Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long have you been vegan/vegetarian

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

from the day i was born..29 now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Blub2k4 wrote:

<edit> I'm not vegetarian at all but do make sure that my meat is ethical and sourcable, organic small farms rock.
    i'm still trying to find a place where animals are treated well until they die of natural causes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

i'm still trying to find a place where animals are treated well until they die of natural causes :p

Dublin Zoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

Since I was 12, i am 29 now, so thats 17 years. Do I get the prize? ;)

My favourite veggie memory is my dad saying 'if you are going to stick with this vegetarian lark you need to go to the doctor and get some meat replacment tablets'.

I always felt like going and asking for them for the craic...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Since I was 12, i am 29 now, so thats 17 years. Do I get the prize? ;)
    Washout :from the day i was born..29 now :p

Dublin Zoo?
    you call that treated well :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

Washout :from the day i was born..29 now :pQUOTE]

Yeah but your cheating, your folks where veggies ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Well in my house my pets are well kept, but I wont eat rats even if I do know where they come from and they are ethically kept :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 lor_25

Been a veggie for nearly twenty year's now, it's just become second nature to me, the thought of eating anything that used to walk or swin around now would turn my stomach....
    Think I stopped eating meet completely when I was about five and Mum wouldn't lie to me any more about where it was coming from! Stopped eating fish a few years ltr...
    Tried the vegan bit for about a year in my teen's but its just so restrictive....it was back then anyway when I was down home and reliant on my parents for food... might try and give it another shot again soon!!!

Agree with Kestrel..... tofu is delich, real tasty when its spiced up (">)

Lor

Washout :from the day i was born..29 now :pQUOTE]

Yeah but your cheating, your folks where veggies ;)
    hey,not me...twas washout!my folks are by no means vegetarian...just most of their children.

Well in my house my pets are well kept, but I wont eat rats even if I do know where they come from and they are ethically kept :P

well i have liked every meat i have ever tasted so hmm i may call round forsome rat sometime ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

4 weeks. Just seeing could I challenge myself to do it. Nothing to do with cute cuddly animals or anything like that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

i know,tbh i am like 'wtf are you an idiot' at this point..
    at least my friends don't think that and quite like you put those ppl who do in the auld "vegetarians". 'you're not one of those "vegetarians" that eats meat i believe they asked me.up till the last two weeks nobody i know knew i was a vegetarian but living with them has brought it out so that is why i get the questions.
    Tar, consider yourself warned for this post. Some people consider themselves vegetarian and eat fish.

The lines are blurry here to some people and well defined for others. No calling someone an idiot because they hold a different view to yours.

Shabadu wrote:
    Tar, consider yourself warned for this post. Some people consider themselves vegetarian and eat fish.The lines are blurry here to some people and well defined for others. No calling someone an idiot because they hold a different view to yours.

If you consider yourself something it doesn't make it true, I could consider myself king of England and it wouldn't be so.I don't mind what people consider themselves to be,the people i was referring to are the people that constantly ask me do i eat fish and those that serve me it...not the people whom call themselves vegetarian and eat fish.
    If somebody eats fish and not meat,fair enough, I'm not one to call them an idiot.

Cathy wrote:
    It's amazing how many people think vegetarians can eat fish, actually. Including a couple of 'vegetarians' I know...

I agree with this tbh, eating fish breaks the definition of vegetarianism but people can call themselves whatever they want, it doesn't affect me.I wasn't calling the latter people in the quote idiots but the former just annoy me sometimes,not because of what they believe but because of all the times i am served fish when i eat at a friends house etc. Last week in the house i ate at,she knew i didn't eat fish or meat so she served me prawns 'they are different!''.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Paul- What I was saying is that some non-vegetarians assume all vegetarians eat fish. Someone who held that opinion might have read your post, and decided not to post looking for information, or to join the discussion. If you have an issue with what I say, take it to pms or irc. Do not continue discussing this on this thread. It is not fair to call someone an idiot because they simply never realised that most veggies don't eat fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭FakePlasticMan

Hey peeps,

Just wanted to say Hi and add my tuppence worth. Actually hadn't noticed there was a Veggie Forum on Boards..is great!!

And the last couple of posts are kinda relevant to me in the last few months. I changed to a veggie diet just over a year ago..mostly like one of the posters..to see if I could do it..for a few weeks initially..and also because I'd always wanted to do it but never thought I'd be able to eat decently without meat. Well..a year later I do ..and consider that I eat even better and more interestingly. Now the thing is that after a holiday in Spain a few months back I started eating fish again. Not that regularly..about once a week max...mainly cos the place we stayed in over there had very little in the way of decent veggie food...I would have had to live on pizzas or really boring pasta dishes for the whole two weeks. So I started eating fish and have continued to since. Now I would agree that if you eat fish..you cant be a vegetarian...so I don;t call myself one ...even tho at heart I am and I know that I will stop eating fish again...one reason why I'm glad I found this forum..I don;t have any pals that are vegetarian or family members..and sometimes I just get lazy and fish is an easy way out..plus I like the taste..!!

