Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serenity Comics

• 19-08-2005 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

Has anyone read these? What did you think of them?
    I got issue 2 in Forbidden Planet the other day, but had to order issue 1 off the 'net.

I have to say, issue 1 is good enough, but issue 2 is a MUST READ. There is an absolutely brilliant twist in it. I know I didn't see it coming.

They're cheap enough, too. Got it in Forbidden Planet for 4 euro. 3 dollars on the net, though.

I cannot wait for issue 3 to come out. I hope Joss turns this into a regular series.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

A few questions:

Does Joss write them?

Which publisher does the, you know, publishing?

Does Forbidden Planet have No. 1 now?

How long are they, in pages?

If you know, when's 3 coming out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

Joss Whedon does write them himself, and he's got a team of his favourite artists doing the artwork.

I think it's 'Dark Horse' who does the publishing.

Last time I checked, Forbidden Planet said they wouldn't be getting issue 1 in again until there was a reprint. So the net's the only way to get it at the moment, I think.

Issue 3 is out in early September, if I recall correctly.

EDIT: Oh, and they are about 22 pages in length, each one. Well that's what I counted in issue 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

it is dark horse, and i picked up issue 1 from FP today so go go go.

im not overly enthused with the artwork, but the writing is as snappy as the show.

plus the enara cover is pretty decent (except her face sems a bit wonky)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Cool, I was hopping FP would be doing these. I'll pop in tomorrow and Pick them up :D

Some of the artwork isn't great. I've heard people saying Inara resembles a bloated chipmunk in it. :p And I'm not inclined to disagree..

• Advertisement

Just popped in to F.P. today and got the second last #1 and final #2 which the guy had to get from the back because it was put into his stuff when they got it but he didn't want it after all (lucky me). You're right, Inara does look like a bloated chipmunk!

These are the first proper comics I've ever bought. Nicely priced. I got them both for €8.30.

Oh you dirty!

I went in, must have been just after you. The lads down stairs just laughed and said they had sold out again. But they said they will hopefully be getting more in during the week. (Thursday more then likely)

sutty wrote:
    Oh you dirty!

I went in, must have been just after you. The lads down stairs just laughed and said they had sold out again. But they said they will hopefully be getting more in during the week. (Thursday more then likely)
    What time did you go in at? I bought mine at (according to my receipt) 14:06.

What time did you go in at? I bouth mine at (according to my receipt) 14:06.

I was in and walking about for a bit. Say 14:50. Met a mate in there. Talke to him for abit then asked at about 15:10 :(

/me brakes down and cries lol

I was in around that time too, but they had sold out. :( Luckily I only wanted the two variant covers I didn't already have. :D

Picked up a copy of Whedon's 'Astonishing X-Men' instead. According to my receipt on that, I was there around 14:48.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

What time did you go in at? I bought mine at (according to my receipt) 14:06.

That is so unfair. I was in FP yesterday and was informed that both issues were totally gone. I stumbled across The Third Place on my home and asked if they had any issues.

They had No. 2 but I'm holding off reading it in case there's a reprint of issue 1.

My receipt from The Third Place was at 13:23.

Where is The Third Place? Might have a look in there.. better than paying loads for postage and packaging on the net.

Well, I only discovered it myself yesterday so my directions won't be the best. The address is "Unit 3 Sprangers Yard".

It's in the Temple Bar area, just off Dame Street. I think it's the turn after the Central Bank. Not far from Crow Street if that's any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

3rd place it beside the back entrance of the Foggy Dew pub, if thats anyhelp

Thanks, I might go there sometime soon. I must get the Zoe and Book covers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

Daelus wrote:
    I have to say, issue 1 is good enough, but issue 2 is a MUST READ. There is an absolutely brilliant twist in it. I know I didn't see it coming.

I actually thought that the 1st issue was the best, i thought the hunour and the characters were transferred really well from screen to comic.

spoiler question for anyone who has read the comics :
    question:
    Is the guy who is obsessed with Mal meant to be the allience guy that he shot (supposedly dead) in the pilot?

yeah, it would be great to see it as an on-going series, especially if joss was to write it...

Answer:
    Yeah, that's Dobson, the fed Mal shot in the pilot. They call him Dobson in the comic, too. Plus he was on Whitefall in it.

I thought issue 1 was too focused on the action. Issue 2 had some more character moments, and witty dialogue.

Aggg... curse ye and your having the comics and your spoilers and stuff

thanks for the info Daelus....
    With only 3 issues of the comic leading into the movie it looks like the 3rd issue will either tie the story up way too quickly or be a cliff hanger that leads into the movie...it'd be nice to see the comics continue in their own right......

Now, I'm new to the whole comic world so when it says that Serenity #3 will be out on September 1st will it be in stores (specifically F.P.) on the 1st?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Anyone know where I can buy these comics online for a reasonable price? I can't find any online comic stores... I'm not looking to get fleeced on ebay, I just want to read the comics in time for the movie!

Try the stickies in the Comics board. I think there are some online comic stores in there.

Now, I'm new to the whole comic world so when it says that Serenity #3 will be out on September 1st will it be in stores (specifically F.P.) on the 1st?

it'll be in the Forbidden planet on thursday the 1st
    Anyone know where I can buy these comics online for a reasonable price? I can't find any online comic stores... I'm not looking to get fleeced on ebay, I just want to read the comics in time for the movie!

Try googling 'mile high comics'
    ......just had a look on e-bay, those prices are not great alright.....

Well I tried F.P. and Sub City (is that right?) and they both said that Serenity #3 would be in next week. *sigh*

Yeah, I tried Sub City myself this evening. If anyone spots it in stock, share the knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Almarsáre

I got mine from Things From Another World

YAY!! a cheep online shop for the comics. Thats all 9 of mine ordered :D

yeah same thing happenened to me (and with the newest issue of 'supreme power') its out next week - sorry to steer you wrong dude!

So does anyone know what day they're coming out this week? Are they already out?

• Advertisement

So does anyone know what day they're coming out this week? Are they already out?

the new comics are generally instores on a Thursday

Advertisement