Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle in for Luque

• 19-08-2005 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Depor confirm Luque talks
    Deportivo La Coruna have confirmed to skysports.com that Newcastle are in negotiations for striker Albert Luque.

The Magpies have been scouring the continent for a new striker and, after a series of knock-backs, have set their sights on the Spain international.

Chairman Freddy Shepherd flew into Spain on Thursday to try and broker a deal with Depor counterpart Augusto Cesar Lendoiro and the Spanish supremo has now disclosed that he is locked in talks with Shepherd.

However, he revealed that a deal is still some way off, especially as other clubs are continuing to monitor the striker's situation.

"Yes, it is true (Newcastle's interest)," Lendoiro told skysports.com.

"We are negotiating but have not reached an agreement as yet.

"Other European teams are also interested in the player."

Newcastle are understood to have already agreed terms with the player himself but have yet to settle on a fee with Depor.

The Galicians are holding out for around €15 million (£10 million) while The Magpies' opening gambit is thought to be in the region £7.5 million.

Luque, who is under contract until 2010, has managed 26 goals in 101 league games for Depor and has frequently been linked with a move from the Riazor in recent times.

Indeed, this summer Barcelona, Real Madrid and Sevilla have all expressed an interest in the pacey front man and Newcastle will face further competition if they are to land the player.

However, Souness himself seems pessimistic about the club's chances of landing Luque because of Depor's demands.

He did not suggest the transfer was completely dead, but conceded that a deal was proving difficult to broker.

"We have had a week where we have tried to sign a couple of quality players and it has not happened," Souness said.

"But we have still a bit of time left in the transfer window.

"The two players we have gone after this week are top players and that is the only kind of player I am interested in bringing to this club.

"We are in the market for players. Whether they remain targets or not I think we should keep to ourselves."
    Superb technical player but doesn't score many goals compared to top class strikers. I've always thought of him as more an attacking midfielder or even winger.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Dont get 2 excited yet! move isn't happening!!

Newcastle boss Graeme Souness has admitted his bid to bring Deportivo La Coruna striker Albert Luque to Tyneside has fallen through.

Magpies officials travelled to Spain to discuss a £7.5million transfer for the 27-year-old as their search for attacking reinforcements intensified with the closure of the transfer window looming.

However, despite going much of the way towards agreeing a deal, the negotiations could not be concluded and the party returned to the north-east empty-handed again after also failing to make progress with Fenerbahce's Nicolas Anelka earlier in the week.

"We have had a week where we have tried to sign a couple of quality players and it has not happened," Souness said.

"But we have still a bit of time left in the transfer window.

"The two players we have gone after this week are top players and that is the only kind of player I am interested in bringing to this club."

Anelka, Michael Owen, Fredi Kanoute, Mark Viduka and Robbie Keane among others have attracted interest from the Magpies this summer, but with Newcastle's need well-known, prices have proved prohibitive.

The search will continue but Souness refused to say whether any of the moves could be resurrected.

"We are in the market for players," he said. "Whether they remain targets or not I think we should keep to ourselves."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

I thought this looked bad for Robbie, Souness saying no to Robbie and looking for Luque. I think Luque may go to Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Maybe Souness in his infinite soccer wisdom could have a go at signing Miccoli.

Graeme, if you're reading this, I want my cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think they'll still get Luque. Even more so if the press are saying the deal has falling through just because of Souness's quotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Luque would be a very good signing as a winger or a second striker .
    Souness seems quite the dab-hand at signing good players I just hope he can get the best out of them .

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The Luque deal seems to be back on. If they got him and Owen, they'd have an excellent team. If Spurs get Kuyt too, I might revise my predictions for Liverpool walking 4th place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Spurs do look like they are strengthen the team a lot. Robbie will have no chance if spurs buy Kuyt. He could have a season of no football in fact before he is dumped in the summer :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I knew the papers were reading too much into those Souness quotes.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/ARTICLE.ASP?ID=301950
    Albert Luque will arrive at Newcastle United on Friday for a medical, after a fee in the region of £10 million was agreed with Deportivo La Coruna.

Agent Francis Martin exclusively told skysports.com that an accord had been reached over the player and that he would seal a move to The Premiership this week.

"Tomorrow [Friday] morning, Newcastle will send a plane for Luque and his father," said Martin.

"We are confident that the player will pass the medical and sign a contract."

