Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland -v- France...your starting 11?

• 18-08-2005 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

With just under three weeks to go, and having been in Lansdowne last night for the Itlaian game, I've been thinking of our strongest eleven for the French game.

AFAIK there are no suspensions, so hopefully Kerr will be able to pick from a full strength squad.

There's some tough calls, I've bracketed the 50/50 choices; Here's my offering:

1. S. Given
    2. S Carr
    3. S Finnan
    4. K. Cunningham
    5. R. Dunne (A. O'Brien)
    6. Roy Keane
    7. A. Reid (S.Reid)
    8. M.Holland (K. Kilbane)
    9. Robbie Keane
    10. C. Morrison
    11. D Duff

The hardest call is Kilbane, I was in Paris and he was outstanding, and his running could compliment Roy Keane's holding role; but I thought he looked a little off last night.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Only one winger, as in Duff, is needed in an Irish team. If Duff is injured, play Andy Reid. Duff can switch wings during the game when needed. Play Kilbane. He has his faults but we dont hav anyone else. Play Roy. Play O'Brien. Holland or Kavanagh, it doesnt matter. The team and formation for France that I would pick would be:

Given
    Finnan - O'Brien - Cunningham - O'Shea
    Kilbane - Holland - Roy K - Duff --
    --- Morrison -- Robbie K

If Kerr picks a 4-5-1 formation for the French match, it will be asking for trouble and the French to come on to us. That would be a mistake in my opinion.

I agree that there are a few close calls to make in terms of the selction, mainly in the midfield, as the players there do not "pick themselves" with their performances.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

I would go with the following:

Given
    Carr---O’Brien---Cunningham----Harte
    ----Reid---Keane---O’Shea---Duff----
    Morrison---Keane

I thought Kilbane was very poor in the first half last night though he did improve a lot in the second half. I just think his first touch and quality of passing is not up to scratch and he will be found out against France. I know O’Shea is a novice at CM but I he is a big strong athletic player like Kilbane however technically he is much better with Roy in beside him I think he would flourish.

Reid on the right as I think he has come on as a player and offers an attacking threat from the right. Duff on the left and Robbie and Clinton upfront are pretty obvious IMHO. Finnan has been sluggish this season so far with Liverpool and Carr looked very sharp to me last night.

Dunne looked overweight and very unfit last night, I know his pre season was disrupted by the foot injury but we looked much more solid at the back last night when he came on at half time. Harte at left back as O’Shea is playing in the middle, I know he has a lack of pace but his ability from the dead ball situation could be crucial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I thought Finnan was close on Man-of-the-match last night...O'Brien did very well when he came on. Steven Reid was excellent and poor at the same time, I thought he could've done more to block their first goal. Andy Reid the same, made some good runs a passes (especially long-range to release Duff) but gives up too easily sometimes when he loses the ball. The continental playes hate being harried and chased especially in their own half in posession

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

How could you possibly have Dunne in instead of O'Brien :confused::confused:

I was also at last nights game and Dunne was absolutely woeful, his fault for conseeding the corner that led to the first and he stood with his fat hands up while Gilardino buried the rebound after Given had superbly saved his first effort. Vieri could have made it worse when he drifted off the back of Dunne and hit the crossbar.

For me the starting 11 should resemble

Given

Finnan---Cunningham---O'Brien---Harte

Keane
    Kilbane/Kavanagh
    A. Reid
    Duff

Keane
    Morrison

For me I would choose Harte over O'Shea for 2 reasons, I have never seen O'Shea have a good game in an Irish jersey and because Harte gives you that deadball option. The downside to Harte is his serious lack of pace.

Kilbane would deserve his place for me but Kerr might want to break up the French play so I reckon if fit Kavanagh could well start. The only thing i would be worried about is if Kerr plays both Kavanagh & Kilbane which would mean a 4-5-1 which we seen last nite simply wont work.

my 2 cents

O'Brien impressed with some good covering and pace when it mattered...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Given
    Carr---O’Brien---Cunningham----Harte
    ----Reid---Keane---O’Shea---Duff----
    Morrison---Keane

That would do me as well. Maybe a swap with Finnan on istead of Carr but i would start with that. We should get a good result there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Given

