Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help!!

Options
  • 19-08-2005 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭

ok so im waiting for monday patiently!! lol but anyways i figure ill be offered my 5th choice but now i have absolutly no idea why that course is on my application and would rather take a place on my 7th choice!! i know u can only get offered above your first offer!! so is there anyway i can get my 7th????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The only way of getting a course lower on your list is to take a year out and reapply next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Sisu

Hi Cutie18Ireland,

There may, in limited circumstances, be a possibility to transfer from one course to another - if your fifth and seventh choices were in the same college, and that college's rules allowed for transfers.

For example, in TCD, you can start the course you're offered and apply in the first two weeks to transfer to a course with lower points. They don't let you transfer automatically - the department you want to go to would have to approve it, and if there are several applications, the rules say "Decisions on applications received by the closing date will be made on the basis of the following criteria: (a) availability of places, (b) entry qualifications and (c) time-tabling constraints." That means if there was one place, it would presumably go to the person who had asked to transfer who had the highest points. If they didn't let you transfer, then you'd have to stay in the course you started.

So there is a chance, if the courses are in the same place, that it could be possible to end up in the one you'd prefer.

Please don't rely on this, as it could mess things up if you did and it wasn't possible. If the courses are in the same college, and you do get offered what you think now that you will, try to find out from the college what its rules on internal transfers are.

I don't know anything about transferring to a different college, or if that might be possible.

I hope things work out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bounceymousey

hi,
    this is the way the system works!!! The minimum points are there for a reason! You get 5 points below the requirement, then of course u dont get the course!!!

All the courses u put down on ur form are sent to the colleges.
    The colleges then sort out in order of points the highest points to the lowest points!
    Obviously, there are so many places!! For example, my nursing course in ul has 65 places!!! So only the best 65 are taken in. If there is one place left and 3 people are left then they carry out a system called the random number system. Basically its flicking a coin!!!
    Ok, then if are eligible for two courses, then obviously, then one that is higher in ur preference, is the course u get!!! You wont get both and u cannot change as that means changing the whole system!!!
    But u can always not accept a course and accept a vacant place course, regardless of points.

But if u get ur course, and u want to do another course in the same college, u may change after the first semester. But u must have the points. I know this cos my friend changed courses but the most important thing was that he had to have the points!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

although if in the 1st round she was offered her 7th choice and in the following rounds she became eligable for the 5th choice you will then be offered your 5th choice

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Wait and see what you get offered you might be presently suprised.

There are also laods and laods of vacant places on the cao website,maybe there is something there that you would like to do instead if you do not get an offer that you would like

• Advertisement
Advertisement