Luque himself expressed his delight at the chance of playing in England, saying: "I am happy that a deal has been done.

"The Premiership is an excellent league.

"It is up to the coach but I am prepared to play on Sunday against Manchester United.

"To be in the team next to [Alan] Shearer would be a huge personal satisfaction to me."

Luque is believed to have secured a five-year deal with The Magpies and looks in line to make his debut in the live Super Sunday clash with The Red Devils.

The move had seemed deadlocked but Newcastle have been busy trying to reinforce their squad before next Wednesday's deadline as they remain goalless in this season's Premiership after three games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

What a difference a day makes. Today Souness said a move for Owen was out of the question if it was only a loan.
    If they got Owen AND Luque :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I liek Luque as a player, but I'm note sure he'll have the temperament or the physical strength to compete in the Premiership. And to be honest, anyone signing for Newcastle at the moment needs their head examined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Done Deal

Apperently it's a done deal, pending the results of the medical.
    £10 million deal!!! expensive.

As regards the Owen situation!! Souness and Sheephead are muppets, if we can get Owen on a year long loan take him!!!!

If he help newcastle get in the champions league next year then he will sign permanently!

I worry for the toon army with management like that!

Whats Real's stance on the Owen season-long loan deal?

If only Souness was purely at Newcastle to make signings and someone else was the manager . Il give him until Christmas before I make my final judgement on Graham but with the players brought in and the ones possibly coming in there is no reason Newcastle shouldn't at very least get 6th (and even that should be a slight underachievement)

Given
    Carr Taylor Boumsong Babyaro

Dyer/Bowyer Parker Emre Luque

Shearer Owen

That team could compete with anyone .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Wat about rumours in papers of them signing Kuyt as well to replace shearer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Souness could pull off another one of his wonder signings. At Blackburn, he got us Lorenzo Amoruso, Egil Ostenstad and who'll ever forget that six million one goal a season wonder called Corrado Grabbi.

Knowing Souness' track record of signing Rangers rejects, Shota Arveladze is on the cards for Newcastle!

Lemlin wrote:
    Souness could pull off another one of his wonder signings. At Blackburn, he got us Lorenzo Amoruso, Egil Ostenstad and who'll ever forget that six million one goal a season wonder called Corrado Grabbi.

Knowing Souness' track record of signing Rangers rejects, Shota Arveladze is on the cards for Newcastle!

Parker , Emre , Boumsong , Luque .

His signings for Newcastle haven't been the problem, theyre all top class players. Its the management side of things Souness has yet to master.

PS - Does he ever smile? Is he still thinking about that "Ali Dia" prankster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Does anyone think that Owen is being a class A plonker over insisting that he wants a yr loan deal only (obviusly wanting renewed interest in Liverpool at teh end of it)

Newcastle agreeing a club record breaking fee for Owen and him only wanting a temporary contract. It just smacks of complete unprofessionalism by Owen, and if i was managing Newcastle theres no way i'd want a striker not 100% interested in playing for the club, with his focus on some future Pool deal.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Big Ears wrote:
    If only Souness was purely at Newcastle to make signings and someone else was the manager . Il give him until Christmas before I make my final judgement on Graham but with the players brought in and the ones possibly coming in there is no reason Newcastle shouldn't at very least get 6th (and even that should be a slight underachievement)

Given
    Carr Taylor Boumsong Babyaro

Dyer/Bowyer Parker Emre Luque

Shearer Owen

That team could compete with anyone .
    What's the rest of the squad like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

There should be a letter sent to all players alongwith a video of how newcastle have played since Souness took over and warned at all costs not to join this dire team.

• Advertisement

kaids wrote:
    What's the rest of the squad like?

Well you'd have either Dyer or Bowyer depending on who isn't playing then you've Milner , Ameobi , Elliot , Moore , Harper , Chopra , Brittan(sp?) , N'Zogbia , Faye . Fairly average but its not too bad .

WDK wrote:
    There should be a letter sent to all players alongwith a video of how newcastle have played since Souness took over and warned at all costs not to join this dire team.

