Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paper airplanes+ Origami

• 18-08-2005 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭

post up your ideas for designs and instructions(or just give a link) if the planes/ Origami models are hard to make.

and if you'v a finished one post up a photo/ picture of it

and maybe if its a paper plane rate how well it flies.

here's one - the Dart airplane (for instructions click here)

photo--dart.jpg

flies okay but think i could find a better flier

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I used to have a program as a kid that showed how to make 20 or so paper airplanes.
    They were all unique and nothing like the standard one.(no offence snorlax, <3 )
    Ill make a few when I get a chance and post up some pics. They were all based on a seemingly silly folding technique, which I believe is widely used in Oragami.
    And they all flew really well too.
    I'll show you how to make one at the pimpdaddy beers tomorrow, snorlax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

well the first is for beginers i didnt want to scare people lol, making planes is quite an art, you have to be really careful when you crease the paper, and the toss has to be just right.

there's a really cool design for a helio-airplane that kind of twirls about in the air when you drop it from a height, must do a google for it.

Origami's quite difficult as the creases are so small, has any sucessfully make one of thoes seahorses from Origami?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ye i mad a sea horse,i love making the cranes the most tbh.a lot of origami is quite hard and the instructions you recieve can be quite stupid but i say start out with the crane or box first!.

i have made tonnes of paper planes from the net, some of them are quite cool and a quick google leads to their beauty.

edit,thanks for the origami bit hehe

right i found the paper helicopter, instructions and diagram

1. Cut along all the solid lines on the diagram to the right.
    2. Fold flap A forward and flap B to the back.
    3. Fold flaps C and D both forward along the dotted lines.
    4. Fold along the line E upward to give a weight at the bottom.
    5. Now this should look like the diagram at the top.
    6. You can scale up this model as much as you want. You just drop the model with the blades facing upwards and the weight at the bottom facing downwards for the best results.
    7. To get a full size diagram of the model to print off click on image and then print the image you get.
    helicop1.gif

finished piece- heliplan.gif

Paper Helicopter Flying Lesson
    • Hold by the rectangle of paper beneath the blades and then let go pulling your hand out of the way very quickly. Everything about this helicopter is simple: making it and flying it. This is why it is my favorite paper aircraft.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

there are lots of cool ones out there aswel,just google and get some awesome pics :)
    we have made loads of types to see which went furthest etc.what happened to the always having a kitten in your sig !

• Advertisement

i don't know, the Isis/ eygptian signature signature is really colourful! and i make all my sigs through ms paint and word, ill switch back at some stage, Tar, you like cats?

i think im currently going through an eygptian mode at the moment, probably something to do with the Goddess party i was at last week!:) ps if you'v any cool designs post them up for origami/ airplanes, the perfect distraction when wer'e all supposed to be working!

snorlax wrote:
    i don't know, the Isis/ eygptian signature signature is really colourful! and i make all my sigs through ms paint and word, ill switch back at some stage, Tar, you like cats?
    woah very nice creations in paint!!heh ya i like cats,they are a nice animal.we have some :)

i have one, she loves getting dressed up, like her owner! :D

heh,classy :)

k another- more advanced paper airplane then the dart- The Lion :D

diver.jpg

Instructions- click here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Being too lazy to do pics.
    Get a piece of A4
    fold the long edge back on itself (~1cm) and roll over 5 times.
    fold it in half ( A4--> A5)
    fold back the "wings" back leaving a body of about an inch thick
    cut neatly (or tear) a rectangle of paper out between the wings and the tailplane. Trim the tailplane to about half the width of the wings.
    bend the tailplane to suit.

you can leave strakes to make the plane more stable.
      __
    [|  |
    [|  |       _
    [|  |      | |
    [|  |______| |
    [|___________|
    [|   ______  |
    [|  |      | |
    [|  |      |_|
    [|  |    
    [|__|

does it fly well? it looks a cool design

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

snorlax wrote:
    does it fly well? it looks a cool design
    try it !
    you may need to expirement with the weight on the front by the number of times you fold back the paper

ill have to try it now, ill tell you how it flies when it's ready!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Dont forget to watch the world Origami championships this weekend on Sky.

Pity it's pay per view ...

.....sorry couldn't help it...old joke !!

right i found a good design (it's alittle complicated, so don't attempt unless you'v a bit of experience!;)), for a spinner.

2colorspinner10sm.jpg

it follows origami folds here's the instructions:

http://www.geocities.com/anniefolds/twocolorspinner.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

http://www.zurqui.co.cr/crinfocus/paper/airplane.html

Try that. Complex as it comes but damn impressive.

i have built that airplane with a friend,it's a v good one.i have also done your spinner snorlax....it's amazing the things i do when bored :)

did you find the spinner hard? i prefer the planes myself then the origami and as they'r normally a bit easier to make

origami is always damn annoying with the scrumpling up off paper and throwing it away! but that is very simple compared to some of the things people make like dragons etc :)

paper planes are usually easier and less frustrating and you can have competitions but i love cranes too much in origami to prefer planes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

astec123 wrote:
    http://www.zurqui.co.cr/crinfocus/paper/airplane.html

Try that. Complex as it comes but damn impressive.

I made one of these earlier this year. Damn fine plane.

Do you have any simple Origami designs you'v done Tar that we can post up for others to attempt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

A thread for posting instructions/links to instructions for making different things with origami.

Here's a link to .GIF image on instructions to make a Shuriken (ninja thowing star). It's not great, looks like it was scanned into the PC, so the writing is hard to read, but you should be able to make it out from the pictures: http://www.ninja-weapons.com/rangedweapons/shaken/shurikenshaken_images/origami_shaken.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

:) @ "Please do NOT throw the star knife at people because this can be dangerous."

stickied, everyone post up your ideas!:) and merged with an older thread

Advertisement