Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

why bother buying a new car! Insurance companies and careless drivers!

Options
  • 19-08-2005 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I ask myself, why bother buying a new car!
    If someone ploughs into the back of you the next time you go to trade the car in the garage will deduct more than the amount given by the insurance company.

I trade my car in every 2 years. Some 'cow' ploughed into the back of me the other week causing 5,000 euros damage (including the chasis). According to the main dealer where I was to trade my car in in 8 weeks time - he will not give me 13,000 on it anymore - but 11,500. The insurance company will only give me 10% of the pre vat repair cost.

Why should I have to take a loan out for this?? I didn't crash??? They are supposed to put me back in the position I was in before this woman crashed into me. I don't understand this system.

I never want to hear another "my premium has gone up becuase I crashed into someone moan" .

I was driving down the road - I did not crash and it is as if someone stole 1,000 euro off me.

It makes me sick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

bubby wrote:
    I trade my car in every 2 years. Some 'cow' ploughed into the back of me the other week causing 5,000 euros damage (including the chasis). According to the main dealer where I was to trade my car in in 8 weeks time - he will not give me 13,000 on it anymore - but 11,500. The insurance company will only give me 10% of the pre vat repair cost.

Sorry, why isn't the dealer giving the 13K? Are you tied to them? Was the repair not to standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bubby wrote:
    I ask myself, why bother buying a new car!
    If someone ploughs into the back of you the next time you go to trade the car in the garage will deduct more than the amount given by the insurance company.

Why should I have to take a loan out for this?? I didn't crash??? They are supposed to put me back in the position I was in before this woman crashed into me. I don't understand this system.

I never want to hear another "my premium has gone up becuase I crashed into someone moan" .

I was driving down the road - I did not crash and it is as if someone stole 1,000 euro off me.

It makes me sick

There is more than one dealer in the country. If he doesn't give the full amount then take your business elsewhere. How do you know you are getting a good deal if you don't shop around.

Do you honestly think that he is going to tell a potential buyer that the car has been crashed? More than likely he will only say if he is asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Crash depreciation should be 10% of the pre-crash value of the car.. Not 10% of the prevat repair cost.... you aren't pushing the ins company hard enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Borzoi wrote:
    Sorry, why isn't the dealer giving the 13K? Are you tied to them? Was the repair not to standards?

Becuase they asked if it was in a crash - and I told them (as I am obliged to do legally - so they reduced the trade in amount. Repairs are not complete yet.
    bazz26 wrote:
    There is more than one dealer in the country. If he doesn't give the full amount then take your business elsewhere. How do you know you are getting a good deal if you don't shop around.

I have checked with three main dealer garages. I have alawys dealt with main dealers before - car has a full service history and there is a certain make of a car I want to buy.
    css wrote:
    Crash depreciation should be 10% of the pre-crash value of the car.. Not 10% of the prevat repair cost.... you aren't pushing the ins company hard enough..

Not according to a lot of sources .. apparently the legal amount is 10% of the repair cost. I have pushed hard enough and they won't budge. Solicitor is on the case now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

I got 10% of the pre crash value when I was rear ended..

• Advertisement

what year car was yours? Mine is a 2002 car. They say that "its 3 years old though".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

bazz26 wrote:
    Do you honestly think that he is going to tell a potential buyer that the car has been crashed? More than likely he will only say if he is asked.
    Great point,
    He's robbing from you and keeping for the company.

Divers wrote:
    Great point,
    He's robbing from you and keeping for the company.

I don't agree with this - main dealers give a decent warranty on cars and also anyone buying a car second hand (if with half a grain of sense) would have an independant mechanic assess the car before buying. With chassis damage - they will find it very hard to hide. I am told that a replaced chassis leg will be blatantly obvious. A layman could see it. It is not in their interest to sell a car and noit mention the fact that it has been in a bad crash. Bad publicity would be very difficult to rectify. I doubt very much a main dealer would take this risk. That is one of the reasons I only buy from a main dealer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

bubby wrote:
    Bad publicity would be very difficult to rectify. I doubt very much a main dealer would take this risk. That is one of the reasons I only buy from a main dealer!!
    Sorry to say it but you're too naive bubby. Main dealers are as likely to be gangsters as the second hand car salesmen on the Naas Road etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bubby wrote:
    I don't agree with this - main dealers give a decent warranty on cars and also anyone buying a car second hand (if with half a grain of sense) would have an independant mechanic assess the car before buying. With chassis damage - they will find it very hard to hide. I am told that a replaced chassis leg will be blatantly obvious. A layman could see it. It is not in their interest to sell a car and noit mention the fact that it has been in a bad crash. Bad publicity would be very difficult to rectify. I doubt very much a main dealer would take this risk. That is one of the reasons I only buy from a main dealer!!

