Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Ideas

Options
  • 18-08-2005 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

What this is all about!

You know what, this is a forum where the people of Limerick come together, lets take full advantage of that!

I've been throwing around this idea for a while now... but if we merge ideas and discuss things and issues to forward to our city council, they may take some note and actually get some things done!

We have a real chance to discuss issues and argue out different topics and things ... and bring these to city hall!

We talk in many different threads and say what should be done, but now we can actually do something about it... why not use this as a place to discuss things that involve the council and propose it to city hall!!!

The idea

So over the next few weeks, people say what they think needs to be done (for many different reasons) then others say if the agree or dissagree and say how it would be a waste of money/ have nothing to do with the council or have a negitive impact (that sort of thing)! (keeping in mind the council has very little money)

As we go, I (or whoever) will list out the topics that have been discussed and give a list of what people think would be benefincary or not... and other things which we feel have not been fully disscussed!

Then, I (or someone) goes to city hall, and hands in the list of suggustions, tries to get a meeting etc.

And all in this thread!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

good luck with that, unfortunately, all the real decisions are down to the unelected City Manager, and he isnt known for listening to valid ideas. he is just waiting for his promotion to the cork city managers job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Cork, then Dublin, then the world (queue evil laugh)! But hopefully we'll get something to happen!

I think we need a Halloween fest!!! Limerick could be like Irelands holiday capital (pats day, christmas, and halloween)!
    Except more of an interactive festival than a "u sit here and enjoy" type thing that we have at all other fests (excluding the ice rink for christmas)!
    Limerick could become know as Irelands holiday capital!

I was in chicago and chicagoween was soo great, the river was dyed orange and there where many houses of horror!
    Also i think if theyre was a controlled 'egging' set up, where u paid to egg (whoever), and that would mean the council could buy up many eggs!

Also, In Spain i noticed on many main streets they had dual lighting! The usual one for the road which hangs out over and a lower one for pedistrains, i'm sure many people would feel safer if it was brighter! Also they look great!

And i think that a funfair would be good for limerick, one permanent one in the city centre!

all due respect, but they can't even agree on a few christmas lights so it doesnt auger well when it comes to organising a whole festival.

Well, festivals are going on the whole time, Spring Fest, Christmas on Ice, Riverfest and others throughout the year are on every year! And that articale is in reference to Limerick County Council, not the city!

Bleh... at least the county council isnt 18 million in debt. :p

seriously though, the best time to get local politicians to listen to you is at local election time. although a sort of Q&A session with local politicians on the forum is an idea I have been thinking about. Just have to figure out a way to work it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

A proper music venue in Limerick would be welcome. At the moment we have the concert hall and the Millenium theatre for plays and concerts, but nothing suitable for big gigs. Dolans is the biggest place in Limerick for indoor bands with dancing etc., but the warehouse is too small for even some of the bands it books. If we had a better indoor venue Limerick could attract more and better bands.

We also need a decent outdoor music venue. I'm not saying anything along the lines of Lansdowne road, but if someone like the Frames or Paddy Casey were to come to Limerick, they wouldn't have anywhere big enough to hold them. This could tie in with the whole festival thing, with some organised music going on in a large venue.

A couple of years ago for Riverfest, the Frames played in the courtyard in King John's Castle. Did anybody go and see them? And why hasn't the castle been used in the same way since. I thought it was a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

There's talks of a new 8,000 seater auditorium for the city. Just talks though

Well some of those topics are out of the councils hands... but i really think they should go into talk with the GAA to open up the gaelic grounds... thats a superb location for concerts 50,000 can go! Also for munster rugby, hell its bigger than lansdowne road!
    I dont think the city has the drawing power, the population or the money to build a large centre just for gigs like the point or anything!
    I feel the council really should go out there and get these places they always feel that they must stick to they're own ground... if only they worked harder to use whats already here!

