Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSIS tech help

• 19-08-2005 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hey,
    I'm trying to setup IIS so I can use ASP.NET (working on my FYP over summer - yippee) but every time I try to go into Add/Remove Windows Components in Control Panel I get an error message.

Most of my degree isn't cs-related so I'm not sure who I can ask about this kind of thing in the CSIS department so if anyone can give me a name that'd be great.

I was also wondering what the deal is with Visual Studio? I've tried a good few machines in CS3004 but it freezes whenever I ask it to do just about anything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

You'll need XP pro to use IIS. If its your own machine. The labs that now have all the post grad crap used to have ASP.NET. Have a word with Annette or Coughlan or one of the sys admins (not Tony!) about getting access to a machine that supports aspx pages. Can't remember the name of the machine but its up in Coughlans office.

Can't help you with Visual studio but if you got a flash drive you can put the web matrix program on to that and work off that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

Thanks for the help. It was the lab pc's I was trying and they all have Win 2000 (so IIS should work with them, as far as I know). My own machine has XP home but I might be able to get an upgrade to Pro off my brother. I'll send off an email or two to see if I can get things going at UL.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

More than likely you will need Admin privelages on the machine to install IIS or configure it. Which unless the machine has been assigned to you for your FYP purposes, you wont.

If Redmond still works there he could help you out

Advertisement