Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing a new subject

Options
  • 19-08-2005 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

Ok I did it last year with little success and some people consider taking a subject they've never done before and doing it to make up points.

I took business and economics which I had never done in school and tried to do the courses by myself at home along with the rest of my subjects. I failed economics and got a C3 in business ( I was foolish enough to think I'd gotten an A because I thought I was good at it and found the exam easy).

What advice would you give people that are thinking of doing a new subject to make up on points?

What subject would you reccommend.

Would you do a new subject to make up on points(please specify) 13 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I wouldn't advise doing a completely new subject at all.

If you have some background in it at Junior Cert., I would consider it, but not on your own at home. There are many VECs running single subject night courses. They would be the best option, particularly if you are interested in getting a high grade.

For some subjects, e.g. Home Economics, the SEC needs some assurance that the practical element is being properly covered, so you should talk to your school's Examinations Secretary if you are considering doing subjects outside those offered by your school.

Keep an eye on the timetables as well, some subject combinations are not allowed, and some subject papers clash with others, which is not an insurmountable problem, but a pain in the bum for the Examinations Secretary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I did the Social Science exam (Home Ec. Soc & Sci), as I did biology so had that half of the course covered. It boosted my results by 25 points, as I got a B3 Honours in it.

I don't know what the syllabus is like now though, as I did my Leaving in 1996.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mrs. hamlet

I think that business is definitely one of the easiest subjects to do but the problem with it is exam technique is more important for this exam than any other. You really have to know exactly what they are asking you and once you can do that, it's simple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 enkii23

Ya I'd def do an extra/new subject 4 points. My top2 would b geog nd applied maths. I did geog as an extra myself this year. I found that its mainly about knowing the marking scheme. It didn't require a huge amount of work nd yet I got an A1 so i'd recommend it. Also if ur good at hons maths n physics i'd say do applied maths. Its a short course and while it does require a fair bit of work, there's a lot of overlap with the other 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Im going to pick up Accounting i did business for JC and loved accounting but in 5th yr i stupidly picked history! now that im headin to the tute im goin to pick accountin as 8th subject! My brother picked up Ecconomics two day (no joke) befor the Exam in the Lc and got a C1 my other bro did it for two years and got a C1 i dont really get that lol!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

i'm thinking of picking up business and doing it myself...i might as well give it a shot! but i just dont want it to distract me from my other subjects aswell!!

Advertisement