Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FUJITSU SIEMENS M1425-71507 Advice

• 18-08-2005 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Have seen this laptop on sale in a local multimedia outlet, thinking of buying it as it sounds like excellent value.

Intel centrino

Memory 512 Mo

€999

I'm not familiar with siemens models. Any advice on purchasing this laptop? Good deal/bad deal? Problems with fujitsu siemens models?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

More info needed. Try give ful spec or a link. Seems ok though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

It looks like a Pentium M 1.6 with 128mb 9700 ATI graphics and 60 or 80 gb HD. for €999 thats good value, where is it available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

that is very good value, where is it on sale ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Ah bollocks, I'm raging here! :mad: I paid €899 this day last week for an Acer with a 1.5GHz Celeron M and 64MB "shared" graphics. And now you tell me I could have gotten a Pentium M with 128MB 9700 graphics for an extra hundred quid somewhere. Just my bloody luck, eh? :(

Where exactly is this on sale, esperanza?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

It's on sale in France! But don't be too disappointed if you can't buy it because I've heard that there have been problems with batteries in Fujitsu Siemens laptops. Not sure how true this is though, but there has to be some reason why it's so cheap, or am I just being cynical?

By the way, anything with Intel celeron is now passé, isn't it? This is why I'm looking to upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Celeron is OK in a basic starter machine especially for standard business activities. Have not heard about battery problems with Fujitsu. Spec seems good for the price and if you have the cash to upgrade go for it.

I did some Googling earlier on that particular model and all the sites that seemed to mention that model were all French so I then assumed it was only available or on offer in France, even before you got back to us with the answer, esperanza. Looks like it wouldn't have made much of a difference to me anyway then at that rate. :D

As for the laptop itself, go for it! I haven't heard any battery problems with Fujitsu Siemens laptops either and I know a few people who have them and swear by them. I was actually going to buy one myself until the Acer popped up. Personally, I'm a big fan of Fujitsu Siemens stuff myself. I'm on my second FS desktop PC and it's served me extremely well, as did my first one. I've no hesitation recommending them to anyone and, like I said, I know several people who have both their laptops and desktops and feel the same. Admitedly, they're not always the cheapest but they are damn good machines in my experience.

If only I had been France this day last week! :(;):D

esperanza wrote:
    By the way, anything with Intel celeron is now passé, isn't it?

Not in the case of laptops, anyway. The Celeron M is an okay enough processor. If all you're looking to do is run office apps, surf the net/e-mail, watch/burn DVD's, listen/rip music, that kind of thing, the current crop of Celeron M's are fine. If you want better battery life, naturally enough you'd be better off going for a Centrino. If you want something that will act as a desktop replacement and for playing games and the like and also have reasonable battery life, then the Pentium M would be the way to go.

I was really tempted, for example, by the laptop that was on sale in Lidl last week. Really high spec machine. But then common sense kicked in and I decided I couldn't really justify the cost of it, considering all I'd be doing would be basic office stuff, watching DVD's the odd time and listening to/ripping music. I wouldn't even be using it for games, which probably would have been one of the Lidl machine's main selling points, the fact it had a really good graphics card and loads of RAM and could have run all the latest games. So, I went for the Acer instead at €899 and it does everything I could ask of it perfectly. Battery life isn't spectacular, 2 - 2 1/2 hours tops, but I won't be using it off the battery all that often anyway, so it's fine.

Still though, I would have snapped up that Fujitsu Siemens machine if I'd had the chance last week! :D

Advertisement