There's talks of a new 8,000 seater auditorium for the city. Just talks though

where is this said to be located?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I dont think the city has the drawing power, the population or the money to build a large centre just for gigs like the point or anything!

It wouldn't necessarily have to be just for gigs - it could host expositions and conferences too, like the Modern Home Show that came to the UL Arena a few months ago. I don't know who would finance it, or whether they could get it to make money

• Advertisement

No, that sounds like its out of councils hands... a conference centre would usually be run by a hotel!

Seriously though... we need to tell the city council what we want! Be heard! Ye guys are always saying all these ideas, put them here, we can presnt this to the guys at city hall!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

Well some of those topics are out of the councils hands... but i really think they should go into talk with the GAA to open up the gaelic grounds... thats a superb location for concerts 50,000 can go! Also for munster rugby, hell its bigger than lansdowne road!

This is also out of the councils hands. The Limerick County board cannot open up Páirc na Gael, because of Rule 42 (even the amended version) does not allow it. Rugby or soccer cannot be played in GAA stadia.

I am in favour of Páirc na Gael being opened, although i think proffesionalism has ruined rugby

But what I'm saying is go into talks with the GAA, with Rugby board!

The GAA Central Council took about 3 years to bow to public opinion of Ireland, they are not gonna bend over for Limerick Corporation

It would be good if the main way into Limerick (from Shannon Airport) was ... heading in along that dual carrage way, when u get to that the roundabout head right instead of straight (as in head for the new bridge), make that road a dual carraige way (its wide enough).. then not only do they come through and see the cities best few (as in steamboat quay and RiverPoint development, and would they be at a great point to access the cities traffic (they would be coming onto the top of Henry Street), but it would clear up the Ennis Road (that new dunnes hasnt helped the traffice over there)
    What do you think?
    Personally I love the way you appoach the city and its the bird sancturary and then BANG the city!

make that road a dual carraige way (its wide enough)..

While I agree with you that the view of the skyline coming over the new bridge is striking, especially in contrast to the bird sanctuary on the Northside, I'm not sure if you could make the Condell Road into a dual carriageway without loosing the hard shoulder. Then, if you did want to turn it into a dual carriageway you probably would have to widen it, and this might be difficult because it would expand into that bird sanctuary - also it would involve messing around with those flood levees, and after New Orleans' recent experience, I'm not sure that that's such a good idea.

The plan is to eventually have a dual carriageway going from Coonagh to Mungret via the fourth river crossing, the tunnel, so I don't see the sense in building two dual carriagways so close together.

Well one goes into the city... the other avoids it!!!!
    Urban roads on the whole dont have hard shoulders, but if there was a big deal about that... there still is plenty of space between the footpaths and the road!

Well one goes into the city... the other avoids it!!!!

Point taken.

To be honest with you, I just like opposing some ideas for the sake of arguing sometimes.

Building dual carriageways for the purpose of aestheticism is just plain silly. Its grand as it is. They've actually done a nice job with that round about anyways with the harp on it, so its not that bad.

Anyway, after the balls the designers made of the N24 - New Ring Road junction, i wouldn't trust the Council with any more dual carriageways for a while.

• Advertisement

Thats temporary!
    But the Ennis road cant handle the traffic. Plus it looks spectacular and also makes more sense traffic wise for inbound traffic to direct them to the top of Henry Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

I'm sure a lot of people would take offence to you saying that the Ennis Road, as it always has been, passing the Davin and the Gaelic Grounds and Limerick Lawn Tennis Club and continuing in past those gorgeous red brick houses, is not as aesthetically pleasing as driving past some marshland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭MikeTyson

they should do up the new vic better and it should open till atleast 11 oclock at nite. theres not enough for teenagers to do in town. the new vic is good the way it is but it should open later plus get new games and proper que sticks

What time does it actually close at???
    It would be great if there was a proper bowling alley in Limerick City or Raheen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭MikeTyson

it closes at about 9 it 2 early.

Hmm, yeah! ... Actually i never find myself in the city that late anyway!

Advertisement