Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike for cross-training and occasional commuting - hybrid? flat-bar? anything else?

Options
  • 18-08-2005 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Since my ancient MTB died recently, I'm looking for advice on a replacement.

I cycle mostly to cross-train from running (15-25 miles cycling a few times per week), plus some occasional commuting.
    I don't cycle off-road at all, but spend quite a bit of time on back roads where the surface isn't all that even.

I have almost zero experience in this, other than what I've read on the web, but I seem to be leaning towards either a hybrid with some suspension (e.g. Trek 7200 FXS, Claud Butler Urban 300), or a flat bar type like a Lapierre Cruiser or a Claud Butler Chinook.

So, first question - am I looking at the right types of bike? If so, do you think the hybrid or flat-bar is better suited for me?

I'm a bit worried that the flat bar bikes will not be able to handle the back roads, with their 700x25c tires. How much more am I likely to feel the potholes/lumps in the tarmac vs. my old MTB (it had no suspension and 26x1.95 tires)?

Finally, what are prices like in Ireland? Is it like computer parts, where you're almost always better off buying online from the UK (e.g. Evans Cycles), or do some local dealers offer good deals? (If so - any recommendations in Cork/Munster?)

K

Advertisement