Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SG:1 - 9x06 - 'Beachhead' [SPOILERS] (MOD Please Make me a Poll!)

• 20-08-2005 5:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

Hah, I always wanted to start one of these threads!

[Edit]
    Eek, cant delete thread and cant seem to edit in a poll.
    [/Edit]

What did you think of Stargate: SG-1 - 9x06 - Beachhead? 26 votes

Amazing
    0%
    Goooood
    46%
    VenomsuttyIvanPepe LeFritsScruffMr EjimmehmadrabOmegaRedmobstackeyedr gonzo 12 votes
    OK...
    38%
    Ping Chow ChiAsokR_TribesmanKevokjor elcregserInfiniirishshogunLord OzHande hoche! 10 votes
    Meh
    11%
    D-GenerateStarkmr_angry 3 votes
    I'd send my firstborn to a prim'tah ceremmony than watch this crap again
    3%
    ixoy 1 vote

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Really liked this one! Nice to see Carter back and not have the show dominated by Vala/Daniel interactions. And Vala finally contributed something positive!

Good SFX this week - loved the big nuke going off (yay more nukes!) but most of my love was for the might of the Supergate! That looks formiddable and there's always the chance it could be attempted again. But it's also good that SG-1 finally won a victory because, dramatically, it's something that's needed.

Oh and Landry was better this week - more command in his dealings with the Goa'uld. That's what he's been lacking so far although they were dumb to try and trust him at all...

And the Jaffa nation look like trouble, as we all felt they might be. Cooperation seems to be on their terms...

All in all, a good sign and it's nice to see a steady arc and train of thought permeating the season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Goooood
    I have to agree with everything Ixoy. A great ep. That SuperGate was class. I hope we get to see one starting up!

The Jaffa do look to be doing things as they want. Which is what you would expect from slaves that have just been freed. Heres to seeing more of them!

It was lacking something before this ep.. who would have that that thing would be one Charactor with just a few lines!. Hope she is back for good now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Goooood
    Absolutly loved this episode so hopefully now that the Ori have been set up we can get back the cool factor thats been so badly missing from the last few episodes.

Carter being back is great even tho she didnt do much lol. Tela'c having more screentime was really cool and him so casualy mopping the floor in the basketball match was just damm cool. Jackson and Valla dropped back to the background which was much needed to get this show back on track.

The prior of the Ori was just damm ****ing cool and the whole supergate idea was fantastic. I was really hopeing it would form up but maybe later in the series. Did anyone else think those ships/parts that made up the supergate were puddle jumpers when they first appeared?

Landry was much better this episode but still needs to go as he just lacks a certain ummph that Jack oozed. The constant phone calls to Jack type jokes really ****ing suck and are just not funny. The Jaffa nation looks like its going to be trouble down the line but I predict they are just being set up so the Ori can wipe the floor with them.

Its taken a good 6 weeks but SG1 is not back up on my must watch list over BSG and SGA in which gets watched first :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Goooood
    Loved this episode..... The supergate was so damn cool. I think we'll see Vala pop up and save the day sometime later in the season. The scene with the Prior at the start was excellent too.

Top notch stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Meh
    Good enough. Bored me for the first half, got better in the second half. It was nice to see the Ori finally do something more impressive than walk through stargates and say scary things to peasants. Good exit for Vala as well, I was thinking for the first half of the episode "Ok, she's outstayed her welcome with me, she's not as funny and charming anymore" but she redeemed herself somewhat at the end and it made me feel "oh damn, I hope we see her again to see that she's ok".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Meh
    I opted for "Ok" in the poll, though I was tempted to go for "Meh". I thought the overall idea was good, but the execution of the plot of this episode was quite poor IMO. If I could recognise that the weapons were having a positive effect on the energy shield after a total of about "5 earth seconds" (sorry :p), then I'm pretty sure Carter could too. How the hell did it take her so long to work that out? And another thing that had me peeved - there is no logic whatsoever in believing that Vala is alive in the Ori galaxy. That is complete crap based on the misguided notion that there is a black hole next to the SuperGate there. For one thing, the black holes were there to power the SuperGate, not to transfer matter from one point to another themselves. Secondly, there are more than two black holes in the universe - the idea that the newly created one is somehow linked to the Ori black hole is rediculous. And thirdly, our current understanding of black hole physics suggests that Vala will be radiated back out into the universe as Hawking radiation at some point in the distant, distant future. Please read that rant in the voice of McKay. :)

Apart from all that, the episode was alright. I was disgusted for most of the episode at the idea that a Goa'uld could be used as some kind of humourous aside, rather than their inherent malevolant characteristics that over-ride all their behaviour would suggest, but then they redeemed themselves at the very end with the fact that he was working with the Ori, so I couldn't really complain about that. I get the feeling that last week's Atlantis writers were the ones who were working on SG:1 this week. With a bit of luck, somebody will slap them around with a large scientific trout before they do next week's!

On another note, I don't think any of the Priors look as cool as the one who spontaneously combusted on the SGC.

</rant>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

OK...
    I dunno mr_angry. Something about the way the prior casually went back to chanting from his book appealed to me. I liked him. He seemed more matter-of-fact than the other priors who seemed to hype things a bit much for me. I dunno.

I loved the expression on the face of the Goul'd guy at the end:
    "What could possibly compell me do that?" ... "Hunger".
    Quality!

One thing though. If the Ori can beam priors to different galaxies at will, and keep gates open for a month (which apparently takes a sh*t load of power), why do they need a supergate? But it's still a cool idea.

Meh
    To fit bigger things (warships, etc) through?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

cregser wrote:
    One thing though. If the Ori can beam priors to different galaxies at will, and keep gates open for a month (which apparently takes a sh*t load of power), why do they need a supergate? But it's still a cool idea.
    Bigger warships/fleet of course. I mean the gate only lets a puddlejumper through and that's not as impressive as a fleet, now is it? And anyway it looks damn impressive so surely that's enough :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Class Ep. Wanna see this army they have. If its a b!tchin load of priests it will be terrible. Vala gone? She'll be back i guess-
    Nukem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Goooood
    Amazing episode episode.

Vala was transfered through the link that was forming through the new Super stargate and the original one in the Ori's Universe, in the form of energy. By using the rings, she was pulled through the Black hole and presumably reconnected with the nearest rings in range.

The slowness of getting the correlation between giving the forcefield energy and it getting bigger was pretty annoying, imho.

Carter was nice to have back, (and dont linch me for this) but I almost prefered Vala and Daniel's interactions.

Anyway, overall another amazing episode, gets my best rating for another week in a row. I almost feel like I had of given last weeks vote a bit less...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Meh
    Ivan wrote:
    Vala was transfered through the link that was forming through the new Super stargate and the original one in the Ori's Universe, in the form of energy. By using the rings, she was pulled through the Black hole and presumably reconnected with the nearest rings in range.

Where she prompty froze and asphyxiated in the blackness of space. Such a pity too, I really love Claudia Black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Goooood
    Incorrect. She could not be reconstituted without another set of rings to convert her from energy to mater. Simple transporter physics, my friends :p

The ring energy (in the Ori's galaxy) would be attracted by a ring platform, these generally exist inside ships or on planets... therefore... follow me now...

Meh
    Neurrgh! It doesn't matter. Nothing escapes from a black hole - not light, not ring energy, nothing! The ring energy should be torn into incoherence by the force of the black hole, and in a couple of billion years, radiated back out (in the same place) mixed up with everything else as Hawking radiation.

Even if someone were able to connect a black hole and a companion white hole in another part of space-time (and I'm humouring the writers here because this is really impossible), the amount of matter streaming out the other side would make it impractical. Do you know how much matter and energy gets sucked into a black hole? It would be like having a rubbish tip right on your doorstep spewing crap constantly into your area. Nobody in their right mind would want that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

mr_angry wrote:
    Even if someone were able to connect a black hole and a companion white hole in another part of space-time (and I'm humouring the writers here because this is really impossible)
    I'm certainly no physicist, and everything thing I know about wormholes comes from a Channel 4 documentry hosted by that Larry Flynt guy, but doesn't this kind of wormhole make more scientific sense than the stargate-based wormholes that we see every week? Why is this harder to accept?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Goooood
    Nerds. :p

(I want her to be alive and to pop up and save the day in the season finale, so leave her alone!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

OK...
    Very good episode, and I really enjoyed it. I'll miss Vala though as I thought she was quite good, hopefully we'll see her again though.

One thing that gets me, other than Carter not seeing the relationship between the weapons and the forcefield, is if the Ori can send through a Prior and keep the gate open, then why not send through nukes themselves to power the force field? They didn't really need SG1 to bring a nuke surely? I'd imagine that if they are building large war ships and such that they have some sort of big power source.

Also, thrusting the Goa'uld, that was just silly. Especially when he was saying that they must use they're most powerful weapon on the force field. They must be getting stupid or something to fall for this :rolleyes:

Other than that though, it was quite enjoyable and I hope we see another supergate, with ships coming through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

jor el wrote:
    One thing that gets me, other than Carter not seeing the relationship between the weapons and the forcefield, is if the Ori can send through a Prior and keep the gate open, then why not send through nukes themselves to power the force field? They didn't really need SG1 to bring a nuke surely? I'd imagine that if they are building large war ships and such that they have some sort of big power source.

The Ori seem to be going for psychological warfare, the plague and all that.What would be worse than doing exactly what your enemy wants you to do and only realising it when it's too late :)
    TmB wrote:
    (I want her to be alive and to pop up and save the day in the season finale, so leave her alone!)

It'd sure be a twist if she turned up next season as a Prior :) Although they all seem to be male.

Advertisement