Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Resolve ip address to username

• 19-08-2005 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to resolve an IP address or machine name to show the curently logged on username?
    I have tried a program called PSLOGGEDON but it tells me the remote registry functionality needs to be enabled.
    Basicly I wish to find out the source of malicious netsends sent from a particular machine name which I can resolve into a currently logged in UNAME.
    Preferabaly without interegating the registry.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

On a domain, or not on a domain? OS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Win 2k on a domain, I have admin rights on the domain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ensure that logon events are logged, then run compmgmt.msc, go to Action -> Connect to another computer..., stick in the hostname/ip address of the target machine. Then select System Tools -> Event Viewer -> Security, and have a look at the last few successful logons. A Logon Type 11 is a console/local logon, and is probably the person you're looking for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Depending on how your domain is setup (firewall / DNS / Wins etc.) this may work

nbtstat -a computername
    nbtstat -A 192.168.x.y

Or have their logon script dump the %username% into %computername%.txt and visa versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Found the culprit I was looking for anyway using the program psloggedon

PSLOGGEDON //machinename
    I'll teach him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement