Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS to charge even more for X360 in Ireland

Options
  • 19-08-2005 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

€309.99 and €409.99 for the two different models, respectively (vs €299 and €399 elsewhere in Europe). There's a nasty rumour doing the rounds that games will be up to €65 too.

Lovely, eh? I believe this may make us the most expensive country in the world for it, unless MS screw over Japan extra hard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Are we really surprised?

Frankly I thought they'd put it up more (and I wouldn't be surprised if quanatities are limited and Game and co add on a premium anyway).

I'll be bringing mine over from the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I doubt MS would decide to have it more expensive over here. Shops on the other hand might decide to slap an extra €10 on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

It's the official MS RRP:

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single5240

I hope to good God retailers don't try and pump things up even more, though I expect bundles.

I'm more concerned about peripheral pricing to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

EA been touting €70 upwards to develop games for it at a profit.So Epic doing the unreal 3 and 4 engine , Ea own Criterion and Id selling D3 engine to anyone. The prices touted will really justify hard working game design :rolleyes:

It has a hard drive....hmmmmm

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Yep, twas in the Irish Times this morning as well - MS decided to write to them for featuring the wrong (lower) price in a recent article...

Well done MS - way to keep the Irish in your pocket.

I was already unlikely to buy one, but the extra €10 has annoyed me enough to make me certain that I won't.

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    It has a hard drive....hmmmmm

For €410, yeah (or €100 seperately), but since it's not standard, it's really just a glorified memory card now - games can't depend on it like they could with the Xbox hard disk. The only reason I'd consider it initially is because the mem cards are so expensive - €40 for 64MB! - they make it look like good value (and it's pretty damn hard to make a €100 20GB hard drive look like good value, but they managed it!).

I was ready to put down €300 or even €350 for the 360 with a standard hard disk, but I think I might save my pennies toward a better TV for now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

€65? Back to the old old pricing when the Ps2 was first out!
    Well, if I don't import my machine I'll certainly be going online for my games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Who do microsoft think they are charging 409.99 for a games console all it does is play games. I am going to have stick with my ds now and maybe get a revolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

all it does is play games
    It does a bit more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

thats a bit odd caus in GAME we started taking 20 euro preorders today and we have prices sayin the original price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Are they taking the urine?

Well that removes one console from my ever increasing "to buy" list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

could it be that tax on electrical goods now that the makers are passing onto the consumer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

No, that's Europe wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Ireland in being more expensive than everywhere else shocker
    F*cks sake, i know its only a tenner but its still taking the piss, why single us out?? I was considering getting one at launch but now i may have to rethink it...i know its only a tenner but its the principle dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

testicle wrote:
    No, that's Europe wide.

Not yet..... alot of European country's wont be starting that tax till Feb next year like England.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

flogen wrote:
    €65? Back to the old old pricing when the Ps2 was first out!
    Well, if I don't import my machine I'll certainly be going online for my games.

Remember though, if you import you more than likely WON'T be using X-box live if they will continue using it on the new system.

Plus, anyone familiar with the £60+ people shelled out for SNES games years ago...?? and thats when people had alot less money .

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TweekeewT

Or could it be that the €299 & €399 Europe-wide prices are based on, say, Germany, whose VAT rate is 16%, rather than our own 21%? MS might just not be willing to soak up the total amount of the loss they'd make on the pre-tax value.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I doubt MS would decide to have it more expensive over here. Shops on the other hand might decide to slap an extra €10 on it.

Games Toaster and other Irish sites have been given a press release with €309.99/€409.99, while Eurogamer are reporting €299/€399. I've just emailed MS about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

monument wrote:
    I've just emailed MS about this.

/monument gets rolled up in a carpet and thrown off a bridge by bill gates hired goons

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

Deadwing wrote:
    /monument gets rolled up in a carpet and thrown off a bridge by bill gates hired goons
    LOL shot too just in case.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Who do microsoft think they are charging 409.99 for a games console all it does is play games. I am going to have stick with my ds now and maybe get a revolution.

I think 400 is more than a reasonable price for a machine with the graphics potential of a top spec pc that would cost 2000.

I don't know why people bitch and moan about new console prices when it's always been like this. Your paying for some high spec gear, that the companies are losing money on. And 65e isn't that bad for a game considering the amount of work that goes into games these days, especially all the next gen ones. The console developer, the games publiser, the games makers and the shop selling the game all have to make a profit. It's not like it goes right into their pockets. Tbh I can't beleive games don't cost more these days considering old snes games used to be 50-60 pounds and most of those games were made by a team of 3 or 4 compared to the huge teams that make todays games.

Stop moaning and get over it. You are getting value for your money.

BloodBath wrote:
    I think 400 is more than a reasonable price for a machine with the graphics potential of a top spec pc that would cost 2000.

Consoles always initially outpace PCs, X360 isn't unique in that.
    BloodBath wrote:
    Stop moaning and get over it. You are getting value for your money.

Very very arguable when you consider systems coming out next year and what they're likely to cost - yes PS3 may be a little more expensive (although I don't know vs the premium pack), but you're getting a lot more for your money. That's what value is all about.

Also, for anyone wondering if it's official for sure or not:

msconfisdent360news.JPG

The 'Note' dashes my hopes for using a usb key or network storage for games stuff :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

GAME are taking pre-orders at €399 so I don't know what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

According to here it'll cost €320/€420 in Finland.

I had been thinking of buying the 360 on launch but the price is really turning me off - I'd really want the version with the HD, wireless controller and wireless network connection. It's ridiculous when you consider that you need to pay €200 above the base price for these things. Plus I get to pay an extra €11 because I live in Ireland? No thanks.

Microsoft have obviously decided to maximise the profitability of the system between now and the PS3 launch.

sharper wrote:
    According to here it'll cost €320/€420 in Finland.

I had been thinking of buying the 360 on launch but the price is really turning me off - I'd really want the version with the HD, wireless controller and wireless network connection. It's ridiculous when you consider that you need to pay €200 above the base price for these things. Plus I get to pay an extra €11 because I live in Ireland? No thanks.

Microsoft have obviously decided to maximise the profitability of the system between now and the PS3 launch.

The 400 euro isn't annoying me, ffs I payed 380 pounds for the PS2 at its launch. It's this little 10 euro surcharge thats annoying most people I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

grimloch wrote:
    ffs I payed 380 pounds for the PS2 at its launch.
    Me too. I certainly wont be an early adopter of any of this generations consoles. I'll be waiting for a price drop of the Xbox 360 around the time of the PS3 launch before I consider getting it tbh.

We're all talking about the prices and what comes with each package - any news on "killer apps" yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

grimloch wrote:
    Are they taking the urine?

You're taking the urine; asking that. Of course its going to be more expensive here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i was in the new revovated game today and they have the prices as follows.

360 with hd - 399.99
    360 w/o hd - 299.99

Kazaanova wrote:
    You're taking the urine; asking that. Of course its going to be more expensive here.

I cannot see how the tenner extra can be justified.

Although it appears it was maybe a mistake as GAME are charging 400.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It’s apparently for VAT reasons according to the local Xbox/MS press office, who kindly [not sarcasm] gave a prompt reply to the question... full story

Advertisement