Finnann
    Cunningham---O' Brien
    Harte/O' Shea

Keane----Kilbane

Reid
    Duff

Keane
    Morrison

I'm just wondering about the left-back position. Set-pieces could be very important when we're up against a quality team and won't have a lion's share of posession. Although our set-plays left a little to be desired last night, there's no doubt that Harte can really swing a free kick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

bruachain wrote:
    I thought Finnan was close on Man-of-the-match last night

Are you having a laugh? Did you watch the match last night? Finnan was at fault for the second Italian goal. God knows what he was at but he was messing around on the wing and lost the ball which was then swiftly played through to Gillardino who scored. Great Man of the Match performance.
    bruachain wrote:
    Steven Reid was excellent and poor at the same time, I thought he could've done more to block their first goal

Reid was the only player who tried to get out and block teh shot while four other Irish players stood in the box and watched. none of them tried to bloack teh ball.

Dunne was a disaster and will not play. He was out of shape and lacks pace. I can not believe taht some people are suggesting playing Dunne Cunningham and Harte together. We are playing France people look at the pace they posses and you want to play the 3 slowest defenders we have? Very clever.
    O' Brien will start at the center with Kenny thats a certainty.

Harte again is too slow and France will catch us on the break. O' Shea a much better option. even if he has a poor game going forward his pace will be vital to defend against the French.

Kilbane has done nothing wrong in teh center and he did well against Italy (despite his stupid flick for their first goal) and he will start. he hasnt let us down so far and he can also stride forward with the ball which we nee if we are to score. Kavanagh and Keane are too similiar and will not play together and cant play together. The team would be too defensive. Holland doesnt do enough to warrant a start. Andy Reid has great passing ability and is a very good crosser of the ball. he needs to tackle more but then again we want to win teh game and we need our attcking players on teh pitch.

The forward pick themselves.

Given

Finnan--O' Brien--Cunningham--O' Shea

Reid
    Keane----Kilbane
    Duff

Morrisson---Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think that the 4-3-3 is an option.

Heres how I think Kerr might see it.
    Zidane and Makelele have returned.
    Vieira is the captain.
    The 3 of those absolutely have to play.
    Thus the French team is going to lack width, not that it had much width in the first place.
    The way to counter this is to pack the middle.
    I feel Keano and O'Shea could handle Zidane and Vieira better than any other combination. I don't think anyone else could handle it.
    In a 4-4-2, we absolutly would have to play Kilbane on the left wing, and inturn push Duff up front, because Kilbane will drift into the centre to help out, which is absolutely vital. Duff can't be restricted, he is our goal threat. So either Duff up front or a 4-3-3 has to be played to have any chance of scoring.

I think if we play a 4-3-3, it will be the following:
    Given
    Finnan-Cunningham-O'Brien-Harte
    Keano-O'Shea
    Kilbane
    Duff-Keano-Reid

I love Kilbane, the guy runs his heart out for Ireland, and while not having a huge amount of skill, will get us dangerous free kicks. These can be put away by heart, hence why I wouldn't play Carr there. Also since they lack width, and their main threat on the wings will be Henry, who will be Finnans job, it won't be a huge risk defensivly.
    Keano + O'Shea can handle the middle, and they can control the game. O'Shea has got the legs to back up Keano, and can tackle to boot.
    Kilbane can push forwad and get us frees.
    Duff and Reid can play the free role up front. It is vital, utterly vital that Duff gets the ball as much as humanly possible. Furthermore he needs to be free to roam, otherwise he will be marked out of it by Thuram, one of the best right backs ever. Reid might be able to provide some magic.
    And Keano will nick a goal better than anyone. The problem with this of course is that Keano ain't a big front man, but Roy and O'Shea can control the game from midfield.
    Whether we win our not imo will depend on one thing and one thing only, Roy Keane.
    Even if we play a 4-4-2, or a 4-3-3, or a 4-5-1, it doesn't matter, I think it all comes down to him.
    If he can take over the midfield, we've got a shot. If he can't, we're ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Given

Reid
    Keane----Kilbane
    Duff

Morrisson---Keane

I'd probably just about agree with that team, with the main doubt for me being whether or not to put Kavanagh in instead of Kilbane. If I were Brian Kerr I'd be watching the club form of both over the next couple of weeks, because it's going to be an important decision. O Shea doesn't fill me with confidence in any position, but himself and Finnan probably just about edge out Harte and Carr. The one hope I'd have is that Kerr has everyone fit and willing; whatever team he picks, I don't think I'll have too many objections before the match starts, but of course, with the benefit of hindsight, we'll all be experts by 10pm on September 7th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Bateman wrote:

