Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Stickers...How much for the "Shiny"

• 18-08-2005 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have any memories of collecting soccer stickers. Be it "Premier League" stickers of whatever.

I remember the first time I started was the World Cup '90 collection.

I remember I was about 10 and we were eating dinner and my Dad said that he would buy a magazine/book to the 1st person who finished their dinner. I never eat anything as quick before. And so I told him to get the "World Cup '90" Binder.

When it arrived it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. It had loads of facts etc. Everyweek then you would have to buy the magazine to fill the folder. Each magazine would have about 4 teams and you had to buy stickers to fill in the gaps. By the end of the series I almost finished it. I cant remember but I think I was missing 2 or something.

Everybody where I lived seemed to be collecting it. Everyday at school was like scene out of Only Fools and Horses with everybody trading stickers.

But the biggest thing I remember about the whole "Worls Cup '90" cult was the Diego Maradona sticker. I dont know if they made less of them on purpose or what but he seemed like the hardest to get. At the time he was the biggest name. He was a mythical figure. I remeber it cost me 50 stickers to finally land my Diego Maradona sticker. :)

Anybody else got any memories?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye i had one too from '90 except somebody spilled something all over it so it got ruined. then all the pages start fallin out. cant remember if i finished it, i think i did. they were something like 25p a pack. i remember u used to be able to send away for individual stickers too. probably cost a packet too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

ah classic... anyone remember the World Cup 90 sticker advert with Alex Ferguson and Brian Clough?
    aargh. I used to remember the dialouge to this advert, but its gone!!
    Anyone else remember?
    I loved that ad.
    I think Fergie went "Whats it woorrthh?" and it ended with Cloughie going "World Cup 90.... I'd watch out for it if I were you".
    I still have my World Cup 90 binder in my room :D

There was always one card everyone seems to have zillions of.
    In my school, it was Vasili Rats who played for the USSR.
    It seemed he was in every pack!!
    I remember the day I found the shiny Irish flag!! I was thrilled!!
    I never finished it though... too damn expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I remember i robbed £25 from my mothers purse at one stage. I was so ashamed at the time. £25 was a lot of money back then(i sound like an old man :D )

And even at that I didnt get a "maradona" sticker after robbing form my mother.

Im annoyed that I didnt keep the Binder, i dont know where it went. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Remember the one they brought out before the 94 World Cup with all the highlights from '90?

"Gazza cries" and "Bonner Saves" and "O'Leary Scores"... they were classic.

I never collected for the 94 world cup. I collected Premier league for a while. '93 I think.

I remember looking throught the book and picking out the players with funny haircuts.

1. Peter Reid
    2.That fella from Notts Forrest. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I collected the 94 World Cup offical cards, made by Upper Deck.

Here's one of the fancier cards: http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/8c/4b/cb_1_b.JPG

I only missed 2 cards out of the set, which were really expensive compared to the stickers. I can remember doing every odd job to fund my addicition. It's harder to kick than crack.

2.That fella from Notts Forrest. :D

Ha yeah, Jason Lee:Pineapple Head. I remember one season I needed the "top and bottom half" of Ian Rush to complete the book. The key was not to tell people in the school yard that you needed them to finish the book, otherwise their value would rise dramatically and you would end up losing loads of your swaps (later used to stick on doors or leave lying about the house).

Petty capitalists at age 8 we were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I remember the World Cup 90 stickers, my family had a shop at the time, so I kind of cheated. Used to get boxes and boxes of stickers. It was great, I was king of the playground for a few months!

I finished it obviously and I also made a lot of cash from selling rare stickers. Particularly rare as I remember, where Maradona, Roger Milla, Lineker and I think Careca aswell.

It was a great collection though, remember the old section with classic moments from old tournaments. "Rats beats Bats".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

So Pepe and Figaro are a bit before all your times :(

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

The only collection i ever finished was the 94/95 season of premier league ultimate cards from merlin.There was some deal with shell garages (i think) so i used to make my parents drive outta the way to go to shell.once u had the collection done them nice folks at shell would seen away to get all the shiny crests with the stadiums on the back and ur collection was complete.ryan giggs was my last card to get and i gave away around 400 for him.I still have the whole set in its binder inmy room in mintish condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mexico '86 were my first lot - they were cards, not stickers and you had to tape them in yourself. Still managed to fill the album though - it's up in the attic at my parents as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I had the panini Mexico 86 collection and the orbis Italia 90 collection (it was done magazine style with a red binder which is what I reckon you're refering to? It also had Brian Clough doing adverts for it). I didn't collect any of em after that.

I needed about 40 out of 525 to finish the Italia90 one but I only needed a measly 3 out of 427(?) to finish the Mexico 86. I still have the 90 binder somewhere but the 86 was thrown out. Why do parents do it! :mad:

But to answer your question I think the going rate was 2:1 for either a shiney or a team photo. I did plenty of good deals in my time but the worst thing I ever did was swap Uruguay team photo for ..... Steve Archibald! I don't know what got into me! I didn't even have a clue who Archibald was and was conned into thinking he was the rarest card in the collection so I made the deal. Still at least I only lost a double ... but c'mon serious bad-rep points there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I swapped 150 stickers for a Robert Fleck sticker to go in the 1989/1990 Division One album. He completed my collection and was a very very rare sticker. It was February before I finished the collection having waited for him alone since before Christmas!

The story is made funnier though, by the fact that my best mate had 2 Robert Flecks that day, he got him in both packets he bought right before me, the baxtard.

So I swapped him for one and he went over to his house. He returned ten minutes later devastated, having ripped Robert Fleck while taking the back off!

He never finished it either!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ah memories.......I remember spending far far too much on them the day I made my Communion...opening all the packets was half the fun! :p

I can't remember much, except when you got to a certain point you could send away and have them finish off the remaining slots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i finished(and still have somewhere) the first 4 premier league sticker books. they were so much fun. they got banned from our school yard cause people would have giant handfuls and then the other little fúckheads would come over and smack the load out of their hand and roar "GUSHY!!" and it caused chaos. everyone in the yard would be running over to get free stickers.

I remember the yard in school. Madness. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Had a bit of a syndicate going in 6th class for the 1993 season I think it was... me and two other guys made good money selling the individual stickers, and putting half the profit aside to buy more packets. Until Sir put a stop to it and banned the stickers I'd say I had made £100 myself, and that was a lot in those days. Could get £5 or more for some of the rarer ones... Sticker no.1 and Peter Schmeichel off the top of my head, and my desk was overflowing with stickers. Tried to take the business underground and continue the good work but it didn't work out. It helped that the guy in Spar sometimes let us open the packets before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

nothing gave me more pleasure than having one of the really rare ones as part of my swaps....then peeling it off and sticking it to the bottom of my shoe when someone needed it :)

el rabitos wrote:
    nothing gave me more pleasure than having one of the really rare ones as part of my swaps....then peeling it off and sticking it to the bottom of my shoe when someone needed it :)

Oh, you're so mean! :(

For some reason Number 1 and Number 2 were always very highly valued and sought after.

Must be true what they say about kids and shiny objects so.

Advertisement