Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart telecom wasting money

• 18-08-2005 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

I don't know if I am the only one but Smart won't leave me alone. I actually want to get their service but want to keep my number so I asked them to contact me when they had it sorted out. They just keep on ringing and nobody has any account of my situation or the person previously. I have recieved well over 10 calls and they keep tell me they won't ring till the situation changes. It's annoyed me so much now I don't think I will use them. Am I the only one? I have complained too besides the people who contacted me.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I don't know if I am the only one but Smart won't leave me alone. I actually want to get their service but want to keep my number so I asked them to contact me when they had it sorted out. They just keep on ringing and nobody has any account of my situation or the person previously. I have recieved well over 10 calls and they keep tell me they won't ring till the situation changes. It's annoyed me so much now I don't think I will use them. Am I the only one? I have complained too besides the people who contacted me.

Based on a couple of calls with them over the past week I would certainly be concerned about their standard of record keeping - my conversations with them would definitely not inspire confidence:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

My sister gets a call from Smart Telecom about twice a week looking for her to change her calls over. She's told them each time to stop ringing her (which by law they are supposed to do when you ask them) but they keep ringing back. I told her to lodge a complaint with ComReg (not that that will do any good I suppose) about it. Because of this, she would never even dream of using Smart Telecom. They're kind of like the Chuggers of the telecoms industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

There was some mention made a while back about Comreg introducing a "do not call" directory that companies must observe after 28 days or be hit with some unspecified penalty. I can't see the link to after briefly glancing at the comreg site but I know it was mentioned in the last month or two on boards.

Tracking that down might be of some help if its come into operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

machalla wrote:
    There was some mention made a while back about Comreg introducing a "do not call" directory that companies must observe after 28 days or be hit with some unspecified penalty. I can't see the link to after briefly glancing at the comreg site but I know it was mentioned in the last month or two on boards.

Yes, as far as i'm aware you have to contact your CURRENT phone provider and tell them to put you on the do not call list.

More info here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

they rang us once or twice about a year ago lol, no more from anyone else since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

Yes, as far as i'm aware you have to contact your CURRENT phone provider and tell them to put you on the do not call list.

More info here

Was getting calls every other day for the last few months from one provider or another, after seeing your post, I rang my provider and they put me on the Database. No more cold calls yipee...

Excellent post Aphex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I am not to bothered about sales calls in general it is just Smart I have the problem with. When you hear things like €10 million on marketing you generally assume it is not being spent on the same few customers.
    After working with lead generation I think you coulds say this is a bad sign. I would guess they have not got enough customers for their plan and are retrying all contacts regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

They didnt bank on Eircom being dickheads about letting them unbundle their exchanges, thats why they seem to be getting worried!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

Agree with "Murderer"?!
    Signed up to Smart in April.
    They said I should be connected by end of June.
    Silly me. I assumed it was June 2005.
    Mostly due to Eircom blocking competition, helped by senile judge
    blocking Comreg from doing their job.
    That said Smart do themselves no favours continually advertising something they can't deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

They didnt bank on Eircom being dickheads about letting them unbundle their exchanges, thats why they seem to be getting worried!

And that has what to do with them bothering and harrassing potential customers constantly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

MorningStar,

I'd say a PM to Garfield might be one way of making sure that they don't call you again. He seems to be the only person working for Smart that's able to listen. If there is a 'potential customer' list that you're on, he might be able to take your name off it.

Then, if they ever do sort out the number porting issue, I'm sure it'll be big news and whoever wants the service can just call Smart.

Aside - why o why are they wasting fortunes doing national TV ads for a service they can only offer a few places? I just hope they don't burn all their cash too fast since I'm a happy smart BB customer (E55 a month for BB and phonecalls :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Garfields PM inbox is full so no go there.

I'd like to know whne Letterkenny is going to be installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

The Government COMREG or someone needs to act fast.

Eircom started the winback trend of ringing and sending reps to doors to get people to return to eircom for their calls. That has now become a vicious circle with all telephone operators copycatting each other with the resultant annoyance of people. It looks likely that the same will happen with broadband once more and more competition get on their merry way. Phonecalls and door to door calls late at night. Can we the Irish people take any more of this?

Can you go on a list to prevent being contacted about changing broadband company as well as phonecall company

Advertisement