Given

Reid
    Keane----Kilbane
    Duff

Morrisson---Keane

same .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Big Ears wrote:
    same .
    ditto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Bateman wrote:

Given

Reid
    Keane----Kilbane
    Duff

Morrisson---Keane

same. but id like to see a naturally right sided player on the right. reid was playing well for us down the right back in days of mick mccarthy. so he could be an option but this is too big a game to be trying things for the first time so the above would be mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

alot of yous are being very harsh on dunne. His first match this season isnt it? or his seoncd. Just back from breaking his foot. And back early aswell. You can hardly expect him to be at the peak of his fitness. He should be in 3 weeks time If he is he should be ahead of O'brien.

All last season dunne was the better player, once he is fit i dont expect that to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

i think the above is what kerr will probably go with unless there is a drop in form by someone or an injury.

Still we can move things around if they dont work. For example bringing on elliott up front, or bringing josh in midfield or something like that. we have plenty of options providing everyone is fit.

I cant imagine kerr going with a 4-3-3 ,we need 3 really strong midfielders for that, otherwise the front two wingers have to constantly trek back. Im not sure if Josh Keano Kilbane in that order would be able to hold the midfield. Plus it would mean losing Robbie or Clinton up front. So 4-4-2 for me please

Kingp35 wrote:
    Are you having a laugh? Did you watch the match last night? Finnan was at fault for the second Italian goal. God knows what he was at but he was messing around on the wing and lost the ball which was then swiftly played through to Gillardino who scored. Great Man of the Match performance.

Reid was the only player who tried to get out and block teh shot while four other Irish players stood in the box and watched. none of them tried to bloack teh ball.

No I'm not having a laugh! :D

Finnan IMO does the basics well, and he doesnt stick out; Granted he was caught messing for the second goal, it was just in front of me, but otherwise I thought he had a fine game and looked solid. Reid also played well, and he was the only one to approach the loose ball for the first goal, but if you look at the clip, he moved out, but actully did f-all making an effort to actually throw his body in the way. I don't even think a leg was stuck out! He should've at least made it difficult to score, but in saying that it was a rocket. IMO the whole defence were at fault for the first goal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

alot of yous are being very harsh on dunne. His first match this season isnt it? or his seoncd. Just back from breaking his foot. And back early aswell. You can hardly expect him to be at the peak of his fitness. He should be in 3 weeks time If he is he should be ahead of O'brien.

All last season dunne was the better player, once he is fit i dont expect that to change.

I have already explained why Dunne shouldnt play. Its not the fact he played badly and even if he was as fit as he has ever been fact is he still too slow to play against a speedy French team. You cant play Cunningham and Dunne together because they just have no pace.

O' Brien has to start.

Kingp35 wrote:
    I have already explained why Dunne shouldnt play. Its not the fact he played badly and even if he was as fit as he has ever been fact is he still too slow to play against a speedy French team. You cant play Cunningham and Dunne together because they just have no pace.

O' Brien has to start.
    I'd actually say Dunne is faster than O'Brien but O'Brien has been rock solid for us whenever he has played and deserves to start. Just don't play such a high line as we did against Italy and we should be fine. Wigan kept Chelsea out for most of the match with Henchoz and 35 year old de Zeeuw at the back. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

O'Brien has better acceleration but done is quicker at full pelt .

Kingp35 wrote:

First off, I do not think that Finnan was man-of-the-match, far from it, but he had an ok game and its ludicrous to blame him for the second goal, as here is what happened:

Ireland have the ball in the Italian half
    Duff has switched to the right side of attack
    Duff and Finnan interchange with Kilbane
    Finnan provides an overlap, but Duff loses the ball in a tackle
    Italy break and work the ball through, Dunne covers and backpasses to Given
    Given clears the ball high to the sideline half-way in Ireland's half
    Finnan tries to a pass to Duff who is behind him
    However, its short and Del Piero just manages to keep the ball in play
    The Italian skips past Duff and threads a ball through past Holland and Cunningham to Gillardino who scores on the second attempt
    with O'Shea asleep and not reacting to the saved ball

Blaming the goal on Finnan is 100% wrong. It was a team fault, and I would put the blame mainly on bad marking by Cunningham and poor follow-up on the saved shot, such as from O'Shea. Oh, and Duff lost the ball in the 1st place with Ireland in an advanced position and also got skinned by Del Piero.

redspider

• Advertisement

Kingp35, you didnt come back on the post above.