But if you think about it either later this year or next year they'll have a great squad with a different manager .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

[Rant]
    How can people be talking about how good souness is at transfers? he's done absolutely nothing special. Yes he's brought in parker, emre, boumsong and luque, but they're hardly inspired signings. inspired signings are wenger getting henry or vieira, ok players who prove to be amazing. These 4 lads are just really good players, everyone already knew were good players and he's thrown money at them. Lots of people went in for luque, but noone else threw 10mill at depor. same for parker and emre, lots of other clubs were in for them (poor poor everton!), but newcastle just threw in more money, hardly genius, just money. Same for Owen, just threw the money, but the player even still wasn't convinced (even tho u can guarantee he would have had massive wages!) Its like calling mourinho great at transfers. imo they're only great if the player is bought under the odds, or if he developes into a great player. Allerdyce is a transfer genius, souness has rich uncle freddies pockets. Id be a bit worried with this approach if i was a newcastle fan, could be the next leeds. I know Newcastle had money saved - but this much?!
    [/Rant]

Emre cost £3.4 million and Souness used his Turkish connections to sign him .

im not worried Newcastle do have a lot of money , just don't expect many big money signings for the next 3 years .

Newcastle need to make two more big money signings before we can stop spending money. First we need someone to replace shearer, Luque isn't a 20+ goal a season striker. That will be really expensive.

Then we need to get in a top, top class centre-half.

A couple of million on a left back would be money well spent too. (Anyone know how the Coco thing is coming on?)

Cocco thing aint gonna happen :( .

Big Ears wrote:
    Cocco thing aint gonna happen :( .

I thought that a while back but then I read this

I still have my fingers crossed.
    Especially when you see that Inter have 15 seinor defenders on there books! :eek:

Kuyt or Owen now and I will have a bit of hope for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

WDK wrote:
    Up until April Newcastle were still in with a chance of qualifying for Europe through the league, in the semis of the FA Cup and the semis of the UEFA cup. Then Bowyer and Dyer had their tete-a-tete and subsequently the wheels came off, losing fix or six on the bounce. It wasnt all down to Souness, a lot of the players must shoulder a lot of the blame.

His signings have been reasonably young, hungry players, with great ability. Another CB and they have a very good XI and reasonable back-up for what Id say they are aiming to achieve (top 6?).

Don't think newcastle can aim any higher then the top 6 this year, but in the medium term I expect Newcastle to want to challenege for the league title. Shepard is ambitious even if he is a bit thick (Souness as manager!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

~Rebel~ wrote:
    How can people be talking about how good souness is at transfers? he's done absolutely nothing special.

What? How can you say that about Souness? What a manager! Look at all of his success at Liverpool, Benfica, Galatasaray, Southampton, Blackburn....... what a successful, brilliant, intelligent manager! :rolleyes:

Souness will send newcastle to a relegation battle this season mark my words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Excellent Post. Lol :)

Originally posted by Big Ears
    Parker , Emre , Boumsong , Luque .

Parker is proven Premiership quality, Boumsong looks good too. The jury is still out on the other two.

Originally posted by ~Rebel~
    [Rant]
    How can people be talking about how good souness is at transfers? he's done absolutely nothing special. Yes he's brought in parker, emre, boumsong and luque, but they're hardly inspired signings. inspired signings are wenger getting henry or vieira, ok players who prove to be amazing. These 4 lads are just really good players, everyone already knew were good players and he's thrown money at them. Lots of people went in for luque, but noone else threw 10mill at depor. same for parker and emre, lots of other clubs were in for them (poor poor everton!), but newcastle just threw in more money, hardly genius, just money. Same for Owen, just threw the money, but the player even still wasn't convinced (even tho u can guarantee he would have had massive wages!) Its like calling mourinho great at transfers. imo they're only great if the player is bought under the odds, or if he developes into a great player. Allerdyce is a transfer genius, souness has rich uncle freddies pockets. Id be a bit worried with this approach if i was a newcastle fan, could be the next leeds. I know Newcastle had money saved - but this much?!
    [/Rant]
    Originally posted by Zane from MTV2
    What? How can you say that about Souness? What a manager! Look at all of his success at Liverpool, Benfica, Galatasaray, Southampton, Blackburn....... what a successful, brilliant, intelligent manager!

Souness will send newcastle to a relegation battle this season mark my words.

These two posts sum up my opinion of Souness perfectly. It's all one thing going out signing big name players. Its another thing when Souness starts bickering with them and kicks them out of the club.

The one thing Newcastle need at the moment is a partner for Shearer, and why do they not have one: because of Souness' arguments with Craig Bellamy, who was quite right IMO to demand a position up front ahead of the woeful signing that was Patrick Kluivert.

