Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film: The Goblet of Fire

• 19-08-2005 1:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭

As the days pass until my favourite Harry Potter book makes its debut on the whitish/silvery screen I can't help but think....will it suck?

Will Mr. Radcliffe have gained some new found acting skills?

Will Rupert Grint learn some new facial expressions?

Will Emma Watson ever return my phone calls?

Though saying this, I couldn't help but like the first three. Despite the cringe factor, I just kept looking. Rather like animals having sex.

Anyway, perhaps here you can post your hopes/dreams for the film as well as any gossip/news you have on it.

Golly good what?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

To be honest, I quite like the movies. They could never live up to the books but they did a fine job in bringing Hogwards, Diagon Alley, The Hogwarts Express et al to life...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I cant handle watching the guy who plays Dumbledore. Richard Harris was perfect and the Gambon just isnt. He doesnt look powerful or at all intimidating in anything he does.

Hate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I agree. I wish they had Sir Ian McKellen. He'd be much better than Gambon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

oooh, I just watched TPOA last night, and I squirmed at how bad a film it is. Sirius Black has to be one of my favourite characters, and I like Gary Oldman, but my God, he just hammed it up! But then again, I suppose that they are kids movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i actually liked having chris columbus in the directing chair of the films, while the first would understandably have difficulties (mostly young cast, difficult world to create) he really got the second quite well. The balance between having the central plot but also developing all the subplots (school life) was quite close.

I was p*ssed then when they brought a new director on for the third film as it destroyed alot of the visual continuity from the first two films to the third. It also didnt tell the story aswell, there were huge (and important) plot elements left out and the whole film felt rushed.

And now they have brought in another director for the fourth film...my biggest worry instilled in me from the third is that they had such difficulty adapting the 360 or so paged third book how will they bring across the fourth book as clearly.

How much will be cut out?

Will we loose Rita Skeeter?

OR Fred and George's blackmailing

or even worse large parts of the world cup?

i am curious how they will do the world cup. I found the fact that when they made that quidditch wold cup computer game they cut out Ireland (grrr) and put in america instead, will the same happen in the film? or am i just being paranoid...

ooo just checked it on imdb...http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0330373/

brenden gleeson is moody...COOL!

though i thought Rene Aubourjones would have been better.

• Advertisement

The Dursleys were cut from the film due to time constraints, as was Molly Weasly.

ahhh crap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Will we loose Rita Skeeter?
    They've signed up Miranda Richardson. I've seen pictures of her with glasses and pointy-nose looks so they've either shot her scenes or done some publicity shots. It's out in November so I assume the whole thing has wrapped at this stage.
    though i thought Rene Aubourjones would have been better.
    Can't have Clayton Endicott for everything that requires a slightly gruff role unfortunately. Boston Legal's probably taking up quite a bit of his time lately.

I gather Jarvis Cocker's in it. Help the mother****ing aged, as Ali G would say.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Anyone else think Fleur Delacour isn't half as amazingly beautiful in the film as she's supposed to be? She's the one on the left (obviously)
    harry-potter-and-the-goblet-of-fire-20050330083042892-000.jpg

Oh, and I think the guy who plays Professor Lupin in POA is completely wrong! He looks nothing like he's described in the book. And why could the Dementors fly?
    (I'm aware this thread is meant to be about GOB, I apologise)
    I think they probably will have to cut huge chunks out of the book to fit it into normal film-length running time, hopefully it won't affect it too much. However they've cut so much out for the other films, I'm not too hopeful

fleur is meant to be older then harry and the others (the tournament was meant for studants over the age of 17) and she gets engaged two books later so yes i feel that fleur is not as amazing as she should be.

• Advertisement

Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort? I think he can pull it off.

http://www.veritaserum.com/galleries/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=40&pos=-6243

It seems Ireland does win. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

I was really worried... Although, IMHO, anybody could do a better job than Chris Columbus. I'm sorry - I can't help it... i cringed THE WHOLE WAY through the first two. The hug at the end of COS? Almost killed me. Ok, PoA wasn't that great either, but I prefer Alfonso Cuaran as a director.

However, on the up-side, Mike Newell seems to be doing an AMAZING job. Ok, it isn't perfect, and it never was going to be... the world cup is rushed, SPEW is cut, probably the blackmail is gone (sorry blitzkreig!) but what they have in (including an excellent Rita and Moody) does look pretty good.

Don't hold me to this though. I may be ridiculously wrong. GoF is my favourite book of them all, so they'd better do a good job.

And funkypenguin - I know exactly what you mean! When will Daniel Radcliffe learn to act?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Caoimhe89 wrote:
    And funkypenguin - I know exactly what you mean! When will Daniel Radcliffe learn to act?

I think you're being a bit hard on him, the early harry is a very difficult character to play, I think he's done quite a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

He's just an actor that annoys my every time I see him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Caoimhe89 wrote:
    He's just an actor that annoys my every time I see him...

It's his inability to deliver a line without having to fight back a smile that p!sses me off

I think thats just a bad shot of Fleur because shes meant to be crapping it, she is after all about to step out to a big huge fire breathing dragon.

There is a great trailer for the movie, 2 minutes long and very big, over at Mugglenet, and she looks very hot in one of the scenes in that. With a very generous set of chesticles for a girl of 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

i'd hit it:

clemence.jpg

give emma watson another 2 years though.... rawr

I know it's wrong for a man of 25 to say it but you're right there sionnach, she'll be gorgeous in a few years!

spot on, Id hit it twice.

Hit it twice? I wouldn't stop hitting it :D

• Advertisement

Ah I'd fall asleep after two, its my speciality and my trademark.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭butters scotch

it hurts me too say but i feel that brendan gleeson is not the right person to play moody i dunno why but i just can't picture it. i'm not a fan of daniel radcliffe and he just needs a new haircut in the new movie tbh. but i'm looking forward to the new movie it looks promising :)

In case anyone hasn't seen this, the trailer is up on http://harrypotter.warnerbros.co.uk/gobletoffire/

it hurts me too say but i feel that brendan gleeson is not the right person to play moody i dunno why but i just can't picture it.
    Really? I'd actually pictured Moody as a sort of long haired, bedraggled version of Gleeson when I was reading the book!

I think Miranda Richardson is the best bit of casting for this film. I imagined her while reading about Skeeter.

Breandon Gleeson for teh win!

Sleepy wrote:
    Really? I'd actually pictured Moody as a sort of long haired, bedraggled version of Gleeson when I was reading the book!

I think Gleeson will be great in the part, but I'm not so sure about the "glass" eye!!

moody.jpg

I always thought Moody to be slightly skinnier than Gleeson. I dunno why, I think he always seem flighty and agile to me, in spite of the leg.

Check out this website for loads of images from HP & tGoF
    http://www.hpana.com/forums/topic_view.cfm?tid=32633

and

http://hpanaimages.com/

• Advertisement

Check out Voldy

Voldemort.jpg

I haven't deleted the picture, but it turns out that it's a fake!

Here's Voldy's wand instead

VoldemortWand.jpg

Advertisement