Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-news gay story of the day

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

LiouVille wrote:
    Btw MicraBoy, you the youngest looking guy at the queerbeers on saturday?
    Nah I wasn't there. I promised myself I would go, but wasn't match fit following a couple of heavy nights on Thurs and Fri. I'll brave the next one! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Fabulo

LiouVille wrote:
    Suppose this guy is into cottaging, one night stands, unsafe sex, all manner of perversion and drugs. Should he still stand there and say "I am gay, this is what it means to be gay, be like me". We all ahve the power to do good, but not all of us would make good role models.
    I've heard this argument about Queer as Folk as well. It sometimes portrays a seedier side of gay culture, with characters who take drugs and who are irresponsible... And people have said it's an unfair representation of gay people. But the argument I would use to counter that would be that if we can have our nice and inoffensive Will Trumans, we should also be able to see the darker side.

Also, I'm not necessarily saying that people should emulate them (although, inevitably, some would), but that the fact that they are out shows that someone should not be ashamed of being gay...

And presumably if every gay celebrity were out, we would have an accurate representation of gay celebrity culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Fabulo wrote:
    I've heard this argument about Queer as Folk as well. It sometimes portrays a seedier side of gay culture, with characters who take drugs and who are irresponsible... And people have said it's an unfair representation of gay people. But the argument I would use to counter that would be that if we can have our nice and inoffensive Will Trumans, we should also be able to see the darker side.

Also, I'm not necessarily saying that people should emulate them (although, inevitably, some would), but that the fact that they are out shows that someone should not be ashamed of being gay...

And presumably if every gay celebrity were out, we would have an accurate representation of gay celebrity culture.

One word, rolemodel. It means you should behave in a certain "positive" way. I'm not saying that homosexuality should be represented in a certain way, you're the one saying this guy should be a role model. I'm saying what if he's not a particularly good one

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

I think he's a brilliant role model for young gay guys. I mean he's successful, is in a steady relationship, and his parents and friends took it really well. what more could you ask for? ok i know it's it's a little too perfect but it puts it into the main stream....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

bopper wrote:
    If yer man from V really is his boyfriend then he's one lucky bastard cos he is a ****ing RIDE!
    In order for me to give a nuanced and balanced opinion on this sensitive matter, I think I will need photographs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

You know what would be good? Straight role models. It would be far far easier for gay people to be accepted if more straight people thought "So what?" rather than "OhMyGodThatFellaisSnoggingAnotherFellaJesusChristLikeThat'sJustSickEugh"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I agree with damien. We should have more straight people havign sex with the gays. It's the only way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Fabulo

LiouVille wrote:
    One word, rolemodel. It means you should behave in a certain "positive" way. I'm not saying that homosexuality should be represented in a certain way, you're the one saying this guy should be a role model. I'm saying what if he's not a particularly good one
    Well, any celebrity will be a rolemodel no matter what they do. All I'm saying is that coming out can only serve to make him/her a better rolemodel, because it shows that being gay isn't something to be ashamed of.
    damien.m wrote:
    You know what would be good? Straight role models. It would be far far easier for gay people to be accepted if more straight people thought "So what?" rather than "OhMyGodThatFellaisSnoggingAnotherFellaJesusChristLikeThat'sJustSickEugh"
    We need GOOD rolemodels, who cares about their sexuality :P There aren't enough decent people to look up to these days.

Advertisement