Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my Smart telecom router, why 10 days?

• 19-08-2005 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

until I'm active? (although on summerhill exchange, and eircom transfered me)

Called eircom to make sure I'm transfer, so it took place 2 days ago
    By calling smart CS I was told it will take 10 days, I've asked why and was told "this is how it works".

So now I'm wondering why is the delay?

Any1 knows what the crack?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol

i was told 10 days took about 2 days for me to be connected

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

arikv wrote:
    until I'm active? (although on summerhill exchange, and eircom transfered me)

Called eircom to make sure I'm transfer, so it took place 2 days ago
    By calling smart CS I was told it will take 10 days, I've asked why and was told "this is how it works".

So now I'm wondering why is the delay?

Any1 knows what the crack?

It seems to take up to twelve working days (and thats all going well) to have the physical transfer carried out in the exchange. I understand the next step is for Smart to contact you with your new number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

dub45 wrote:
    It seems to take up to twelve working days (and thats all going well) to have the physical transfer carried out in the exchange. I understand the next step is for Smart to contact you with your new number.

That (usually) comes included with the router package, as your phone number is the username for the modem to connect to the internet.

I was connected so fast, that I hadn't even got my new number yet so had technically no incoming phone service for over a day before I realised. I think it depends on how many lines €ircon has to unbundle and jumper in the exchange so if you live in an area where there are not many people waiting to be connected, its usually a very fast changeover process.

That (usually) comes included with the router package, as your phone number is the username for the modem to connect to the internet.

I was connected so fast, that I hadn't even got my new number yet so had technically no incoming phone service for over a day before I realised. I think it depends on how many lines €ircon has to unbundle and jumper in the exchange so if you live in an area where there are not many people waiting to be connected, its usually a very fast changeover process.

Well its good to hear that you got sorted out so quickly. What are the settings that Smart uses? What about password set up etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

I'll see tonight if it on
    BTW, my phone line isnt active
    When it is feel free to call me (it's free)

I'll rather not post my number but fell free to reply

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

dub45 wrote:
    Well its good to hear that you got sorted out so quickly. What are the settings that Smart uses? What about password set up etc?

Setup is really quick and easy. You have to change about four settings and you're on. The username is your phone number (incl. area code) and your password is a random combination of letters. The setup screen is very simple and has a few things to edit (change login to "PPPoE" and put in "8" as VPI, then enter username and password, check "Keep Alive" and then save the config).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

i got smart in less than 2 weeks! just moved apartment, got registered with eircom, then registered with smart, got my modem today actually, then had the modem setup in less 30 min!!! having only used it for a few hours, i'm actually impressed. i was using ibb at the old house and had loadsa problems.

why did they say u're live date was later than when u got the modem? i tried straight away when i got it and it worked!!!

wanwarlock wrote:
    i got smart in less than 2 weeks! just moved apartment, got registered with eircom, then registered with smart, got my modem today actually, then had the modem setup in less 30 min!!! having only used it for a few hours, i'm actually impressed. i was using ibb at the old house and had loadsa problems.

why did they say u're live date was later than when u got the modem? i tried straight away when i got it and it worked!!!

I donno why, any way since yesterday (22-08) I'm online - 7 days before the 12 working days are over. I'm happy as a man can be.
    only need to sort out the router hanging problem:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=271503

arikv wrote:
    I donno why, any way since yesterday (22-08) I'm online - 7 days before the 12 working days are over. I'm happy as a man can be.
    only need to sort out the router hanging problem:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=271503

Consider yourself lucky - I rang them today to check progress a week after giving them my new Eircom account number and my bb termination number and being assured that my connection would be deal with urgently. Guess what my details have not even gone to Eircom yet. And worse still the guy I was dealing with tried to blame Eircom for the delay!! :eek:

dub45 wrote:
    Consider yourself lucky - I rang them today to check progress a week after giving them my new Eircom account number and my bb termination number and being assured that my connection would be deal with urgently. Guess what my details have not even gone to Eircom yet. And worse still the guy I was dealing with tried to blame Eircom for the delay!! :eek:
    I've assisted my luck by calling them everyday, and I mean everyday (beside weekends), also called comreg + eircom several times + went to eircoms' HQ and talked to the ppl behind the desk.

They were mostly helpful, if you dont like something call them again

• Advertisement
Advertisement