Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router no longer being configured from NTL DHCP...

• 18-08-2005 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Problem arose this week WRT to my router...

I have NTL BB, and since Christmas the modem has been connnected to a Linksys Wireless Router via Ethernet, with the main PC connected via ethernet and a number of wireless connections.

Anyway, as per the norm, the Router is assigned its 'outgoing' IP from the DHCP server from NTL (I presume) and also is the DHCP server for the internal network.

Two days ago, everything just stopped, dead. No internet access. My mam rings NTL the next day, and after hours of waiting is told to check the IP address of the computer (I had plugged the comp directly into the modem at this point - NTL dont need to know I've a network none of their business). The comp still had the IP address that it was assigned by the router (192.168.*****) for some reason, rather than the NTL one (82.********). The girl on the phone gets my mam to assign the IP address manually in cmdprompt, everythings hunky dory, and continues to be. This alone makes no sense - the pc's internet connections are set to DHCP anyway.

BUT - I tried to route the modem back via the router. No joy. The router is assigning IP addresses fine (I've checked) and the comp can ping the default gateway no bother. But the modem has not been assigned any outgoing IP address - when i checked the settings it is set to DHCP, but the current IP is 0.0.0.0. I released the IP, and reassigned - no difference.

I'm at a loss - it makes no sense. The only thing I can think of at this stage is that the router has some kind of fault in its connection to the Modem (yet the light at the front is on, indicating a signal), or NTL have found some magical way to detect that I'm using a router (unlikey! :D ) But before I go marching back demanding a replacement router I thought I'd try boards.ie first - after all, it was here I was recommended the thing in the first place, and found out how to make it faster, so can ye come good and make it three outta three?? :(:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

..... the Router is assigned its 'outgoing' IP from the DHCP server from NTL (I presume) and also is the DHCP server for the internal network.

the ntl DHCP assigns the router a public IP
    the router acts as a dhcp server (if it has this feature) & assigns IPs to the home network
    I had plugged the comp directly into the modem at this point - NTL dont need to know I've a network none of their business). The comp still had the IP address that it was assigned by the router (192.168.*****) for some reason, rather than the NTL one (82.********).
    ntl will not be worried if you have a home network - they don't support them anyway
    if the PC had a 192.xx.xx.xx IP then it's set up manually
    The girl on the phone gets my mam to assign the IP address manually in cmdprompt, everythings hunky dory, and continues to be. This alone makes no sense - the pc's internet connections are set to DHCP anyway.
    assign the IP in cmdprompt ??? - I don't think so
    TCP/IP props were probably changed from 'use the following IP' to "automatically assigned by dhcp"
    BUT - I tried to route the modem back via the router. No joy. The router is assigning IP addresses fine (I've checked) and the comp can ping the default gateway no bother. But the modem has not been assigned any outgoing IP address - when i checked the settings it is set to DHCP, but the current IP is 0.0.0.0. I released the IP, and reassigned - no difference.

what is the default gateway on the pc - it should be the router's IP when connected to the router. when directly connected to the modem it will be your IP address but with .254 at the end - eg 82.x.x.254
    I'm at a loss - it makes no sense. The only thing I can think of at this stage is that the router has some kind of fault in its connection to the Modem (yet the light at the front is on, indicating a signal), or NTL have found some magical way to detect that I'm using a router (unlikey! biggrin.gif ) But before I go marching back demanding a replacement router I thought I'd try boards.ie first - after all, it was here I was recommended the thing in the first place, and found out how to make it faster, so can ye come good and make it three outta three?? frown.giffrown.gif

it's possible that the IP lease expired and was not renewed

if you can access the www when connecting directly to the modem then you know the modem / pc are fine. (assuming modem-pc was via ethernet as well?)

did you set up WEP/WPA on the router?
    if not, it's possible that someone accessed the router and messed around with your settings

did you try this procedure (from the updated eek.gif ntlworld site):
    http://www.ntlworld.ie/help_centre/home_networking.asp

this might help - if the modem was connected directly to the pc then it needs to be rebooted before connecting back to a router / other pc

:-)

Advertisement