Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear sealer! (Case Mod)

Options
  • 19-08-2005 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭

Looking for a clear plastic sealer to apply to a computer case!
    Want to be able to apply this via brush or something that i can manipulate where it goes. The only thing i have used is the stuff from Fibre Glass boat kits and thats usually red. Saw something ages ago that was perfect but damned if i can remember where or when; it was a paintable clear acrylic that once buffed looked like glass coating. Use something similar for fake eyeballs.

Any help and i would be much appreciated.
    Nukem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Nukem wrote:
    Looking for a clear plastic sealer to apply to a computer case!
    Want to be able to apply this via brush or something that i can manipulate where it goes. The only thing i have used is the stuff from Fibre Glass boat kits and thats usually red. Saw something ages ago that was perfect but damned if i can remember where or when; it was a paintable clear acrylic that once buffed looked like glass coating. Use something similar for fake eyeballs.

Any help and i would be much appreciated.
    Nukem

clear silicone sealer (mastic sealing) is available in some hardware stores

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Can i buff that to a nice finish and is it fairly spreadable. Want to get the most even finish all overthe case.Cheers :D

Nukem wrote:
    Can i buff that to a nice finish and is it fairly spreadable. Want to get the most even finish all overthe case.Cheers :D

all over the case...no. It is used to seal around windows etc, used for sealing joints, not whole surfaces

Ha ha i thought you ment a hard silicone sealer. Thats just silicone that you use in a gun. Thats far too sh!tty. This would have to harden and form a hard sheel. Thanks anyways,

Nukem

dont really understand what u are trying to do tbh, lol

• Advertisement

I thoughts that i explained it poorly.
    Ok what im doin is maybe painting the case a candy red or a dark night blue.
    The i use some of those silver fine sprinkles and scatter them all over the case as evenly as possible! With me so far? The i need a sealer,laminat cover,acrylic paste or whatever to cover the paint and the sprinkles and i will buff it down with a soft polishing pad!

With the acrlyic sealer you will give the case finish a more 3D look!
    Hope that explains it better. Its a ver experimental thing but have an old case to mess with

nukem

Nukem wrote:
    I thoughts that i explained it poorly.
    Ok what im doin is maybe painting the case a candy red or a dark night blue.
    The i use some of those silver fine sprinkles and scatter them all over the case as evenly as possible! With me so far? The i need a sealer,laminat cover,acrylic paste or whatever to cover the paint and the sprinkles and i will buff it down with a soft polishing pad!

With the acrlyic sealer you will give the case finish a more 3D look!
    Hope that explains it better. Its a ver experimental thing but have an old case to mess with

nukem
    i get u now. so u want it to look like there is a layer of ice/glass over the sprinkles?

gline wrote:
    i get u now. so u want it to look like there is a layer of ice/glass over the sprinkles?
    As muttley says *ya ya ya*

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

try a motor factors, they sell clear lacquer about €5 for an aerosol, it is used to seal paint work on cars.
    i've used it several times on car bodywork. you can then apply car wax to bring up a full shine.
    just try a tester of your paint work b 4 doing the whole lot.
    to see if your happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

yeah you'd be looking for something like this
    http://www.autogeek.net/w893351930.html

so id say a motor factors would be able to assist ya like said above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

I've used the lacquer too and it works a treat. I did a job on painting a beige DVD writer aluminium and chrome (kinda chrome), and the lacquer has made it last through a great deal of button pushing :)

Thansks lads! May have another bum case to practise on soon so must try and see and get a couple of that laquer stuff.

Nukem

Advertisement