has the best notes ever.

Maybe you want to poll private against public or grind schools against normal schools?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Kate_17

I don't have a problem with grind schools. They're a facility available if people are able and willing to pay the money. A good grind school would make sure it had excellent teachers and would weed out disruptive students, which is a bonus.

Don't forget, however, that voluntary secondary school students frequently come out with equally brilliant results. I attend a state school and have just got 600 points. Really it's up to you whether you go for a grind school or not. I think if your teachers are good there's no reason why you shouldn't do as well in a state school.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

No. I know Laura Hurley, one of the girls from Cork who got nine A1s, and you definitely couldn't describe her as having no life. She's a hard worker and is extremely intelligent, but she's as far from being a geek as you can possibly get

I went to a private school, I got an academic scholarship, and it's completely different to a grind school. They had loads of extra curricular stuff for people to get involved in, such as sports and drama, that a grind school wouldn't have. They were definitely very supportive of sixth years though - we had our own separate area of the school, a study room, and a kitchen area for making food. We were allowed stay in school until nine to work if we wanted to. Ok, so there were a lot of people who didn't bother taking advantage of any of the facilities the school offered and it could be argued that they wasted ther parents money, but on the whole it was a huge help to people who were serious about studying. You have to remember though, anyone could get over 500 if they put their mind to it, you don't have to go to a grind school or a private school to achieve that

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

A few people in my year left my school (a voluntary secondary) for grind schools, and there are at least 30 people in my year who did equally as well or better than they did. It's about how much work you put in yourself, that's it. (OK, and a tiny bit of it is natural intelligence!) Personally, I'd prefer the experience of a normal school and just working hard myself.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Also, if you go to a grinds school you don't have a Debs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I went to Ashfield for a week during Easter. I can't say it was too helpful, tbh. The notes they gave out were brilliant, but for physics, spanish, and geography, literally all they did was read through the notes. English and history was a bit more interactive, though. The notes were really good, and the comparative text answer I got in English saved my ass, cos I memorised it and rewrote it, lol... but I don't know if it was worth it. hmmm.

On the side topic, I don't think it's worth the amount of energy and study it takes to get 600(or 900, for f*ck sake) points. At the end of the day, it's an exam that will help you into college. I didn't enjoy most of the subjects, either. It's not worth spending hours every day and discarding your social life completely just to get all A1's. There is more to life than exams, and people take this way to seriously. If you need 600 points to get into your course, then that's fine if you really want the course; but some people think of this as a measure of their ability as a person, and I think that that's the wrong attitude, and those who think of it as such should seriously reevaluate their life, and put it into perspective. I would much prefer to climb a mountain and look at the amazing view. Seriously, just think of it as an exam, and not as a measure of yourself. It's not important.

Wow, I'm already talking about it retrospectively :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I went to the institute at easter. i found it really beneficial and am glad i went.
    i have no problem with grindschools but i know i wouldnt go myself full-time or send my kids to one as i think the ''normal'' private/voluntary schools offer more for students regarding extra-curricular activites and social-interaction among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I did my LC in 2002. I took grinds(English, Irish, Accounting) and an extra subject (applied maths) in Ashfield. I found the English grinds to be fantastic, and with having a terrible teacher in school, the grinds almost certainly earned me my B1 in English. Irish was very helpful too... but I just couldn't put up with the workload of 8 honours subjects so I dropped to pass after the mocks. Ended up with an A2 at ordinary level :) Accounting was quite helpful too. Applied Maths was fantastic. Great teacher, great subject, great class and I ended up with an A1 in it :)
    Grinds *are* helpful. But at the end of the day, you have to put the work in yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

The advantages of a grind school as I see them is that you are guaranteed a very high standard of teachers and if you have difficulty studying they seem to force you to do so! I went to a private school and there were a few teachers around that were really terrible and couldn't give a damn for their students, not that all the teachers were poor, most were excellent and dedicated. But a school, public or private, really has no means to remove a bad teacher unlike a for-profit grind school. But those advantages have to be weighed against the fact that they have no extra-curricular activities, any sort of school spirit or alumni associations.
    The inequality and injustice of our educatonal system is shocking. Rich kids pay for their education while the rest just have to work HARDER for it.

That is complete and utter bull. No amount of money will buy you 600 points. People have to work no matter how rich.

No I don't, I know 3 people who got 600 points and it is quite possible to have a life and do well. Those who say otherwise are sorely jealous of others successes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

I have attended a private school for the last five years. Its a good school and all but when i found out this year that my prinicipal, vice principal and the best English teacher ever were all leaving it was a sign. Not to mention the awful Chemistry teacher i had (the whole class failed at Easter ok so one girl barely passed), German teacher = crap, the french teachers crap....then what can i do? I mean a person need good leadership and gudiance too and for a little bit extra i hope i will get my points! Im going to start sixth year in a grind school this September... Im going to miss my friends all the events and stuff are school did but this is the choice i have made so heres hoping! That said no one can do really well without studyin so people who say i didnt study blah blah are all faking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I am currently in a private school, and I find it is alot better then a public one. It's much more professinol, it's more relaxed yet still strict, it's like a college. I say with most things, shell out the cash and you'll get a better product. An advocate of that would be like buying an expensive TV, it's gonna be alot better then a cheap one.

(Ignore any typos, thats not a reflection of my education) :p

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote:
    I went to Ashfield for a week during Easter. I can't say it was too helpful, tbh. The notes they gave out were brilliant, but for physics, spanish, and geography, literally all they did was read through the notes. English and history was a bit more interactive, though. The notes were really good, and the comparative text answer I got in English saved my ass, cos I memorised it and rewrote it, lol... but I don't know if it was worth it. hmmm.