Main dealers will burn you just as fast as the others. They could be selling crashed cars to unsuspecting people every day at full price. There are people out there who buy second hand cars from garages without getting them checked out first. If you spot it then fine but the next person may not. These guys can judge what type of buyer you are after talking to you for 2 mins. It is there job. At the end of the day they are sales people trying to make commission on their product, they are only trying to be your friend when you are buying from them, if you have a problem with the car they don't want to know you and will try to fob you off.

And it is not only used cars, I know someone who bought a new car only to find out a week later that the rear door was resprayed after it was damaged while being delivered. Took some doing to get the dealer/manufacturer to replace the car. How many people check a new car for a respray when picking it up? It is more common than you think.

• Advertisement

Like I said - if you don't get an independant accessment then your to blaim. Period! I get ALL cars checked independently!! My car was top notch before it was slammed into by that loon! Now I may loose out of 1,000 euro becuase of it.

To top it off - on my way home from work in the rental car .. I was at traffic lights in Cabra and some - asshole parked to the right almost reversed into me. I had to beep the horn for a good 20 second before he stopped!!!

Tell me, what is the story with people and observation these days.

"Let me just rear-end that car". Ahhhh - "I think I'll reverse without looking in my mirrors".

FFS.

I'm thinking they should tighten up a bit on who they give licenses to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Sorry to hear about all your trouble bubby. :(
    .........Cars (and car dealers!) can be a real hassle sometimes!

Just to add to the 'main dealer' stories ........

Last night my sister told me that she had gotten a call during the week about a car (Astra) she had traded-in two years ago.

The guy had just bought it from the main dealer to whom she traded it in ,and he wanted to know about it's history.
    It had been rear-ended 6 months before they traded-it in (they told the dealer so) but he was not told about this when he bought it last week!.

Suffice to say he was not happy about this and was going to call back to the dealer and seek an answer/refund.

Buyer beware is what I say !

(P.S. - I checked my new car for respray/damage upon collection, but then again I used to be a Panel Beater ;))

Okay - this is sinking in now guys - thanks for the advise. So, no matter what I am going to be shafted from the main dealer anyway. Could be via the depreciation on my crashed and fixed car - or sold a respray.

Thats for the heads up - I'll certainly keep this in mind.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If i were you bubby I would say nothing about the car having been in a crash when trading in. My attitude to most of these dealers is **** 'em, if they don't examine the car well enough to see for themselves that the car has been crashed then that's their problem.

If you tell them the car has been in a crash you know what they're going to do next. They'll do that "sucking in air" noise that you get from a lot of w*nkers in the motor trade, this will be accompanied by a derisory offer for your car. When it comes to selling the car on to somoene else do you think they are going to pass on the information that the car has been in a crash? Not a hope in hell! What will happen is exactly what happened with Silvera's sister. They'll sell it on for top whack to some punter and play dumb about any crash repairs.

I'm also not convinced that you legally have to declare that the car has been in a crash if asked. If somone points out something in legislation which states this then I'll change my attitude but until then I'm going to call it as BS. I mean if this was some sort of legally binding thing surely you'd have to sign some written declaration saying that the car was or wasn't crashed. Verbal declarations are worth very little and are going to be very difficult to prove. Also, as someone pointed out in a earlier thread what exactly are you supposed to declare? If you scraped the car off a pillar and had it repaired does that count as a "crash" that has to be declared.

PS if I was selling privately I would tell the buyer about any crashes out of the godoness of me heart :) But really it's up to the buyer to do his homework and examine the car thoroughly.

Advertisement