Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS to charge even more for X360 in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

monument wrote:
    It’s apparently for VAT reasons according to the local Xbox/MS press office, who kindly [not sarcasm] gave a prompt reply to the question... full story
    I don't really believe that story. Assuming this wikkipedia table is accurate then Portugal has the same rate as us but they're paying less for the Xbox 360. Finland is 1% higher but they're paying more than us.

Of course this is the great thing about the Euro, you can easily compare the prices between countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Exactly Grimloch its not teh 10 euros, its teh fact that Ireland gets a special price exempt from the rest of Europe. (when Europe was priced as 310 /400)We need the EU office in Ireland to start fining MS for these tricks, Ireland is in Europe, Ireland gets Euro price, end of story.

This is VRT thing over again, Ireland is part of Europe but when it comes to transparent pricing compared to teh rest of Europe, Official Importers and Distributors still treat us as a Euro free zone.
    :mad:
    Plus if anyone is getting this DO NOT get the core system, u will have to buy a memory card to save anything/use MS live which will cost 40/50 euros min.

So (320 + 50) 370 for X360 Core or 410 total includes Hard Drive AND wireless controller. the 310/320 deal is just a marketing ploy from MS so it can advertise it as XBox 360 from 310 Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

LookingFor wrote:
    Consoles always initially outpace PCs, X360 isn't unique in that.

Very very arguable when you consider systems coming out next year and what they're likely to cost - yes PS3 may be a little more expensive (although I don't know vs the premium pack), but you're getting a lot more for your money. That's what value is all about.

Also, for anyone wondering if it's official for sure or not:

msconfisdent360news.JPG

The 'Note' dashes my hopes for using a usb key or network storage for games stuff :(

209.00 GBP
    United Kingdom Pounds =308.663 EUR
    Euro

279.00 GBP
    United Kingdom Pounds =412.043 EUR
    Euro

Now what the **** is the problem? Our price works out the exact same as the UK and they have lower VAT rates...

Anyway, its only a fecking tenner.. Comparing it to VRT and disparities of 5000 in car prices is thick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Its probably got something to do with what distributor you are getting them through.
    One would guess that retailers here will be getting their stock from one particular warehouse while Game, even here, will be sourcing them from the same people as their shops back in the UK, hence the price differential.
    Seeing as most Euro countries are on the "mainland", the lower shipping costs may contribute to the slightly lower rrp.
    As the goods have to be shipped by sea or air to the UK, this would explain why they are paying the same as us for the new console.

Really though, paying €410 for a new console is pretty good, anyone work out how much it is in '90, '95 and 2000 money so we can see how the cost compares to the Megadrive, PS1, PS2 and Xbox launch prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

IGN has a good feature where they compare prices taking in to account inflation and the likes. Its pretty interesting.

The funny point they make is that the 360 and saturn had the same launch price, maybe an omen?! :D

The saturn would cost almost $500 in todays money while the NeoGeo would cost over a $1000!

So for everyone crying over the price of the next gen, try and remember what the previous gens cost. (crying over the extra 10 on the 360 is allowed though cuz its a joke)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

LookingFor wrote:
    Consoles always initially outpace PCs, X360 isn't unique in that.

Very very arguable when you consider systems coming out next year and what they're likely to cost - yes PS3 may be a little more expensive (although I don't know vs the premium pack), but you're getting a lot more for your money. That's what value is all about.

For a start this is the first time a console has ever outpaced a pc. The graphics card in the dreamcast was over a year old in pc circulation by the time the dc came out and that console was ahead of its time.

Also what are you basing your comments about the ps3 on? How are you getting a lot more for your money? Are you getting a Sony Plazma screen thrown in? No...

I really dont know what all the fuss is about. Its the same price as the UK. Its only a tenner, if you let 10 quid bother you after shelling out 400 then you've really nothing better to do with life than to moan.

Look at it on past consoles. N64, €85 a game on release. Saturn €506 on release... It is getting cheaper. If you dont like the price wait until the PS3 comes out and get it for the knock down price? Do you have to have it straight away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 psychooys

i think MS is sorta missing the point... they really arn't the #1 console out there, and asking for this much $$$ is sorta a joke :/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

So far, from working on the front line (tee hee), no one is bothered with the "Core System". Customers who have come in to preorder the machine have all gone for the full package, when I put the question "which model are you going for" to one customer, they replied "the proper one". Nuff Said.
    It also says to me, given that I personally have taken more 360 deposits in 3 days than I have PSP deposits in the entire preorder campaign that people are happy to pay the €399 for the machine, of course this could just be the rush of hardcore xbox gamers and we have yet to see if the average gamer gives a crap.
    (seriously, that's no lie. Now, to be fair I haven't taken a whole load of PSP deposits, but still)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

yea but tbh most people dont bother with handhelds. the majority of psp owners will be kids getti them as presents and stuff from what I 've seen in our shop.

the xbox is different. im actually gona put down a deposit cause I can see the allocation being very small.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Nobody's pre-ordering PSPs because anyone who wants one already has one. Why pay more so you can wait longer for the European version with more limited firmware?

The X-Box 360 is very reasonably priced though I'd have said. Hasn't the release price of consoles always been roughly 400? And thats pounds not euros. It'll drop fairly quickly I'd say. And the 300 option, as much as I hate the fact that they've made the hard-drive 'optional'(read useless), I can see people going for that version for their kids. It's not being pre-ordered much yet because its not aimed at the hardcore gamers who are pre-ordering at the moment but the parents who probably aren't even aware the X-Box 360 exists yet. And €300 isn't a whole lot more than the 250 or so current gen consoles were selling for last Christmas(I think), the fact it has a wired controller and no memory card just seems gimped next to the other model, but wired controllers and memory cards are what we've been dealing with from new consoles for the last decade without too much difficulty.

Having said that I still don't know if I'll be buying one. It all depends on if I see a game I want, and can't just get for the PC. So far there's not much there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

iregk wrote:
    I really dont know what all the fuss is about. Its the same price as the UK. Its only a tenner, if you let 10 quid bother you after shelling out 400 then you've really nothing better to do with life than to moan.

Its that attitude that allows us to be constantly ripped off in this country. Its not the tenner, its the principle. When would it bother you? €20, €50, €100?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Nobody allows you to be ripped off in this country other than you? Dont like the price dont pay it!!! Simple as that. I have no intention of paying 400 for it as thats way to much. I will wait 6 months, get the 2nd or 3rd gen with the bugs fixed and for about 100 or so less.

I will be getting the 1st gen with all its wonderful bugs and will gladly take advantage of all the exploits :)

400 euro is a very reasonable price for a new console launch..

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

skywalker wrote:
    Its that attitude that allows us to be constantly ripped off in this country. Its not the tenner, its the principle. When would it bother you? €20, €50, €100?

V A T Rate

Our vat rate is higher by on average 5% over our european/uk counterparts. Thereby the tenner is completely justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

When you consider how powerful the console is, that its basically a high end pc in a small box, with wireless controller, dvd playback, wireless remote, hard disk, for 400 quid isnt bad at all. Think about how much the ps2 went for on its release, with 1 controller and no memory card!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

BluE-WinG wrote:
    V A T Rate

Our vat rate is higher by on average 5% over our european/uk counterparts. Thereby the tenner is completely justified.

I understand. My point was about the Irish "sure its only a tenner mentality".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Actually, regarding the psp, the pre-orders in Gamestop have exceeded to initial stock allocation, so one would reckon there are quite a number of people out there who want one on release, you must realise that we are the exception, we are those who take a keen interest in gaming and are well informed, most are not and rely on the press and tv for their info, that is why Fifa sells so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Anyone remember when the original Xbox came out? They had to lower the price about 2 weeks after launch or so because they had priced themselves out of the market. I certainly am reluctant to buy a new games console on launch but prices like that are IMO enough to put ppl off altogether from buying these things until the games lineup improves and the price of the console becomes more reasonable. Also if MS are going to charge an extra 10 quid more here than in the rest of europe wouldnt they get into trouble with the EU for price rigging like Nintendo did a while back?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

Infini wrote:
    Also if MS are going to charge an extra 10 quid more here than in the rest of europe wouldnt they get into trouble with the EU for price rigging like Nintendo did a while back?

Value Added Tax

No seriously VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Actually, regarding the psp, the pre-orders in Gamestop have exceeded to initial stock allocation, so one would reckon there are quite a number of people out there who want one on release, you must realise that we are the exception, we are those who take a keen interest in gaming and are well informed, most are not and rely on the press and tv for their info, that is why Fifa sells so much!

Yea I know that but the people who pre-order in the first place are also the exception. I'd expect the PSP to sell well once it's released but anyone who goes to the lengths of pre-ordering, I'd expect the vast majority of them to import. Same goes for the 360, it's real popularity will be seen at Christmas and the following year, not the people pre-ordering it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

i think MS is sorta missing the point... they really arn't the #1 console out there, and asking for this much $$$ is sorta a joke :/

Buy a 2nd hand ps1 for 20e then and stop moaning.

BloodBath wrote:
    Buy a 2nd hand ps1 for 20e then and stop moaning.
    Exactly!!

I would say get an N64 but even a PS2 is worth getting, a lot of great titles are available really cheaply now, Mark of Kri, GTA3 and Vice City etc, the console itself could be picked up 2nd havd for €100 with a mem card and a bunch of games, if you don't already have one, why not?

Of course the best way not to be bored is with a chipped Xbox, with a fully loaded Mame, Snes and Genesis emus installed, nothing like a little Chronotrigger or Robotron to while away those cold winter nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

testicle wrote:
    No, that's Europe wide.

The original Europea idea was to slap it on the manufacturers (who would more than likely pass it down to the consumer).

The El Cheapo pack (no hdd) isn't worth buying.

The price of software will increase, as the learning curve for smp coding is going to be steeper than anything seen before. It's a complete paradigm shift.

I like the term paradigm shift. I will endeavour to use it more frequently.

But, regarding the prices of software, the market will only support so high a price before the sales of games will fall like a stone.
    We should hope that we will have a tiered system, with full big blockbuster games, games requiring further level downloads (a lot like shareware) and smaller titles that have a niche audience, all priced accordingly.
    This, along with similarly structured licensing charges by microsoft, will allow expensive titles to be sold along with cheaper titles, keeping overall sales up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

BluE-WinG wrote:
    V A T Rate

Why are we the only ones to pay extra? Our standard rate of VAT is less than some EU countries.

http://www.expatax.nl/vatrates.htm

Also, everyone who is complaining about the tenner is ****ing dead right, it's the non compaining 'just pay it' mentality that has Ireland in the state that it is in - in terms of consumer price index inflation and pricing in general.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Kernel wrote:
    Why are we the only ones to pay extra? Our standard rate of VAT is less than some EU countries.

http://www.expatax.nl/vatrates.htm

Also, everyone who is complaining about the tenner is ****ing dead right, it's the non compaining 'just pay it' mentality that has Ireland in the state that it is in - in terms of consumer price index inflation and pricing in general.

It's simple, because your machines are probably going to be coming via the UK, and the higher prices are UK conversion rates. The VAT argument is balls, it's just MS don't want to be pestered into sending stock straight to Ireland when the biggest companies (Game and HMV at least) have head offices in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

flogen wrote:
    It's simple, because your machines are probably going to be coming via the UK, and the higher prices are UK conversion rates. The VAT argument is balls, it's just MS don't want to be pestered into sending stock straight to Ireland when the biggest companies (Game and HMV at least) have head offices in the UK.

Hmmm.. maybe so, but we shouldn't be penalised for a British exchange rate which is out of our hands as an EU state signed up to the common currency. I'm sure they could have shipped from France or any other Western European country just as easily as Britain, therefore it is MS who is shafting us! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

No matter what they charge there will be hundreds rushing out to be the first to buy it. Im sure Blue wing will be rusing out the door to get one if he doesent already have it!

Advertisement