Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monthly pension contribution? €€

Options
  • 19-08-2005 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Just wondering about monthly pension contributions at work. Am fairly clueless about the whole pension thing but know that the more I contribute and the younger the age I am, the better. Thinking of upping mine from 80 to 130. What is the recommended amount to allow you to live comfortably upon retirement? I am 26 and only started the pension one year ago. How much are people contributing generally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A few things.

Whats your salary

The tax break. There is a percentage limit.

What other commitments do you have, mortgage, loans, family ...

First off, I imagine max out your SSIA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

How much do you reckon you'll need/want to live on in retirement? That is the key driver of what should be contributing to your pension, but is irrelevant if you can't afford it I guess. Check out www.pensionsboard.ie Plenty of useful information, and a pensions calculator.

I am contributing 4% of gross salary (mandatory) to my employer's pension fund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I'd be careful about ploughing too much into a pension fund until you get onto the property ladder. No point in scratching round for a house deposit or wedding in a few years time while you've got cash sloshing round in your pension fund when you can't get at it.

Also, check out what kind of fees (management fees, bid/offer spread, administration fees, initial units, allocation units etc) you are paying on your pension contributions - make it is competitive.

Advertisement