Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360

Options
  • 19-08-2005 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Microsoft spotlights higher Irish Xbox price: Technology giant Microsoft has invested millions in trying to gain an advantage in the intensely competitive games console market. As part of its efforts, it took the opportunity this week to announce pricing for its forthcoming Xbox 360 console, offering a two-tier structure for the product's basic and premium versions.

In a further effort to recover some ground on industry heavyweight Sony, Microsoft said it would release the new Xbox model simultaneously in the US, Europe and Japan.

Sony is not expected to release its PlayStation3 until the second quarter of next year and, even then, it is expected to retail at a higher figure than the premium version of the Xbox - in the US at least.

However, European consumers will not reap the full benefit of the price war, according to media reports yesterday. While the Xbox 360 will cost either $299 (€245) or $399 in the US, Europeans can expect to pay €299 or €399 - a premium of more than 20 per cent.

Being nothing if not assiduous, Microsoft was quick to contact Current Account yesterday, pointing out that we had failed to provide the pricing information for the Xbox in Ireland.

Surely, we thought, Irish consumers would be paying the euro-zone rate announced by Microsoft at a games conference in Leipzig.

Not so, it appears. Microsoft has evidently decided that the cubs of the Celtic Tiger will be happy to shell out that little bit more for their entertainment. So, while our euro-zone cousins will pay €299 or €399 for their consoles, we shall be paying that little bit extra - €309.99 or €409.99, depending on the model.

Current Account cannot recall the last time a company was so keen to notify readers of higher prices, but is glad to set the record straight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Angry_Man

Well, I know which console I'll be waiting for! Apparently XBox 360 Core (the non-premium one) won't have a hard disk, Wi-Fi, or DVD playback...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/18/microsoft_xbox360_price/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'll be waiting for the PS3 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Guess I'll avail of the free circulation of goods intra-EU and buy mine at the Eurozone price, not the Irish 'special' price :D

Haven't M$ ever heard of this notion? Don't they learn... sorry, know they could be done (again!) by the EU Commission for artificially partitioning the EU market? Muppets indeed - though I'd blame Irish customers if they were dumb enough to pay it/buy the console at the 'Irish' price :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

the ps3 will be at least €500 or something :rolleyes: wont have any decent multi, or online features, thats one the MS have nailed, something like, 2.5million xbox live users, those guys arnt gonna wait. I think MS have the console race in the bag at this stage, they even have more developers under there belt, Sony launch titles will prolly be GT5, MGS4, and killzone2 :o wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Angry_Man

I'll be waiting for the PS3 anyway.

Ditto. And as I have no intention of buying an XBox 360 of either flavor (I thought the whole point of a console was to have a standardised hardware platform), I'm not really bothered by the whole pricing thing.
    ambro25 wrote:
    Haven't M$ ever heard of this notion? Don't they learn... sorry, know they could be done (again!) by the EU Commission for artificially partitioning the EU market? Muppets indeed - though I'd blame Irish customers if they were dumb enough to pay it/buy the console at the 'Irish' price

Wouldn't mind seeing MS getting slapped by the EU Commission though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

the ps3 will be at least €500 or something :rolleyes: wont have any decent multi, or online features, thats one the MS have nailed, something like, 2.5million xbox live users, those guys arnt gonna wait. I think MS have the console race in the bag at this stage, they even have more developers under there belt, Sony launch titles will prolly be GT5, MGS4, and killzone2 :o wow.

I could be wrong but i think the point of this post is about MS charging more in Ireland than in the rest of Europe not to start a Xbox360 vs PS3 fanboi thread :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

ambro25 wrote:
    Guess I'll avail of the free circulation of goods intra-EU and buy mine at the Eurozone price, not the Irish 'special' price :D

Let me know how that works out for you when/if it ever breaks & you need to send it abroad to be fixed. Im not sure why having to do this makes you so happy. In actual fact the extra tenner is nearly worth knowing you wont have to do that.
    ambro25 wrote:
    though I'd blame Irish customers if they were dumb enough to pay it/buy the console at the 'Irish' price :rolleyes:

What other choices does the average (non net savvy) punter have? Id love for you to point them out to me.

I could be wrong but i think the point of this post is about MS charging more in Ireland than in the rest of Europe not to start a Xbox360 vs PS3 fanboi thread :rolleyes:

Point im making is, regardless of MS price hike, it will still be cheaper then a ps3 :p i'lll be buying both consoles, but it does suck how Ireland gets ripped off so easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

An example of price pointing. Normally companies set a european price including local tax and absorb the differnces country to country. Now considering the French price will include a local tax less than ours it is not really a straight forward rip off. They just decided not to absorb either the extra shipping or tax differnce in Ireland. Not saying it is fair but it is also not as straight forward as making us pay extra for no reason. Set up an e-mail campaign if it really bothers you.
    The EU should give tax breaks for a European games console due to the overall rip off by the US and Japan on the console market and electrics in general. Fuel price will effectively mean all imported goods will eventually be too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

It's only a tenner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

So say all the X boxes are shipped into France,how is it more expensive to send them from Paris to Helsinki(1188 miles (1912 km) (1032 nautical miles) than it is to send them from Paris to Dublin(489 miles (787 km) (425 nautical miles)?

