Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Volume Licensing, XP, Office, and a small business

• 19-08-2005 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I'm setting up a proper networking/IT environment for a small business. At the moment they're running a mish-mash of systems from 98 to XP Home, with little or no networking.
    So I want to get them upgraded, but they want to keep their costs down (of course). Software licensing seems to be the most expensive issue.
    At the moment they have four users (with a machine each), but they're likely to expand by a couple of users in the short-term. I want to run XP Pro and Office 2003 Standard across the board.

Would they/we be better off buying a volume license from MS for XP and Office, instead of buying an OEM or FPP, or does this work out generally more expensive when dealing on such a small scale? I can find plenty of info about different types of licences, but no actual costs.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

Company im working for uses this site for IT products, they have prices for 1-3 licences of xp pro

http://www.pcsource.ie/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1060146
    €177 incl vat for single oem license

and

http://www.pcsource.ie/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1060145
    and €476 incl vat for up to 3 licenses, a saving of €55

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What do they need 2003 for that earlier versions won't do ?
    For a lot of gerneral work office 97 on ebay might suffice !
    If they actually use the advanced features then you would need later versions.

IIRC volume licenses start at 5 but can be moved off the PC, oem locks you into the replace cycle as you can't reuse the licenses later on. You might as well buy them - you can downgrade and you get rights for "the primary user" of a PC to put it on their laptop too. And AFAIK you can sell on the licenses later on.

For windows until recently you might as well have stuck with the OEM since there were new versions out every time you needed to upgrade the PC's - not sure if there is anything must have in longhorn that will be delivered in the next 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What do they need 2003 for that earlier versions won't do ?
    The crux of the matter here is that we're going to set them up with a professional job, good quality, but we've made it clear that only support we can give them is out of hours (we have real jobs). So as much as it possible, we want to be able to pass off the support to proper companies, so they're not high-and-dry when something goes wrong midday. Which is why we're buying the hardware from Dell :(

As best I understand it, Office 2k and Win 2k are gone end-of-life, so support won't be forthcoming from Microsoft, which is why I'm looking at the lastest OS/Software.

Advertisement