On the side topic, I don't think it's worth the amount of energy and study it takes to get 600(or 900, for f*ck sake) points. At the end of the day, it's an exam that will help you into college. I didn't enjoy most of the subjects, either. It's not worth spending hours every day and discarding your social life completely just to get all A1's. There is more to life than exams, and people take this way to seriously. If you need 600 points to get into your course, then that's fine if you really want the course; but some people think of this as a measure of their ability as a person, and I think that that's the wrong attitude, and those who think of it as such should seriously reevaluate their life, and put it into perspective. I would much prefer to climb a mountain and look at the amazing view. Seriously, just think of it as an exam, and not as a measure of yourself. It's not important.

Wow, I'm already talking about it retrospectively :p

great post, u took words out of my mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I wouldnt entirely agree with you Dave. If someone isn't bolloxed putting in any effort intot he LC and they do terrible, or course you have reason to judge them. That would clearly show lack of commitment etc.

That is complete and utter bull. No amount of money will buy you 600 points. People have to work no matter how rich. .

i agree, thats why i said "HARDER"

No I don't, I know 3 people who got 600 points and it is quite possible to have a life and do well. Those who say otherwise are sorely jealous of others successes.

yeah i'd be lying if i didn't say i was jealous of people who got 600 who isn't? Maybe its just because i didn't get what i wanted but thats not the issue.
    Really step outside the situation, and look at these people's lives for the entirety of sixth year and possibly fifth year aswel. For that period they DO NOT have a life. I even noticed the difference between the social life i sacrificed for sixth year and results i got, and social life some people had and results they got.

i wouldnt say the more points you have the less personality but prob social life. Of course there are factors - natural intelligence, how hard u work on that, and your enviornment (school).

I went to public school, about 6 people got 500 plus.

Thanks guys :p

If someone puts no effort in and fails, then they deserved it, really! But putting lots of effort in and turning 5th/6th year into the worst of your life is also a bad thing. There IS a middle ground, so... just have perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Really step outside the situation, and look at these people's lives for the entirety of sixth year and possibly fifth year aswel. For that period they DO NOT have a life.

Your wrong there man. My best mate played for 2 gaelic teams and 1 soccer team all through the year. Plus it was a huge part of his life, he won the All Ireland with the school that year then that same year he started drinking and went out a ****load.

I think if you get 600 points you have natural intelligence and a great ability to work. You sound like a dude who is mad jealous.

I would`ve hated to have gone to a grind school. If I had`nt my rugby I think I would`ve turned into a fat mess. I worked hard and played hard and got greeat results. Happy Days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

Beau wrote:
    Your wrong there man. My best mate played for 2 gaelic teams and 1 soccer team all through the year. Plus it was a huge part of his life, he won the All Ireland with the school that year then that same year he started drinking and went out a ****load.

I think if you get 600 points you have natural intelligence and a great ability to work. You sound like a dude who is mad jealous.

I would`ve hated to have gone to a grind school. If I had`nt my rugby I think I would`ve turned into a fat mess. I worked hard and played hard and got greeat results. Happy Days.
    yeah i think the exta-curicular activities in private schools are great...you need an outlet and something else to do besides studying! i've been going to a private school all my life, ever since junior infants and i wouldn't change that! I've had a great education so far...grind schools like the institute are good schools, they just hve their emphasis on, and only on work, study and points! I would crack up if i went there! A lot of girls in my year hve gone there for 5th year and again more hve left for 6th year. They all want to get the best results they can...though i don't think you have to go to a fee paying school to get these. Some of my friends go to public schools...2 of them got 600 this year and 3 got 580! And they werent studying every single night...they were out like the rest of us (and im a 5th year...well 6th year now)

I do have a problem however with parents who force their kids to do things that they dont wanna do! I know a guy who is going to a school that starts at 8am and finishes at 10pm every single day...monday to SATURDAY!!! His parents are taking his tv out of his room, confiscating his mobile, not allowing him to play any rugby or any sport that might, distract, him from his studies

Now, i think THAT is wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

Really step outside the situation, and look at these people's lives for the entirety of sixth year and possibly fifth year aswel. For that period they DO NOT have a life.

Again that is absolute bull. It is perfectly possible to have a good social life and get 600 points. I myself got 590 thus making me one of "these people” and I worked considerably less than most of my friends who were disappointed on results day. The difference was I worked consistently through 6th year and had a goal so I didn’t have to freak out when the mocks or whatever hit. I didn’t have to study most weekends until March or so. I also know rugby players in my school who were on the senior team that managed around 500 points despite the training they had to do almost all year. To get 600 points you do probably need to be quite bright but that doesn’t mean you won’t have a social life by any means. I agree with Beau you do sound like a dude who is mad jealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Kate_17

The inequality and injustice of our educatonal system is shocking. Rich kids pay for their education while the rest just have to work HARDER for it.

I'm with defiantshrimp here. I've heard quotes like this loads of times and it drives me nuts - people saying "grind schools should be closed down because people who can't pay don't have the chance to go" - utter nonsense. You can pay for great educational standards which is fine by me... I would do it for my own children in the future if I felt I needed to. But you can do equally as well in state schools if you work and have good teachers. You can be super-rich and attend any grind school, but it doesn't mean you'll come out with points for medicine just like that - you have to be bright and work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Shrimp wrote:
    I am currently in a private school, and I find it is alot better then a public one. It's much more professinol, it's more relaxed yet still strict, it's like a college. I say with most things, shell out the cash and you'll get a better product. An advocate of that would be like buying an expensive TV, it's gonna be alot better then a cheap one.

(Ignore any typos, thats not a reflection of my education) :p

How the hell would you know what a public school is like?

• Advertisement

^
    Maybe they went to a public school before...? Maybe they're just repeating in a private one?

Advertisement