Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Honda Civic

Options
  • 19-08-2005 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Wel, it's not a concept car anymore:
    http://img91.exs.cx/img91/195/newcivic.jpg

all I can say is... *breadvan* alert!

I thought the last Civic was bad, but this is even worse. Looks bland and boring to me. The recent Accord and Integra models are excellent, so why does the Civic look like a crap "Eurocar-by-numbers"?

Maybe the US or Jap version will be nicer.. most likely. No ways could they get something that looks that dumb...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭dmck2886

Theirs something about it that I like

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I'm mad about EK Civics (96 - 00). They are in my top 5 favourite cars on the road. But the new models don't look anywhere near as good. I'd even prefer the family saloon to the breadvan hatch look.

Honda have become Eurocar fashion victoms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

"Honda have become Eurocar fashion victoms!"

Perfectly said
    GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR , I F***ing hate the new trend of all the japanese cars trying to make their cars more "westernised" , and all those designers who think "oooh lets make it unique" and "bold design" should be shot.

Its doesnt compare to the low slung , aerodeck , clean line designed civics of the 90's (or any car for that matter) .

totally agree with u mate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

oh no, its happening.... I'm starting to like it, that type R does look nice and 250 horses is a nice bonus :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

it makes me want to puke to be honest. I much prefer the look of then mid 90's. They were nice looking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

PlayaFlow wrote:
    "Honda have become Eurocar fashion victoms!"

This car looks nothing like the bland crap the europeans are trotting out. I think it is a bold, fresh, original design. Have you seen the dash? Unashamedly japanese, and so much better for it.

The only European competitor that comes close for originality is the Citroën C4.

@Dagon - what breadvan were you thinking of? Compare this to the new Punto, Clio, Polo, Fiesta/Focus. The last Civic was Euro-bland. This Civic is much more adventurous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I quite like it from first impressions, but then I quite liked the new 5 series at the beginning too. Anything's better than the last couple version of the Civic though, it's been the dullest car on the road for a good while now. I yawn when the pass me in the street.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

in my opinion i think it looks disgusting. but i do ilike the new honda integra.

they are beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Oh me likee very much. After years of going the wrong way with the Civic, Honda are heading the right way with this one. The hidden rear door handles, sexy twin tailpipes and sharp angles it is a bold statement in comparison to Fords mucked-up Focus redesign ("Lets make it look more like a Mondeo - great idea Henry...") and the rest.

'c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

click on this for a good look (flashplayer & broadband required)

honda uk

Looks lovely...I want it...I want it now.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

it is a bold statement in comparison to Fords mucked-up Focus redesign ("Lets make it look more like a Mondeo - great idea Henry...") and the rest.

yea agree with you, the new focus is so bad its nearly a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Yeah it is "adventurous", but is that necessarily a good thing? Maybe I shouldn't have used the word boring in my original post.

You could say the recent Subaru Impreza's have been totally unadventurous, yet they are some of the coolest cars on the road IMO. The new Civic looks adventurous in a mainstream-pleasing kinda way. Can't really explain why..

But hey, they need to sell cars, and it probably will. But I'd prefer to stick with a 98 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

How the fup does it look like a fupping bread van?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

How the fup does it look like a fupping bread van?
    You have to drink a pint of paint thinners, turn your head to one side and almost completely close your eyes.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

How the fup does it look like a fupping bread van

It doesn't, well not like any bread van's I've seen. What amazes me about the Civic and the breadvan image is that the Civic, Focus (99-04) and Corolla (03-) all look the same, really they do. Ah well personal opinion I think.

The thing with Honda that seems to bypass most people in back in the hey-day of ESi's and VTi's Honda produced a car that was reliable and relatively light. With a powerful engine it went like the crazy. This was good fun. The sad thing about these Honda was that they were simply not very safe.

The 92-96 models are like driving around in a crisp bad and simply collapse upon impact. The 96-00 models were a little better but only made an overall NCAP 2.5 star rating. Thus they were ideal candidates for boy racers to kill themselves in.

As part of it overall vision Honda designed the latest model of Civic (and all of its other cars) as safety first and everything else next (first man, then the machine). This can be seen in it's NCAP results. Ok, they are safer models on the road now, but in 01 when it was first released it's NCAP results were very impressive. The overall styling was Honda approach to have a safe car with loads of space and style it after than. Funny thing is now the latest VW Golf Plus looks very like the current generation of Civic (IMO)

The new Civic achieves 5 star NCAP crash test results with 4 star pedestrian results. This is incredible and no other manufacturer has yet reached this. What is truely amazing about this car is it managed to achieve this and still looks sporty and not like a sponge or box.

So the Civic has grown-up to be a sensible car that you are safe in. If you want lunatic rides with no protection, buy a fast motorbike. If you want a lunatic ride with all the protection buy a Civic Type-R.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Nice car .. pity about the cheese boards on the back. One would have been enough

Advertisement