Bellamy may not be the 20+ goal a season striker that Newcastle need to replace Shearer but he would certainly take alot of the pressure off old Al, as well as creating him alot more space and goal scoring chances up front.

Two years ago Blackburn finished sixth. Rather than building on this, Souness kicked Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke and David Dunn out of the club, and then sent Andy Todd on loan, all due to personal arguments. The same has already begun at Newcastle with Robert and Bellamy.

While Souness is manager, more and more will leave. I hope for Newcastle's fans, as I have always been fond of the club, that the rumours are true and Souness is merely warming the managerial seat for Shearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Lemlin wrote:
    I hope for Newcastle's fans, as I have always been fond of the club, that the rumours are true and Souness is merely warming the managerial seat for Shearer.
    People seem to question what Souness has done, but don't you think it would be a bigger risk if he was 'warming the managerial seat' for Shearer, a first time manager?

Lemlin wrote:
    Parker is proven Premiership quality, Boumsong looks good too. The jury is still out on the other two.
    To be fair the other two have proven a hell of a lot more than Parker and Boumsong in terms of world football.
    Lemlin wrote:
    The one thing Newcastle need at the moment is a partner for Shearer
    They have just signed Alberto Luque, they are still in negotiations with Michael Owen. To be honest, they appear to be more than attempting to remedy that problem.
    Lemlin wrote:
    and why do they not have one: because of Souness' arguments with Craig Bellamy, who was quite right IMO to demand a position up front ahead of the woeful signing that was Patrick Kluivert.
    For a start Kluivert wasn't Souness's signing, and didn't Bellamy throw a hissy fit after playing a couple of games on the wing? And then didn't he lie claiming he was injured for a game? Bellamy is more trouble than he's worth. The most goals he's ever scored in a season is about 14. He has caused trouble under both managers he had at Newcastle. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
    Lemlin wrote:
    Bellamy may not be the 20+ goal a season striker that Newcastle need to replace Shearer but he would certainly take alot of the pressure off old Al, as well as creating him alot more space and goal scoring chances up front.
    They have signed Luque, they are in negotiations with Owen.
    Lemlin wrote:
    Two years ago Blackburn finished sixth. Rather than building on this, Souness kicked Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke and David Dunn out of the club, and then sent Andy Todd on loan, all due to personal arguments.
    It was actually three years ago, and do you not think he had done enough building to get them there? Remind me where they were when he took over? That's right, mid-table in Division One. And he took them to 6th in the Premiership! He also won a trophy! European football.

What did you expect? To take Manchester United or Arsenal off their perch? When a club like Blackburn reach 6th their is only one place to go realistically. David Moyes will learn that this year. Do you think if he doesn't build on his 4th position he's done a bad job? Hardly!

He was right to get rid of the players he did. David Dunn has hardly kicked a ball since he left. Where is Dwight Yorke playing these days? Fiji? If you want to see other peoples opinions of Andy Todd there is another thread on him on this forum. Andy Cole did ok for Blackburn, but his departure hardly rocked the club at its foundations.

Souness did a great job at Blackburn, built every year, then had a single bad season where they finished 15th, but well clear of relegation. He achieved one of their highest league finishes ever, and won them their first league cup.
    Lemlin wrote:
    The same has already begun at Newcastle with Robert and Bellamy.
    Souness has done the right thing in getting rid of these two jokers. They were apart of the cancer at Newcastle Football Club. Both players have a list of disciplinary offences, under numerous managers. And what have either player done to deserve their momumental egos? S.F.A. One is lucky to break into double figures every year, and the other one has never been in his own half of the pitch.
    Lemlin wrote:
    While Souness is manager, more and more will leave. I hope for Newcastle's fans, as I have always been fond of the club, that the rumours are true and Souness is merely warming the managerial seat for Shearer.
    The only players that appear to be leaving are the mediocre ones that have been playing for them for too long, and coming in to replace them appear to be potentially world class players.

Souness hasn't even had the job a year and people are saying he is ruining the club. Up until April last year they were challenging on three fronts (Europe being the challenge through the league). They have started badly this year, and have another tough game at the weekend, but judging by their performance at Arsenal, I think he/they will prove a lot of people wrong this season. But if he does I'm sure it still won't be enough to turn his hater-brigade, which God knows where he picked up.

To be fair the other two have proven a hell of a lot more than Parker and Boumsong in terms of world football.

