Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Music Shops

Options
  • 19-08-2005 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

im moving to galway soon and i was just wondering if there are any good music shops in galway at all.by good i mean experimental, metal, avant garde etc, not mainstream golden discs etc.
    or will i be mainly be looking at internet purchases from now on?
    karl hungus - im looking in your direction here for answers.........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Citylink return ticket to dublin: 16euro
    Phonecall to Sound Cellar: €x.xx

There's sfa in Galway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i have yet to find one but havn't looked too hard....hmv and goldendiscs are all i have gone into and they are not my style...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

SyxPak wrote:
    Citylink return ticket to dublin: 16euro
    Phonecall to Sound Cellar: €x.xx

There's sfa in Galway.
    trip to dublin,priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

thanks lads! :)
    had a feeling it was going to be like that..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Try Zhivago Music
    Redlight Records
    or mulligan records in middle st

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

You won't find any metal in there but Mulligan's has a lot of stuff you won't find anywhere else in Galway. It's a bit pricey though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Zhivago on Shop Street is your one stop shop for exactly that kinda thing. The fellow in charge of the Metal section orders in a lot of intersting stuff, and it's generally cheaper than Sound Cellar. He can practically get anything you want, and many times I've gotten stuff there that I was hard pressed to find in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've found Redlight pretty good for ordering in stuff I couldn't find elsewhere, too.

woah,never noticed anything good in these shops....must keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

woah,never noticed anything good in these shops....must keep an eye out.

You wont notice anything in Redlight, you have to get it ordered in, there is however some good stuff in Zhivago from time to time, in fact I saw a few (2) Arcturus albums in there a few months ago...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭COCK

mulligans on middle street (parallel to shop street) is the only good place, after they closed down that dj shop across from roisin dubh. Theres not much of a nitch for an "obscure" music shop in galway, so your best bet, as said above, is to order out of zhivago or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

right, i dont want to start up another thread but are there pubs who similarly play good music as well,much along the same lines as i would have outlined in the music shop question.
    it doesnt have to be a pub which always plays the music,just maybe a place which plays music alternative once a week.

wednesdays in sally longs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ordering music online would probably be the solution to all those problems....
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭eyedrenalin

If you're really [actually] into music, then redlight is the buzz. the heads that work in there are sound, won't give you attitude if you order something they aren't into [like that mope with long black hair that works in zhivago] and they actually know what they are talking about [and when they don't, they actually listen to what you have to say! imagine!] Internet shopping is the best value, but really, do you want your record purchasing experience to be so cold. nothing wrong with a little browsing. Oh, and, the girl that works in Redlight on Eglington is HOT HOT HOT!

Clubs wise - why don't you check out the Vic or Brennan's Yard when SiSi are playing [110th st. / Hive / Boogaloo {not sure if they still use that name}] or the Roisin Dubh. No matter what you're into, except "dance" music [but you will see some electronica in there from time to time] you will find alot in there, and even if you're not into it, go anyways cos most of it is great! DeBurgo's is the business on occasion and Richardson's can [really slim] sometimes have some great acts for underground nights upstairs in the ****ty little bar [as good on the right night as the upstairs of the international in dublin]. The Beerhouse [now owned by ex-091 heads] has some wicked Hip-Hop and House/Techno players regular on the weekends. The bluenote can have some respectable music [although not really a 'club' mostly jazz/hiphop/soul etc]

C'mon, get with it you guys... There is more to this city than the usual CPs/Halo/Cuba/GPO circuit.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Clubs wise - why don't you check out the Vic or Brennan's Yard when SiSi are playing [110th st. / Hive / Boogaloo {not sure if they still use that name}] or the Roisin Dubh. No matter what you're into, except "dance" music [but you will see some electronica in there from time to time] you will find alot in there, and even if you're not into it, go anyways cos most of it is great! DeBurgo's is the business on occasion and Richardson's can [really slim] sometimes have some great acts for underground nights upstairs in the shíty little bar [as good on the right night as the upstairs of the international in dublin]. The Beerhouse [now owned by ex-091 heads] has some wicked Hip-Hop and House/Techno players regular on the weekends. The bluenote can have some respectable music [although not really a 'club' mostly jazz/hiphop/soul etc]

C'mon, get with it you guys... There is more to this city than the usual CPs/Halo/Cuba/GPO circuit.

B

Gold.

Dust.

Advice.

Advertisement