We get screwed every time! :mad:

X

skywalker wrote:
    Let me know how that works out for you when/if it ever breaks & you need to send it abroad to be fixed. Im not sure why having to do this makes you so happy. In actual fact the extra tenner is nearly worth knowing you wont have to do that.

Why would I need to send it abroad? Under EU Law, I benefit from a 1-year manufacturer's garantee wherever I am in Europe. Don't matter where I go to get it fixed, all I have to do is prove it's under a year old :rolleyes: :p

Anyhow, I get mine at trade €€€, so P&P back to my Bro' for a fix is not really an issue :D:p
    skywalker wrote:
    What other choices does the average (non net savvy) punter have? Id love for you to point them out to me.

Buy a PS3 at a more/less expensive price, but the same price in IE as -say- FR/DE/ITA/ES/etc, etc? Join the 21st century and get online? Travel 'up north' and buy the UK/(£-GBP) model (if not correspondingly inflated)?

(I'd say the 'average' punter will opt for SONY anyway, so there you have it - problem solved :D:p )

Xcom2 wrote:
    So say all the X boxes are shipped into France,how is it more expensive to send them from Paris to Helsinki(1188 miles (1912 km) (1032 nautical miles) than it is to send them from Paris to Dublin(489 miles (787 km) (425 nautical miles)?

We get screwed every time! :mad:

X
    Just because you don't know how distribution and logisctics work doesn't make it a rip off.
    For it to get here it will come through the UK. Like it or lump it we are seen as part of the UK market and distribution. The North of Ireland also gets extra charges compared to the rest of the UK due to the Irish sea.

ambro25 wrote:
    Buy a PS3 at a more/less expensive price, but the same price in IE as -say- FR/DE/ITA/ES/etc, etc?

Saying buy a differant product is a cop out.

ambro25 wrote:
    Join the 21st century and get online?

Well thats the ideal solution to buy one thing isnt it?

ambro25 wrote:
    Travel 'up north' and buy the UK/(£-GBP) model (if not correspondingly inflated)?

Its not, but its hardly going to cost less than the original tenner to do that is it?
    ambro25 wrote:
    (I'd say the 'average' punter will opt for SONY anyway, so there you have it - problem solved :D:p )

Ahhh well. nothing to see here so.

skywalker wrote:
    skywalker wrote:
    skywalker wrote:
    Saying buy a differant product is a cop out.
    skywalker wrote:
    Well thats the ideal solution to buy one thing isnt it?
    skywalker wrote:
    Its not, but its hardly going to cost less than the original tenner to do that is it?
    skywalker wrote:
    Ahhh well. nothing to see here so.

Mate, you really need to -alternatively- work on your morning skills, or get rid of that aircraft carrier-sized chip on your shoulder.

Try the 3Ss and come back when you're making sense, because right now I'm having real difficulties understanding what sort of point you're trying to make
    :(

Most will opt for sony? lol, i doubt it, not the gamers away, home cinema/tech heads yeah, but people wanting to play online/play great launch titles wont "opt for sony" :rolleyes:

i hate to be the one to say this but the 'gamers' won't be the customers that microsoft or sony aim for. They are going to aim for the average joe soap who want to keep up with the joneses and have the newest playstation.

The 'gamers' don't consitute enough of a market for the companies at the moment, it's mass market appeal that xbox 360 and PS3 are aiming for. Otherwise why would they both be trying to be jack of all trades dvd player/mp3 player/ internet browser la di da etc.

and actually I'd say the 'most will opt for sony' statement will end up being true. The ps3 launch titles may be mostly sequels but they're sequels people want. MS aren't giving the masses what they want (Halo 3) at launch and they may suffer for that

MS will not suffer, they have a huge list of titles which will be out before xmas, including final fantasy, ghost recon, perfect dark, quake4, call of duty, pgr3, just to name a few.. there console will be out first, and i promise you, if anyone has, or played on xbox live, will defo not buy a ps3 for online purposes before they buy a 360, in fatc, they prolly wont NEED a ps3, (if they want online gaming, xbox has that wrapped up, bagged, and sold, thats one front sony have no chance on) :rolleyes: streaming music/video from pc, ripping music, webchat, videochat, the 360 will offer eveything, for the hardcore gamer, to the n0obies.

streaming music/video from pc, ripping music, webchat, videochat, the 360 will offer eveything, for the hardcore gamer, to the n0obies.

not exactly things i'd have thought important to the hardcore gamer but each to their own.

anyway this is moving further and further away from rip off ireland so i'm gonna stop there

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Beno

Don't see why this has to be in rip off ireland
    Since in the UK it will cost £209.99(€309.06) and £279.99(€412.081)
    Proof is here Currency converter and here price of xbox
    I think its a fairly reasonable price besides everything is cheaper in the states

Misrable sods

• Advertisement

Beno wrote:
    Don't see why this has to be in rip off ireland
    Since in the UK it will cost £209.99(€309.06) and £279.99(€412.081)
    Proof is here Currency converter and here price of xbox
    I think its a fairly reasonable price besides everything is cheaper in the states

Misrable sods

That is exactley why the prices in Ireland will be as stated we are the UK market as far as most companies are concerened because they use UK distribution to Ireland.

