Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dEUS - Pocket Revolution

Options
  • 19-08-2005 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

Yes dEUS are still going and this is there first album since the singles compilation "No More Loud Music" that album has one new song, "Nothing Really Ends" which a lot of dEUS fans had no problem buying the album to listen to and it is an amazing song. as it happens it also appears on the new album but is clearly out of place with the rest of the album containing Rocky-Melodic songs.

the album itself sounds amazing, i've listened to it 4 times in a row trying to pick out the song on the album i least liked.. i still haven't been able to pick one out. and it's not that the songs are similar, each one has it's own charm and mood. some return to the wacky dEUS rock from earlier albums, and some are calm clear lyrcialy dominated slow tunes. it's a well recorded and keeps your attention throughout.
    here is how the songs brake down:

Bad Timing - Begings with hard bassline as and distortion and fades into harmony, Vocals kick in softly and get stedily more confident, and for a 7 minute song it easily keep you interested

7 days, 7 weeks - Vocals kick in quickly as the music switches between pop-melody and back again to typicly dEUS mildly distorted sound
    a very nice song and that will catch your attention with a catchy Cours.

Stop-Start Nature - This is one of my favouirt tunes, starting off with a build up that you know is going some where good, and when the guitars kick in it makes you want to pick up one yourself and join in some how

If You Don't Get What You Want - another well organised rock tune like Stop-Start Nature and even more enjoyable with some great lyrics that the guitars can't even over shadow.

What we talk about (when we talk about love) - I really love this song and in fact it was the first song i heard when i but on the album. it's such a difficult song to describe without missing something. it's got a great beat and and very enjoyble entry to the vocals by another band member

Include Me Out - This is anther sloft song incorperating a nice Violin backline before the rest of the instuments kick in. with a truly enjoyable harmony. a very nice song to listen to.

Pocket Revolution - The title track reminds me of a lot of other songs dEUS have done.. but i can't quite but my finger on which one. but it's still very enjoyable in it's own right, espectialy when it brakes away from the solom mood into the cours

Night Shopping - a cool rockin' track. another one i can't wait to hear live

Cold Sun of Circumstance - This song has a strange hint of blues, it's very suble and this song has a wonderfully ease in from start to finish, it has nice clean guitar riffs and Tom Barmarns Vocals and lyrics keeps the song interesting.

The Real Sugar - this song is a welcome brake from the tempo set by the other songs. really nice easy song to listen to. i really enjoy this one.

Sun Ra - this song seems a bit out of place on the album, but it wouldn't be a dEUS album without something like this. not a bad song by any means, but it just seems less polished then the rest

Nothing Really Ends - this is the perfect song to finish off the album. an amazing song, soft and direct, with an air of seriousness.

when the album ends, all thats left to do is take in what you've heard.. before you put it back on.

i'd have no problem giving this album 100%. 6/6, ***** or any other award, it's a perfect dEUS album. get it!

Comments

to be honest i think dEUS havent progressed one bit since the ideal crash
    if anything, they have simply become more normal, which is a pity as the main reason i like dEUS is because they were so experimental.

On the ideal crash they got the balance right between experimenting and good songwriting, while on this album they often just play it safe. It must be that the three members that left offered a lot of creativity while Barman and Kanjoonz (i think his name is) simply wrote this basic song structure

Then again, what we talk about (when we talk about love) is amazing and incredibly different from what the band has done before

Another problem with the album is that at times it feels like theres more quantity than quality, track 3, 4, 8 and 9 feel like fillers, just standard rock songs. I never thouht id hear dEUS write a standard rock song

Anyway, its still a good album and dEUS still do what they do better than anyone else
    id give it 7/10 :)

Advertisement