Also, this thread is now relevant again as the Franch game is within sight.

What do people think the starting 11 should be, and perhaps lets think like a manager and who should be on the bench for ways to change the game, etc?

redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fergmcd

Is Connelly still availible for international selection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Against France we can't play 2 attackers and 2 wingers - we would get murdered. Either drop Reid or Keane and play another CM with Keane and push Kilbane wider - yes he is a winger but can defend better than most and will drop into the middle also.
    I would be tempted to play a front 6 of

Keane O'Shea Kavanagh
    Duff Kilbane
    Keane/Morrison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

TheMonster wrote:
    Against France we can't play 2 attackers
    Sure, we played 2 up in Paris! If we're gonna win this match, we need our 2 orthodox forwards and get at them right from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

We definitely need two up front, if we dont even provide an attacking threat life will be too simple for France. If we dont have someone chasing down ball in the French defensive third, they can take the ball down and pick out Zidane in the middle all day long.

In fairness, it might be an idea to try and limit his time on the ball.

Clinton will get in amongst them and throw himself about a bit and then we can try to pick out Robbie with a few passes. I fancy Robbie to play well in this game.

Its a tricky question. The aim of this match probably should be a draw. Out of the 3 remaining matches, it is the toughest one, and draw and two wins would see us through, I think. But one of the best ways to get a draw is to put a bit of pressure on the other team. But dont over stretch it. That would mean two up front, Robbie and Morrison. The defence also shouldnt get too far up and the midfield need to be able top cover well. Thats why I wouldnt be in favour of Andy Reid. Duff, a single winger, is enough.

Given
    Finnan - O'Brien - Cunningham - O'Shea
    Kilbane - Holland - Roy- Duff
    Robbie - Morrison

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Kilbane definitely in the centre over Holland. Kilbane was great in France, he is serioulsy rated by their camp!

Given the way A.Reid is playing he deserves a chance.

We should be going to win this game, a cautious approach looking to steal one will leave us with egg on our face I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Given
    O'Shea - Finnan
    Dunne - Cunningham
    Roy Keane
    Kavanagh - Kilbane
    Duff
    Keane - Morrison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

There is no way we should be looking to draw or go for a 1-0 type game plan. That has backfired on us far too many times this campaign!

We need to attack them and be mindful of the counter attack(A very good reason to pick O'Brien is his pace for covering counter-attacks).

4-4-2 will cause the french some problems.

I think

Given
    Finnan---O’Brien---Cunningham----Harte
    ----S/A Reid---Keane---Kilbane---Duff----
    Morrison---Keane

Cunningham and O'Brien play very well together.
    Harte simply his deadball skills.
    Finnan is solid and a good crosser of the ball.
    Kilbane because the french think he is good (and will run all night)
    Duff on the left crossing for Morrison.
    A Reid can play balls that unlock a defence, the sort Robbie Keane loves.
    But the reason he is not a certain starter for me is his lack of concentration and defensive lapses some times.

• Advertisement

Ireland squad:

Shay Given Newcastle
    Paddy Kenny Sheff Utd
    Nick Colgan Dundee United
    Ian Harte Levante
    Steve Finnan Liverpool
    Kenny Cunningham Birmingham
    Stephen Carr Newcastle
    Andy O'Brien Portsmouth
    Gary Doherty Norwich
    Richard Dunne Manchester City
    Gary Breen Sunderland
    Matt Holland Charlton
    John O'Shea Manchester United
    Roy Keane Manchester United
    Liam Miller Manchester United
    Kevin Kilbane Everton
    Graham Kavanagh Wigan
    Andy Reid Tottenham
    Steven Reid Blackburn
    Damien Duff Chelsea
    Robbie Keane Tottenham
    Clinton Morrison Crystal Palace
    Stephen Elliott Sunderland

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/0829/ireland.html

evilhomer wrote:
    There is no way we should be looking to draw or go for a 1-0 type game plan. We need to attack them and be mindful of the counter attack

Given
    Finnan---O’Brien---Cunningham----Harte
    ----S/A Reid---Keane---Kilbane---Duff----
    Morrison---Keane

Cunningham and O'Brien play very well together.
    Harte simply his deadball skills.
    Finnan is solid and a good crosser of the ball.
    Kilbane because the french think he is good (and will run all night)
    Duff on the left crossing for Morrison.
    A Reid can play balls that unlock a defence, the sort Robbie Keane loves.
    But the reason he is not a certain starter for me is his lack of concentration and defensive lapses some times.