By the by not everything is cheaper in the US. Cereal is really expensive there for some reason as is toilet paper I kid you not and of course the big one is medical care. You think it is bad here it is about €500 a month for insurance. I met some people who have limps because when they were younger they didn't have good medical insurance and had broken a leg. College is kind of expensive too, don't let consumer goods make you think life is better there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

To everyone who is planning to "vote with their feet" and get it at the Euro price of 299/€399 as opposed to the Irish price of €309/€409: good luck importing it with less than €10 extra in costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Beno

Stekelly wrote:
    To everyone who is planning to "vote with their feet" and get it at the Euro price of 299/€399 as opposed to the Irish price of €309/€409: good luck importing it with less than €10 extra in costs.

I bet it will cost €299 and €399 over here because they said so on xbox irish website, it is confirmed, It WILL be cheaper here than in the uk.
    So if any idiot still want to vote with their feet and pay €10 more in the uk i wont stop them. The whole euro area will have the exact same rrp so buyin from the contident wont make much sence either

And finally the Xbox 360 will be sold at a loss just like the old one

I never thought to question the article/quote so OP where did you get it?

ambro25 wrote:
    Mate, you really need to -alternatively- work on your morning skills, or get rid of that aircraft carrier-sized chip on your shoulder.

Try the 3Ss and come back when you're making sense, because right now I'm having real difficulties understanding what sort of point you're trying to make
    :(

First of all "come back when you're making sense", dont be so condescending.

The general point Im trying to make is that you originally said, " I'd blame Irish customers if they were dumb enough to pay it/buy the console at the 'Irish' price" I asked you what alternative they had & you danced around it, unable to provide one. At the end there you seemed to realise this & resort to petty insults, well done.

skywalker wrote:
    dont be so condescending

I am not condescending - merely providing you with some friendly advice... Take it, leave it, smoke it, etc, etc. :p
    skywalker wrote:
    The general point Im trying to make is that you originally said:

"I'd blame Irish customers if they were dumb enough to pay it/buy the console at the 'Irish' price"

I asked you what alternative they had & - ALL OK SO FAR

you danced around it, unable to provide one. RING-RING-RING---WRONG

At the end there you seemed to realise this & resort to petty insults, well done. RING-RING-RING---WRONG AGAIN

I provided 3 alternatives. Each and everyone was to an extent practical and to another extent facetious. How should you take it? Well, as I've posted before: take it, leave it, smoke it, etc, etc.

I'm not particularly bothered about ramming my POVs down you throat or that of any other thread reader or poster, and will not feel demeaned to be proved right or wrong (I'd have to care, you see :D ), and am not even slightly perturbed at the sight of the contents of my posts being misinterpreted for the sole purpose of somehow "scoring points" :rolleyes:

The OP stated that Irish prices would be up and over EU-wide RRP, and my posts have been made hypothetically in the context of this (unsupported) hypothesis. If, skywalker, you're not mature enough to get this without me explicitly stating "this is a glib response / this is a serious response / this is what I would do in this instance" in my posts each and everytime, well... you tough luck, son, as I ain't gonna either :D

I leave to the pedants / 'point-scorers' the choice (for it is a choice, not an obligation) to query the facts/source of the info to the n-th degree, though I'd venture that at this early stage, it's pretty pointless as (i) marketing plans are still being formulated and (ii) as you and me are but lowly consumers, we'll just have to wait and see, come release day:

when the time comes buy a 360, I shall -naturally- do my homework (as I expect you and any other interested party will) and see for myself whether the Irish RRP is indeed higher, to the extent that it's worth me asking my brother to ship me one from FR (€5 for up to 5 kgs in 48 hours, and I've received enough parcels already to know that this is fact).

So there - If IE RRP is indeed €10 over the rest of EU, I may have saved myself €5 and in the process (and more importantly in my eyes - my opinion and you're entitled to yours) 'robbed' IE retail of one more sale, to get the infinitely small, but not-so-inconsequential point across that as a customer, "I shall not be ripped off" which, to the best of my belief, is the point of this thread and the topic of this Forum.

PS: you tried the 3Ss yet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

This thread was bound to start a rant without anyone getting out a calculator.
    EU VAT rates are not standardised, ours is 21%, Germany's is 16%, UK's is 17.5%, etc
    €309 is base cost + 21% giving pre-VAT price of about €255, tack on 16%, and you're at €296.

Think before you type for God's sake.

Its impressive how you manage to write so much, take so many standpoints & yet say very little. Except for the petty insults of course, SON.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Ohmygod what's wrong with you?

The original post is a complaint about pricing.. I answered that and avoided the usual nonsense about PS V XBox..
    I took one position on the one issue raised.

What's your point?

• Advertisement

@case_sensitive: I think that was my way, not yours ;)

@skywalker: whatever :rolleyes: - but you are funny, I like you :D

Advertisement