Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Salary

Options
  • 19-08-2005 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question...

What would be the mean starting salary (veering to the lower side) for someone with has an honours degree in physics and a postgrad diploma in accounting, who wishes to train to become fully qualified? Dublin area...

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It all depends about what job your looking for.

If i was to have a guesstimate a yearly starting salary with your qualifications in a mid-to low range business should pay about 45-60k per annum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

Trainee accountant starting 14 -18k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

no grad jobs start at 65k *eek*

about 20,000 for trainee accountant salary i believe (a few friends with business degrees are doing the same)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

€12 an hour and all the Big Macs you can eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

For one of the large accounting firms: 20-23k

For one of the smaller ones: 16-18k

With a large hike once you qualify (2 years).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

madramor wrote:

I'm currently living that dream!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Thanks, thats what I thought.. about 20K starting if I get a good spot... cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Sorry If im hijacking the thread but what would the money be like once your fully qualified (In one of the big accounting firms like pwc, ernst, deloitte etc.) Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well I work for AIBBNY and you go to 29k after one year even if you're not studying for accountancy qualifications

I say at least 35k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

A range of about 14k-65k

What are you guys smoking? :):):) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

If you want good money come to Monaghan

12500e starting off, a year later 13500e + leave for college and study and exams.

Lifes great. Actually sucks.... Theres a demand for trainee accountants in Dublin City at the moment therefore the starting wage of a trainee has increased its a shame this sort of trend has not taken off in the north East.

Good luck to you....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Babybing wrote:
    Sorry If im hijacking the thread but what would the money be like once your fully qualified (In one of the big accounting firms like pwc, ernst, deloitte etc.) Cheers.
    40-45k.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

madramor wrote:
    That's rather better than it used to be at least. When I was working for an accounting firm (not training as an accountant, thankfully with the money they were earning), the starting rate was about £6k, though it did go up by a reasonable amount after the first two years. IIRC PWC and KPMG were paying more, though not much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

I'm currently living that dream!!!!!

Living it myself too 14k-16k per annum , sucks , Im just praying the money goes up substancially after 3 years .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

My brother trained as an accountant in the 80s and made 45 pounds a week while training. He got really high points in the Leaving, but because there were already two of us at university, and we did not qualify for any grants, my parents could not afford another set of university fees.

So he trained in a little office on Amiens Street - he was one of the high fliers who passed all exams first time, and was headhunted by a London branch of one of the big firms, then moved to New York with them, head-hunted again by another big firm, and recently moved again within New York. He's now making seven figures US.

The sky is the limit really for someone who has talent and is willing to work hard - and I mean 13 hours a day hard. Whether it's worth it or not, is another issue.

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Living it myself too 14k-16k per annum , sucks , Im just praying the money goes up substancially after 3 years .

its the life oldyeallar, you can't beat it!!! :(

You do yer professional exams yet man?

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    You do yer professional exams yet man?

I've got my Prof 2 repeats in 2 weeks, can't bloody wait. (ACA)

I got all my prof 1 and 2 exemptions according to the ACCA so Im applying for the prof 3 night course .

• Advertisement

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    I got all my prof 1 and 2 exemptions according to the ACCA so Im applying for the prof 3 night course .

What college are you going to?? I've gotta get these or i'm screwed, I'm on leave from tomorrow so i'm gonna bust my balls for the 2 weeks.

How many exams will you have then??

Im goina go to Waterford Institute , thats where I got my degree anyway .Where you doing yours ?
    Best of luck with em by the way , which ones you repeating?

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Im goina go to Waterford Institute , thats where I got my degree anyway .Where you doing yours ?
    Best of luck with em by the way , which ones you repeating?

I've to do Management Accounting, financial & tax. I passed the later 2 but because i did so bad in management I've to repeat all 3. :mad:

whys that?

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    whys that?

there's just rules about passing exams in ACA that are not in ACCA.
    You can compensate, say you get 45 in one & 55 in the other, then you pass.
    But if you get 34 in one and 66 in the other you can't, once you drop below 35/40 depending on what stage you're at then you've to repeat all of them even the ones that you passed.

Jesus thats insane , although ACCA have some similar rules I belivev when doing the 3 core prof 3`s.

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Jesus thats insane , although ACCA have some similar rules I belivev when doing the 3 core prof 3`s.

Yeah its pretty mad alright but if they allow compensation you have to have restriction on it.

Yea I guess so , its a bit annoying though just beacuse ya fail one like ya get screwed on three.

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Yea I guess so , its a bit annoying though just beacuse ya fail one like ya get screwed on three.

It sucks majorly. Work were real impressed too!!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

They say much to ya about it actually?

Advertisement