Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Comic Person

Options
  • 18-08-2005 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

I am really interested in getting into comic collecting , reading etc.
    i was wondering if ppl have any tips on how i should go about it^^^..
    i dunno where to get comics..which ones to get , i love peanuts!!

help would be greatly appreciated..

SB

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You can find details on dedicated stores in the Comic Resources sticky, but since you mention Peanuts specifically you might be interested to know that Fantagraphics have started a reprint project to get every single Peanuts strip printed together in one big collection.

What stuff to get is a hard question to pin down - I have to admit that buying comics online is nice as you can get them cheaply, but I really enjoy going into my local store and leafing through things I might otherwise not have thought of and finding something new that I want to read. The "What comic are you reading?" thread is useful for tips about what to buy or avoid, and sites like comicbookresources.com will give you ideas about what's going on in the world of comics....

So hello and welcome :D It's always good to have another convert among us...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

i appreciate the reply fysh!

i was wondering how did you get into comics?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Well, when I was a kid I loved comics - the visual aspect was what I liked most. It was pretty hard to get comics regularly where I grew up though, so by the age of about 15 I stopped reading them for the most part, except for a couple of strips that I really liked (Calvin & Hobbes, Fat Freddy's Cat). Then when I came to Cork to finish off college I discovered a well-stocked comic shop, and following someone's recommendation made a start on Warren Ellis's Transmetropolitan. Once I started with that, I was hooked all over again and this time I doubt I'll stop any time soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

If you have a credit card, you can have a lot of fun getting a ready made collection off of EBay. That way, you can read loads of different types of comics and expose yourself to new things.

Personally, I know what I like in a comic but I always try to buy a few off the wall things every month or so just to see if I can unearth some gems here or there. If you are buying online, mycomicshop.com is sweet. However, if you have a local comic shop around your city, then try to support that!

Advertisement