Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phones killed by surge?

Options
  • 19-08-2005 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have had 2 phones (one panasonic and one philips) which have both failed.They are wireless home phones. When the panasonic failed I got Eircom out but the line was fine. The guy said it might have been a surge from lightening that killed the phone. The phone powered but just got no phone line signal. The DSL and phone line seemed ok when tested with wired type phone.

This week the same thing happened to the Philips dect5112s replacement I got. Any ideas what may cause this? Will a surge protector help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

It could well have been excess voltage on the line induced by a nearby lightning discharge on both occasions, particularly if you are in a rural location served by overhead cable. A competent technician could verify that by examining the damage to the equipment. An earthed surge protector should help but you may want to check with Comreg if Eircom have obligations/liability in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

with all due respect snowbat the engineer is not gonna go out of his was to check the appliance due to liability of his advice ie. but he told me so etc its the same in every service if it doesnt belong to my company i dont want to know about it and yes its a shame considering he might have the answers.your telephone line should be earthed for minor problems but a lightening strike will be the end all as happened to me ,it blew off the wall

Advertisement