But I also think that if someone gives up eating red meat and chicken etc that's a positive...even if they do still eat fish..whether or not they are vegetarian is a mute issue really...and funnily enough..it's usually meat eaters who are the first to shout with glee if you do say you eat fish..in my experience anyway.

I do love to cook and love all kinds of vegetables..so am lucky that way. I recently started using Tofu and I actually like it..but would love to pick up more ideas for flavouring etc. Dunnes sell a big block at the moment for anyone looking for somewhere handy to pick some up...that's where I got mine.

Anyway..sorry for the rambling introduction

thanks for your time...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I don't consider myself a Vegetarian. I'm just off meat at the moment. The moment could last a few more days or a few more years.

Anyway..sorry for the rambling introduction

thanks for your time...
    Ramble all you want,welcome aboard :)
    I don't consider myself a Vegetarian. I'm just off meat at the moment. The moment could last a few more days or a few more years.
    I know the type of thing you are doing.I gave up salt, crisps, sugar etc for life.No reason, just for a challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭FakePlasticMan

Thanks Tar... nice to be aboard... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

I've been Veggie for 14 years ... thinking of taking up eating meat again at some point in the future though

~L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭miss serena

LDB wrote:
    I've been Veggie for 14 years ... thinking of taking up eating meat again at some point in the future though

~L

Ooh, that would be tough! Psychologically like. I was considering giving up a few years ago because I was really run down (might have had something to do with a really bad diet!), but then my mate got food poisoning from a chicken burger. That set me straight!

Actually ya, pychologically, I don't think i could go back.Meat was my favourite food but my mind has made it so that I would feel sick trying to eat it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

yeah I wonder how my body would take to it ... has anyone done this (gone back to eating meat after so long) and did it have any adverse effect? (or positive of course!)

~L

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

Just in case anybody's interested, the term for people who eat fish, but are otherwise vegetarian, is 'pescetarian'.
    Actually ya, pychologically, I don't think i could go back.Meat was my favourite food but my mind has made it so that I would feel sick trying to eat it.

I know what you mean. I tried Quorn the other day and it felt bizarre eating it. It tasted just like chicken. It was lovely, but I felt a bit sick after.

Cathy wrote:
    I know what you mean. I tried Quorn the other day and it felt bizarre eating it. It tasted just like chicken. It was lovely, but I felt a bit sick after.
    Ye i do love quorn and it does taste like meat but it doesn't affect me like you because i know all it is is mycroptein and onion etc.
    On the other hand if I was to eat meat the story would be different because of my mind dictating my body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

Hmmm... That's weird, feeling bad about fake meat, but I gues I kind of understand it. My Ex wouldn't go near fake meat, but then a couple o weeks later started on the real stuff. I cant see why anyone would plan to return to meat eating from vegetarianism. If it's for health reasons... well that's just ridiculus, we all know by know that you can be a healthy vegetarian. Otherwise... do people re-think their values, decide animals don't have a right to life any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭EvilPixieOne

Or else you just stop caring maybe. I hate the taste of quorn though. I don't see why anyone would give up meat and then eat stuff that tastes just like it, it's just the idea I suppose

I don't see why anyone would give up meat and then eat stuff that tastes just like it
    It's for people like me that like meat and not much else.I hate most foods but absolutely adored meat.Quorn keeps me nice and sane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 SHAKESPEARE_SIS

LDB wrote:
    yeah I wonder how my body would take to it ... has anyone done this (gone back to eating meat after so long) and did it have any adverse effect? (or positive of course!)

~L

Gave up meat 15 or 16 years ago - i seem to remember someone telling me at the time that after a while your body loses resistence to antibodies in meat or some such ... and that it would be dangerous to go back to eating it... could be a load of bs though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Gave up meat 15 or 16 years ago - i seem to remember someone telling me at the time that after a while your body loses resistence to antibodies in meat or some such ... and that it would be dangerous to go back to eating it... could be a load of bs though!!!

That sounds like total bull**** TBH :rolleyes:
    I'm sure they meant - "you'll need to get your antibiotics somewhere else now" :o

Peanut wrote:
    That sounds like total bull**** TBH
    Your Bs detector hasn't gone wrong. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement