Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers v CELTIC

• 18-08-2005 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

This Saturday 12.30 @ Ibrox live on Setanta,im pretty confident the Bhoys will get a result,hail hail......... :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

I wish they could both lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm looking forward to Hearts finnishing second this year!

The Old Firm competition is like two bald men fighting over a comb.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

jubbly wrote:
    I wish they could both lose

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I fancy Rangers. Celtic looked poor last week and the crowd seemed to be getting on their backs.

Rangers are on a massive high after the Euro result and I think they will do it.

Come on Rangers!!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Rangers lost to Aberdeen 3-2. Celtic may have ****ed up badly against Artmedia but Rangers are ropey at the back and could only manage an undeserved win against Inverness thru a penalty. They have problems as do Celtic and will be missing Ricksen so Celtic could pull a massive 3 points from ibpox. HAIL HAIL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

They are nearly always good games.

Pity they play it at an hour when most people are getting up out of bed. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Really looking forward to it. Might head down to the Sidewalk to watch the match and listen to Charlie and the Bhoys after it.
    I fancy Rangers. Celtic looked poor last week and the crowd seemed to be getting on their backs.

Rangers are on a massive high after the Euro result and I think they will do it.

Come on Rangers!!!!
    I'd say Rangers are playing worse than Celtic atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

C'mon the draw
    Hearts for the SPL!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I'll be watching this down in Quinns, plenty of rebel songs being sung by the underage section at the back. Possibly the best place to watch Celtic games in Dublin when there is a good crowd but the 12:30 kick offs make things a bit dead.

Should be a good game though, cant wait to get a look at Nakamura in a full game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

What station is this on? Setanta?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,317 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I reckon this will be a score draw. Hopefully Strachan will take Lennon to the away fans :)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

come on the gers easy win on the cards a poor celtic side and a very poor manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

sold me ticket for this at face value , its been a while since i missed a old firm game but just havent got the get up and go with this game as i normally have

Draupnir wrote:
    I'll be watching this down in Quinns, plenty of rebel songs being sung by the underage section at the back. Possibly the best place to watch Celtic games in Dublin when there is a good crowd but the 12:30 kick offs make things a bit dead.
    Nah, you can't beat the Sidewalk for atmosphere. :)
    http://www.charlieandthebhoys.co.uk/hunsgameDUBLIN.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Celtic FC sent me an email last week.

Hospitality package
    Broomloan Road (Celtic end) seat and drinks for £125

Gone are the days when the touts charged 200+ for an OF game.

PS
    They kick off early ever since the 'Shame Game' in 1999
    match was played on a bank holiday sunday night.
    fans were well oiled.
    pitch invasions.
    Rangers won league at Celtic Park
    much trouble.

Strathclyde police rule ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

i reckon it will be 2 - 0 to the currant buns. celtic have some lovely attacking players but the defence is a shambles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

eirebhoy wrote:
    Nah, you can't beat the Sidewalk for atmosphere. :)
    http://www.charlieandthebhoys.co.uk/hunsgameDUBLIN.JPG

ya know, I might just see you there! looks good. havent been to the sidewalk in years either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Pal wrote:
    Celtic FC sent me an email last week.

Hospitality package
    Broomloan Road (Celtic end) seat and drinks for £125

Gone are the days when the touts charged 200+ for an OF game.

PS
    They kick off early ever since the 'Shame Game' in 1999
    match was played on a bank holiday sunday night.
    fans were well oiled.
    pitch invasions.
    Rangers won league at Celtic Park
    much trouble.

Strathclyde police rule ever since.

I got one of those emails too, do ya think they are good value for money?

Shame Game, dont bring that up. Hugh Dallas, i think, refereed that game. His house got coined afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Dempsey wrote:
    His house got coined afterwards.
    As was his head during the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Rangers 2 - 0 Celtic

Prso, Buffel. Thompson s/o 23

Is that it for Strachen or will the board shrug thier shoulders and reason that they might as well keep him as look for someone new, bearing in mind it'll be hard to find a top-level coach for such a club at the moment.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Who better than strachan can they get? give the man a chance hes a very good manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Its not Strachan's fault that he has no money. He couldn't keep Bellamy or give new contracts to players like McNamara.

He's had to replace average players with poor ones, thanks to a lack of funds.

On the radio this morning they were talking to someone about Celtic, they were discussing Celtics poor financial situation and how to go about sorting it all out, they mentioned issusing new shares or something like that and then went on about re positioning celtic in another league.

I thought the meant the English Primership or the english championship perhaps, they were talking about a European league in the long term though. I thought the European league idea was dead as a do do. Personally I wouldnt be in favour of a European league, even if Ireland had 2-3 places.

Was'nt there a mad idea about an Atlantic League with teams from Ireland,Wales, Scotland, Norway etc?

Mike.

I dont think those kind of ideas are good IMO. I think its bad for the rest of the league and only beneifts one or two clubs. Althought I would be in favour of having a bigger Setanta cup with 3 or 4 teams entering the competition from the EL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

jubbly wrote:
    I dont think those kind of ideas are good IMO. I think its bad for the rest of the league and only beneifts one or two clubs. Althought I would be in favour of having a bigger Setanta cup with 3 or 4 teams entering the competition from the EL.

Next year its 4 teams from both leagues , Bet when Shels win the league cup they get one spot even tho its unfair as all the other teams fielded crap teams as it was a crappy cup from the start.

Yarr!!

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Next year its 4 teams from both leagues , Bet when Shels win the league cup they get one spot even tho its unfair as all the other teams fielded crap teams as it was a crappy cup from the start.

This is the same cup Pats won in 2001 and 2003?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Is Aliadiere doing a good job of keeping the Celtic bench warm? Must be getting cold up there.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    This is the same cup Pats won in 2001 and 2003?

Yup with youths and U21s in their side , not fielding a full team cos they knew the League and Ollies mates would give them the extar Setanta cup spot without telling all the other teams.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I always look forward to seeing the Auld Firm game, and thanks in recent years to TG4 and now Setanta I have seen quite a few of the matches. Its true that there are many aspects to these "derby" matches that could be considered as unsavory, or indeed tribal but they make for great spectacles and there was another fest yesterday.

Strachan got yet another baptism of fire. It was interesting to hear his interview on BBC on Football Focus where he readily admitted that his years at Coventry and Southampton had been perfect for optimising defensive tactics and hitting teams on the break. So, going out and having to win games is altogether new challenge for him.

I thought that Celtic was unfortunate yesterday with the ref. I think that for these big games in Scotland, perhaps they should hire in an impartial international ref. Because getting a truly impartial ref in Scotland is nigh on impossible. That may be the reason or maybe not, but Thompson's sending off was way too much. True, it was a foul, a bad foul, but not worthy of s straight red, worthy of a yellow. The ref continued to be pedantic for the rest of the match, flashing yellow's for tackles that in other games would not receive anything.

After the sending off, Celtic, who up to that point had probably seen the better of the play, should have scored from Balde who missed an unchallenged header from 7 yards out. Rangers were creating little, yet Prso scored later in the 1st half from a crisp move and from that point on Celtic were struggling. The possible 2nd goal came in the 2nd half. Celtic tried but created very little real chances. They got a penalty, probably deserved, but then a minute later gave one away, seemingly to me a bit less deserved. 2-0 or 3-1, either way, Celtic lost this match more to do with the sending off than anything else.

Strachan needs to learn from this and other matches his old skills at Southampton and Coventry. That is, that defence is needed at Celtic too, and midfield players need to get involved. Best for Celtic was Petrov, and Beattie had a good game too. Balde was outstanding in defence at times.

I've mentioned in other threads how Scotland is the benchmark for the LOI, and this spectacle is clearly something that could be reached in time.

redspider

KdjaC wrote:
    Yup with youths and U21s in their side , not fielding a full team cos they knew the League and Ollies mates would give them the extar Setanta cup spot without telling all the other teams.

You played a full strength team against us in it this season.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    You played a full strength team against us in it this season.

U21s played same night , our squad isnt that big :)

kdjac

• Advertisement

redspider wrote:
    I thought that Celtic was unfortunate yesterday with the ref.
    A few of the Scottish papers mentioned that this was the referee's 9th Old Firm game with Rangers yet to win 1 so I was a bit worried about being thought of as biased towards Celtic.

I can't stand the Setanta commentators. Prso did very little to win the penalty yet the commentator burst out with a cheer of "Super, Super, Super play by Prso".

The Thompson sending off changed and ruined the game for me. Similar with Jenas last week for Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

No excuses we deserved to lose but the referee was nothing short of a disgrace,there is no way Alan Thompson desrved to get sent off and it was a terrible decision and that was the turning poing,the huns took controil then and won,up to the sending off Celtic were the better side,WTF was Neil Lennon doing at the end,i can understand emotions were running high but FFS going at the referee like that will only get him a suspension and or fine..a dreadful day at the office :confused:

jonny68 wrote:
    the huns took controil then and won,

Can anyone please tell me where this "huns" word comes from?

Celtics fans discuss the hun er........ :eek:

I presume its just something to do with Protestantism which started in Germany of course with Martin Luther and his 95 Theses.

Mike.

Were the Huns not a group of atheist Asian nomads from like 1500 years ago?

Fruitful link btw! ;)

• Advertisement

Thats right after they'd trashed western Asia and eastern Europe they settled down in whats now Germany actually thats a complete lie! The word Hun was applied by British soldiers to Germans simply as an insult during WW1 and it stuck.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Celtics fans discuss the hun er........ :eek:

I presume its just something to do with Protestantism which started in Germany of course with Martin Luther and his 95 Theses.

Mike.

A site that has a random letter generator. Very little discussion going on there!

As far as I am aware, hun does not refer to protestantism. It is slang term that was used in WWI and WWII to refer to the Germans. Their warlike stance was the cause, hence it stuck as a reference to Rangers.

British Soldiers to Germans.
    Celtic fans to Rangers.

I'm even more confused now.

Advertisement