I dont think Harte has it anymore. Sure, keep him on the bench, but his dead ball play against Italy was off the boil.

Stephen Reid could do a job at right midfield, but I would rather see Kilbane do it.

I agree about A.Reid, ok for going forward, but not enough covering back. We will need that.

I think we could bring on Elliot for Morrison when he starts slowing and prepare for that, give him a good 20 mins at the end so Morrison can go hell for leather in the 2nd half. Morrison is for me at times too slow with his runs, he is in the right areas if the ball breaks to him, as in the dissallowed goal against Italy and the goal against Israel, but he just doesnt make enough darting runs and lose defenders.

redspider

redspider wrote:
    I agree about A.Reid, ok for going forward, but not enough covering back. We will need that.
    I would have said that too until I seen him play for Spurs this season. His workrate was 2nd to none.
    Player  	Tackles  Tackle %  	   	   	 
    1 	Paul Stalteri 	20 	69% 	  	  	 
    [B]2 	Andy Reid 	19 	73%[/B] 	  	  	 
    3 	Edgar Davids 	16 	69% 	  	  	 
    4 	Michael Carrick 13 	64% 	  	  	 
    5 	Teemu Tainio 	13 	73%

Not very many players in the premiership have put in more tackles than Reid and he has a fairly high success rate. I think Reid has to start against France considering his form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I know this is a bit off topic as I'm not posting "my starting eleven", however I think we are royally screwed on Wednesday lads. France are alot stronger than they were when we played them last time around :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

...................................Given
    O' Shea............Cunningham...........O'Brien........Finnan
    .........................Keane................kilbane

................................... Holland
    Duff.............................................................Reid

............................Keane

Given = Simply because he's one of the best keepers in the world.
    O'Shea = Had a great game at right back yesterday against newcastle he may have finally found his position.
    Cunningham = Our only half decent centre half
    O'Brien = well because there is no one else other than Richard Bunn
    Finnan = Good quality full back, don't like Ian Harte
    Keane = Getting on in years but still such a presence, will raise his game for the French.
    Kilbane = not graced with skills but is a battler.
    Holland = Simply because i would rather switch to five in midfield to prevent Clinton Morrison from playing.
    Reid = an average winger can do the job on his day
    Duff = Our best player
    Keane = Tricky stricker may cause a few problem with link up play using duff, reid and holland

-oRnein9- wrote:
    ...................................Given
    O' Shea............Cunningham...........O'Brien........Finnan
    .........................Keane................kilbane
    ................................... Holland
    Duff.............................................................Reid
    ............................Keane

O'Shea = Had a great game at right back yesterday against newcastle he may have finally found his position.
    Finnan = Good quality full back, don't like Ian Harte
    Holland = Simply because i would rather switch to five in midfield to prevent Clinton Morrison from playing.

I thought that you got your lefts and your rights mixed up, and maybe you have or ?

Finnan is a right back. O'Shea can play left back. (although I think his best position is as CB but neither Ireland nor Man U need him for that.)
    A Reid is a right-sided player.
    Duff is left but can switch during the game for 10%-25% on the right for variety (mind you, it was in this formation when Ireland let their goal in against Italy).

I'm not sure about 4-5-1. I take your point that Morrison is not the best, but if we play 4-5-1 we wont having a go at the French at all. And we need that imo. If we want France to be anyway halfway afraid, we have to play 4-4-2. Holland can do a job for us, I agree, as can Kilbane.

I have the same team as you except that I have Morrison in and A.Reid out in a 4-4-2 formation. Another player that Kerr fancies is S.Reid. He may get the nod on the right side. And Kavanagh is another option. I expect these players will get used in the game. We have a handful of midfield players, the only problem we have is that apart from Duff, none are brilliant.