They have just signed Alberto Luque, they are still in negotiations with Michael Owen. To be honest, they appear to be more than attempting to remedy that problem.

For a start Kluivert wasn't Souness's signing, and didn't Bellamy throw a hissy fit after playing a couple of games on the wing? And then didn't he lie claiming he was injured for a game? Bellamy is more trouble than he's worth. The most goals he's ever scored in a season is about 14. He has caused trouble under both managers he had at Newcastle. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

They have signed Luque, they are in negotiations with Owen.

It was actually three years ago, and do you not think he had done enough building to get them there? Remind me where they were when he took over? That's right, mid-table in Division One. And he took them to 6th in the Premiership! He also won a trophy! European football.

What did you expect? To take Manchester United or Arsenal off their perch? When a club like Blackburn reach 6th their is only one place to go realistically. David Moyes will learn that this year. Do you think if he doesn't build on his 4th position he's done a bad job? Hardly!

He was right to get rid of the players he did. David Dunn has hardly kicked a ball since he left. Where is Dwight Yorke playing these days? Fiji? If you want to see other peoples opinions of Andy Todd there is another thread on him on this forum. Andy Cole did ok for Blackburn, but his departure hardly rocked the club at its foundations.

Souness did a great job at Blackburn, built every year, then had a single bad season where they finished 15th, but well clear of relegation. He achieved one of their highest league finishes ever, and won them their first league cup.

Souness has done the right thing in getting rid of these two jokers. They were apart of the cancer at Newcastle Football Club. Both players have a list of disciplinary offences, under numerous managers. And what have either player done to deserve their momumental egos? S.F.A. One is lucky to break into double figures every year, and the other one has never been in his own half of the pitch.

The only players that appear to be leaving are the mediocre ones that have been playing for them for too long, and coming in to replace them appear to be potentially world class players.

Souness hasn't even had the job a year and people are saying he is ruining the club. Up until April last year they were challenging on three fronts (Europe being the challenge through the league). They have started badly this year, and have another tough game at the weekend, but judging by their performance at Arsenal, I think he/they will prove a lot of people wrong this season. But if he does I'm sure it still won't be enough to turn his hater-brigade, which God knows where he picked up.

I was about to go on a rant in response to Lemlin , but you've covered everything for me , thanks :) .

• Advertisement

Have your rant. Don't say I didn't try warning yas in six months when Newcastle supporters are still booing the team off at half time and the end of matches. That's if he lasts that long.

Three games and no win or goals for Newcastle. That's just the start lads.

Lemlin wrote:
    Have your rant. Don't say I didn't try warning yas in six months when Newcastle supporters are still booing the team off at half time and the end of matches. That's if he lasts that long.

Three games and no win or goals for Newcastle. That's just the start lads.
    One game with a single available striker, in the twilight of his career playing up front alone, one against one of the favourites for the league with ten men.

The West Ham game would be considered disappointing, you would expect a team like Newcastle to beat them at home, however they appear to be adjusting back to Premiership life well. There is no shame there, particularly with a single striker again.

One game against a notoriously tough team to beat, particularly on their own patch.

I wouldnt be surprised to see them lose again this weekend. But their season will be decided on a lot more than their extremely tough opening few games.

The only response to simple facts about Souness's managerial career (and Liverpool, which was never going to be easy, and a spell at Torino aside, its actually quite impressive so far), is "Oh he's ****!". What makes people come to this conclusion? Bar their apparent dislike for him?

Im given Souness til January . Il openly admit I don't like him but im prepared to give him a chance . I just wish other Newcastle supporters would do the same and get behind the side and as far as other supporters go[cough Lemlin cough/] who cares what they think about our manager .

All I've done is given my opinion on Souness. You can agree with it or dislike it. Either way, I think I'll be proven right in time. Maybe I won't but I have to admit that I'll be there to say I warned yas all if I am. If I'm not, then Newcastle will be successful and you can laugh in my face. That's all I have to say on the subject. Enjoy your bantering....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

~Rebel~ wrote:
    [Rant]
    inspired signings are wenger getting henry or vieira, ok players who prove to be amazing.
    [/Rant]

One an international playing with Juve , the other a reserve for AC milan, hardly OK players to begin with ?

Souness is a decent manager in that he gets his teams playing good football just usually the clubs boards manage to screw him over.

Hope he stays would like to see his team playing for Newcastle not Bobby Robsons with a few new players added.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement