Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DELL Errors in online pricing

Options
  • 20-08-2005 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I don't know if ye are aware of this but there was a bit of a pricing boo boo on the dell website last week, XPS 600s being advertised for under €600. Most likely a pricing mistake but one that i believe many people tried to take advantage of.

Now i'm fully aware that dell have successfully covered their arses with the
    Please note that Dell will not be responsible for typographical, pricing or other errors and reserves the right to cancel any orders based on such errors.
    line included in their internet order receipt emails. So i figure that all of these orders should be null and void.

However it turns out that some people actually got confirmation (order acceptance) and the machines are showing up inthe online production schedule thingy dell have.

So there are 2 things i'd be interested in your opinions on

1)Would the fact that dell let some of the orders through have any effect on the the position for those that haven't received confirmation yet and are likely to be told to feck off.

2) Could DELL 'legally' - i know they'd try - cancel the orders of those that have gotten confirmation (order acceptance) now before the machines ship.

What do ye's think?

and no my order was not accepted :D and i didn't mind till i found out others were going through

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Don't the invoices usually have something such as "E&OE" (Errors and Omissions excepted) on them? This would probably free them of their stupidity. Although saying they are for under €600 is false advertising and so you could have a case there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Yeah, like I said above dell are covered by their
    "Please note that Dell will not be responsible for typographical, pricing or other errors and reserves the right to cancel any orders based on such errors." section but I was wondering whether your rights change once they process some and not others.

I.E. Are you being treated unfairly/discriminated against if they cancel your order but let an identical order by a your buddy go through.

NOTE: not ranting against DELL here just wondering what other people think about this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This kind of thing seems to happen to dell alot....maybe they need to knock some heads together in there IT Dept

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Dub13 wrote:
    This kind of this seems to happen to dell alot....maybe they need to knock some heads together in there IT Dept

I very much doubt it was a techie who made the problem, much more likely someone in their product management section.

Gateway made a similar mistake years ago, they had the price of a very nice Solo laptop very wrong. A mate of mine spotted this and put one in his shopping cart, toally specced it up and got the whole thing for around 900 punts, when the full price should have been closer to 3000. He made the order, and although they spotted the problem, they honoured his order.

Advertisement