Eirebhoy: I take your point about A.Reid and his defensive qualities improving. I agree that he has done that for Spurs this season, and the stats are a reasonable indicator of that. For me though, he just hasnt done it for Ireland. In a 4-4-2 formation I think he would be a potential weak-link. But, so could any of our midfielders I suppose. Holland, Kilbane, Kavanagh if he plays, and even "god" Roy. I think that whilst it might be attractive to play Andy, it might not be wise. Kerr is a fan of his though so I would not be surpirsed to see him included.

decisions, decisions ......

redspider

• Advertisement

sjones wrote:
    I think we are royally screwed on Wednesday lads. France are alot stronger than they were when we played them last time around

Yeah, France will be stronger, there is no doubt about that. The return of star players will bolster them, not only in terms of ability but aso in the minds of French players and Irish players alike. This will be a battle.

Do you know the French squad yet and also, what was their formation in the last match against Ivory Coast, (who's flag is the reverse of Ireland's tri-colour by the way)? Lets hope we can reverse the scoreline too .....

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

redspider wrote:
    A Reid is a right-sided player.

No he's not, he is left footed, plays on the left for spurs. only plays on the right for Ireland because of Duff.

As regards Andy Reids tackling, I agree he does a fair bit of tackling, but sometimes thats because he has gotten himself out of position. He does tend to dive into tackles a bit too.

I'm sure if Kerr is going for the win, he has to play Andy Reid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

Given
    Carr---Dunne---Cunningham---O' Shea
    Finnan---Keane---Kilbane---A Reid
    Duff
    Keane

redspider wrote:
    Do you know the French squad yet and also, what was their formation in the last match against Ivory Coast?

Coupet
    Sagnol--Thuram--Boumsong--Gallas
    Makalele

Zidane----Malouda
    Wiltord
    Henry
    Dhorasoo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Given

Finnan---Dune---Cunningham---O'Shea

A.Reid
    Roy
    Kilbane
    Duff

Bling Bling----Robbie

Subs:-
    Gk: Murphy
    Harte
    S.Reid
    O'Brien
    Carr
    Breen
    Kavanagh
    Miller
    Elliot

Drop Holland, he's muck.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:

Coupet
    Sagnol--Thuram--Boumsong--Gallas
    Makalele

Zidane----Malouda
    Wiltord
    Henry
    Dhorasoo

Thanks for that.

So, a 4-3-3 system .... I presume Henry drifted out wide
    left a fair bit as he usually does. Wiltord is an ideal wide right.
    I dont know enough about Dhorasoo who I presumed filled in.
    Will Trezequet be back for our match?
    Interesting to see Gallas at Left Back.

For us, the full back positions and covering midfielders
    will be crucial to preventing moves and play from building up.
    Finnan on Henry is ok, but he will need cover. Kilbane, I
    dont think will be the ideal help. As a poster above suggests,
    with Finnan at right midfield with the cover of Carr, that
    would be stronger on Henry, essenially double-marking him
    when necessary. But that would limit our attack, so if your
    school of thought is that attack is the best way to defend,
    then two backs on the right would not be the best.

redspider

Actually if anything dhorasoo was the one drifting, he's about 5'4" tall, very slight but has a great passing range and is very, very fast, ligthing quick feet.

I think the france team will be as follows.

Coupet.

Zebina Thuram Boumsong Gallas

Zidane Viera Dhorasoo

Wiltord Henry

Trezeguet

If that is the case they will cause us lots of problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Makelele will play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I think they will cause us lots of problems no matter what team they pick. I'd be surprised if Makelele didn't play, and I think Kerr will go with what he knows best, which is Kilbane rather than Kavanagh alongside Keane in the middle. Having said that though, Kavanagh could well expect to get on at some stage in the second half depending on circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeah, Makelele & Vieira to both anchor the midfield

Coupet.

Sagnol Thuram Boumsong Gallas

Viera Makelele

Wiltord/Dhorasoo Zidane Henry

Cisse

....with Wiltord (or Dhorasoo), Henry, Zidane all let loose to attack from behind Cisse.

haha... I actually forgot about little claude... woops...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

and Trezeguet is currently suspended to my knowledge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Given
    Carr---Dunne---Cunningham---O' Shea
    Finnan---Keane---Kilbane---A Reid
    Duff
    Keane

I agree that that's the team Kerr will go with except he won't go for Dunne, he'll go for O'Brien instead.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Clinton Morrison will start this game, without any shadow of a doubt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement