Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do *you* pronounce 'pwn3d'?

Options
  • 19-08-2005 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

This may well have been posted elsewhere, and maybe nobody cares, but I'm curious as to how everyone thinks 'pwned' or 'pwn3d' or 'pwn3d3d' is pronounced. I've heard several variants, and I'm pretty sure I know which one is the majority choice. But I'd like to see how much the vote is split. Since I have an interest (or should that be a 'bore'?) in etymology, things like pwn3d (my preferred spelling) fascinate me.

How do *you* pronounce 'pwn3d'? 81 votes

Poned
    0% 0 votes
    Pooned
    32% 26 votes
    Pyuned
    4% 4 votes
    Pawned
    2% 2 votes
    No pronunciation - word is pure text
    43% 35 votes
    Bah?
    11% 9 votes
    Pweeeeeened
    6% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

As much as I f'ucking despise this word I've found myself starting to mutter it unconsciously while playing games online. Beh.
    Anyway, I've always assumed it's pronouned 'powned'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's rponounced the way it is spelt. You need to put emphasise on the 3 which is pronounced more like a q without the u after it.
    Any easier way is to pronounce it like owned. This piece of 1337 speak came about when one of the top gamesplayers typed pwnd instead of ownd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

i pronounce it p-owned

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn

Bit of useless info there. they say you pronounce it powned but it's owned on pure pwnage. Bloody canadians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Angry_Man

Preferered spelling: pwnd
    Preferered pronounciation: owned

But then again, with only a double digit post count, I'm a n00b here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i believe its pronounced "shut up you internet nerd" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I'd go for "Owned with a capital P".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Personally i pronounced it pewned, came about by takin the mick out of pwnd, pronouncing it the most rediculous way, and pewned just stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I say "powned".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭ExOffender

I've always pronounced it 'pyuned', since well before I looked up the wikipedia jazz and found most people say 'owned' or 'powned'.

Pyun3d for life!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

madrab wrote:
    i believe its pronounced "shut up you internet nerd" :D

That would be my prefered pronounciation as well.

Although as I'd hear it mostly from the mouths of squeaky voiced American 10 year olds on Halo, I'd be hitting the mute button shortly afterwards so I'm not certain as to their general consensus on the prononciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Boned with a P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I always say pooned.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Pohned thats how i say it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's not a real word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Why would you need to know how the word is pronounced? If you ever say that word in real life, expect a (well deserved) wedgie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

l33t is a written language - there is no spoken version. The word "pwnd"/whatever is a derivitave of english, and therefore pronounced "owned".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

"Pawned" represent. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Well I do my best not to use that word I would say pawned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 psychooys

pawned and powned, are diffrent for me, you can pawn somebody's head, but powned is when you straight up own somebody.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

pooned

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

personally i don't pernouce it at all as it's just a stupid typo by someone who can't spell :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

owned or pawned

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I think it's pronounced "owned". I read somewhere before that it came about because blizzard misspelt "owned" as "pwned" in warcraft 2.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lord Oz wrote:
    I think it's pronounced "owned". I read somewhere before that it came about because blizzard misspelt "owned" as "pwned" in warcraft 2.
    yes,i know him.it was a map creator that misspelt ownd and it spread like wildfire.pronounced for ease as 'pawned' or another way pwawned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Being a mod means being able to add your own bizzare pronounciations. Pwnd bitchs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

It's pronounced "owned", simple as that.

Though I don't object to some people pronouncing it "poned" as these are noobs. "poan" however is a perfectly acceptable word.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

"Pawned" represent. :D

Word :D

I'm Rick James, Bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭ExOffender

Much more people than I thought would, went for 'pawned' and 'no pronunciation'. Not being an online gamer myself, I figured plain old 'owned' would take it. Pyuned has been left in the dirt... pyuned, you might say, has been... no. Better not. :D

@madrab and ropbinph: It's always amusing to see things like that posted on internet message boards. Cheers for the laugh. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

amp wrote:
    Being a mod means being able to add your own bizzare pronounciations. Pwnd bitchs.

"I just pween noobs"

Advertisement